I want a new Sport but, the ATP is faster and deeper.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Does the new whites have a couple new features that the AT pro doesn't?? Yes it does but does it blow the doors off the AT because of this??? Nope! Or should I say blows it out of the Water?? Haha!! No pun there. Both are water prof and Whites has a done a little more sugar coating, but they didn't come out with some brand new invention or feature that gives it a remarkable edge over the AT pro. Has a fricken back lamp and a threshold. Brilliant!!!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your presuming this is the only conversation. I've been hearing it for the last two years.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The age old argument, which detector is best for the money...LOL If your brand loyal it's your brand. If it's a new detector you just bought it's your new detector. If you're a serious hobbyist and have multiple detectors it is the detector you're using for the type of hunt you're on that day.

As many have said before me it all boils down to how well you know your detector the better you know the more you find.

Most new people to detecting want depth and we have all seen guys dig holes deeper than any detector can even pick up a signal but 98% of all finds are 6" or less. The deepest I ever found anything was 11" in the sand but I knew it was because I was on a sand beach.

I have made all the mistakes one can make. I have swung to fast, I have swung in an arc cutting down the area I though I was covering by 30%. I have dug next to concrete with rebar in it and realize after I dug a hole over 12" it was the rebar in the concrete.

I have learned so much from this site and now consider myself a competent detectorist.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATGold and I can swing that beaut all day no probs. well there's another two cents down the rabbit hole.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro went through its growing pains when first released and it took some time for Garrett to get ahead of those issues. Whites now has the task to get the MXS market ready. It is just that Whites appears to have a much bigger job to accomplish that task.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it will be a competitive product to the AT Pro. I can't say which is better, it's like Fords and Chevys. They will both get you to your destination. To me, detectors are tools in the toolbox. I tend to pick the right tool for a specific hunt.

If you want a waterproof detector with 2/4/8/20 tones and a backlight, then the Whites will fill the bill. It has a threshold option, decent display, accurate pinpoint depth, and decent depth in my soil. The AT Pro is also an excellent unit, good depth, likes jewelry and silver coins, is very waterproof and easy to set up.

Time will tell as more people get the Whites MX Sport in the field. I'm sure we will continue to sell lots of AT Pros and many MX Sports. I've got hundreds of hours on the AT Pro and 1 hour on the MX Sport at this point.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
If whites guys would go to the Garrett forum and start a post like this one it would cause a meltdown. You whites guys are good sports.

Well it's simple when u love the machine your using and it's the best for you . Someone telling something else is better holds 0 weight . Personally I hope all the Garrett guys keep there pros . The less whites machines on my fields the better ;). I've owned /used garrett at machines, didn't really like em . They are ok, just not for me . I wouldn't trade my machine for anything

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it will be a competitive product to the AT Pro. I can't say which is better, it's like Fords and Chevys. They will both get you to your destination. To me, detectors are tools in the toolbox. I tend to pick the right tool for a specific hunt.

If you want a waterproof detector with 2/4/8/20 tones and a backlight, then the Whites will fill the bill. It has a threshold option, decent display, accurate pinpoint depth, and decent depth in my soil. The AT Pro is also an excellent unit, good depth, likes jewelry and silver coins, is very waterproof and easy to set up.

Time will tell as more people get the Whites MX Sport in the field. I'm sure we will continue to sell lots of AT Pros and many MX Sports. I've got hundreds of hours on the AT Pro and 1 hour on the MX Sport at this point.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

I absolutely agree.....my complaint is there is no new technology in this new MX Sport, so why didnt they build it years ago? Garrett has had little competition in the mid-priced, waterproof machine class....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no use for a back light, but that also eats batteries. Myself when it gets dark its time for me to be in bed.:laughing7:
Yes i have no use for a back light either if i need light i just use my the light that you put on your head.. DSCN0876.JPG

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Those work great. Can see all around you wherever you look when it's pitch black at the beach. Good for looking down at your footing and obstacles around you in the dark.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for climbing up into a treestand before daylight or after dark too!

jbrick

Oct 5, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
MX Sport, CoinmasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering upgrading to the MXS from a CoinGT. I am very impressed with the depth the machine gives. Is that a smart move for me considering what I am using now? Or would someone recommend something else in that price range? I have seen Whites MXS videos on youtube and they look impressive.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering upgrading to the MXS from a CoinGT. I am very impressed with the depth the machine gives. Is that a smart move for me considering what I am using now? Or would someone recommend something else in that price range? I have seen Whites MXS videos on youtube and they look impressive.

If I had your choice I would wait until more of the wrinkles have been ironed out, then make my move provided current issues have been addressed.

jbrick

Oct 5, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
MX Sport, CoinmasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that it's spring, I really want to get something soon. I will wait another few weeks for some more reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd throw myself into the debate. I'm as new as they come, about an hour of backyard time with a second hand BH Platinum and waiting for the brown truck to come today with my new Ace 250 and pro pointer (I found the deal on the BH after I placed my order for the Garrett gear). But this stuff is addicting to say the least. I'm already looking at the differences on the intermediate detectors. Its been hard to find a water proof detector that can beat the ATP's price of 600 bucks. But for another 150 for the back light and the being able to control volum on the disc sections and honestly I like the way the panel looks over the ATP. I think thats worth another 150 when your going to put out 600 already. But as this thread title is pointing out, NOT if the ATP still goes deeper and faster. If they're the same that would be great. The MXS has more features for 150 and if the features dont impress you, the the ATP is there for a savings. Everyone wins.. I do hope the MXS performs as well as the ATP. I love gadgets and competition like this... You just gotta sit back and enjoy it.
Well just my Very inexperienced opinion. But it looks like I'm joining this hobby at an exciting time.

David

jbrick

Oct 5, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
MX Sport, CoinmasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to pull the trigger and get one. I feel like I am wasting my time with my CoinGT as it only gets 5-6in in the ground. I would hate to be missing things deeper. The fee videos I have seen in YouTube I am impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it is still available but Cabelas had the ATP in store sales for $400.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread