I want a new Sport but, the ATP is faster and deeper.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out of town on a relic hunt, I'll try to find out coil weight when I return. The new coils should start shipping within two weeks. Regarding the audio, there are multiple settings available - audio modulation was what I was running in my video. I'll turn it off next time and see how the tones sound. The Racer 2 looks like a great unit, but if you want to hunt the water, this one should serve you well.

It is my understanding that the original coil is epoxy filled and the late arriving accessory coils are not and will weigh much less. Lets hope they will be at least a pound or better lighter. If a new user has to purchase the accessory coil instead of being able to select coil size when buying a new unit, then that is going to run the initial cost up in the $900 range. There would have to be some exceptional performance gained and weight loss to justify that amount. Someone on the factory side of the house had better do a little figuring on a possible marketing change in the near future.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no way a company is going to sale a machine that is better and waterproof(MX Sport) for a lower price than a machine that is "inferior" and not waterproof(MXT All Pro)....im not falling for that.....I knew as soon as the price was released that this machine would not take the place of the MXT All Pro.

Of course not, I was just saying the OP needs to take a little bit more time to learn something new. :)

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Beerguy, there is a water proof DFX. The Beach Hunter ID300 is essentially a water proof DFX300 without the VDI screen.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed in this and another posting the lack of other (smaller) coils for the MXS. The listing on the Whites website, under specifications, lists the eclipse series as compatible so I''d think any owner with other eclipse machines would be eager to add an MXS to their arsenal.
luvsdux

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed in this and another posting the lack of other (smaller) coils for the MXS. The listing on the Whites website, under specifications, lists the eclipse series as compatible so I''d think any owner with other eclipse machines would be eager to add an MXS to their arsenal.
luvsdux

I don't believe that the coil plug is comparable with the MXS. it requires their waterproof plug.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't believe that the coil plug is comparable with the MXS. it requires their waterproof plug.
I'd say that makes sense due to the water proofness, but I didn't notice a mention of that on the site (which doesn't mean it's not there, just that I may have missed it)
luvsdux

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about that, i know this is just one test but this gentleman knows his machines well and shows all settings on a controlled test garden and found the Whites MX Sport to be deeper. But yes the ATP is faster, i cant for the life on me figure out why Whites did not redesign the processor architecture or added another ? For crying out loud I'm in the IT field just look at the processing power found in Raspberry PI device and its size, you'd think they can design a faster machine.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beerguy, there is a water proof DFX. The Beach Hunter ID300 is essentially a water proof DFX300 without the VDI screen.

Yes but a VDI screen along with more control options and waterproof in small housing design would be great. The V3I Spectrograph and frequency bargraphs are fantastic. Imagine a V3I in an MX Sport like housing maintaining the same depth and all other parameters and settings.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, it's true by my tests.
Also, will any detector manufacturer please reduce number of batteries! The new Sport has sooo many it weighs 4, (yes four), pounds. GL on yur next 8 hr hunt w/o a bungee.
Great features, but I gotta let this one pass for the price.
Opinions please...
Regards, The Kid

How did you test if your going to pass because of price? I'm confused.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too wish that they would have made a waterproof clone of the DFX as that is what's useful at a saltwater beach.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If whites guys would go to the Garrett forum and start a post like this one it would cause a meltdown. You whites guys are good sports.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro has suffered a lot of grief over its weight, balance and ergonomics since it was released......now the MX Sport will receive some of that grief. A 10 or 11 inch coil that is designed NOT to float in the water is not going to be feather light. The only new feature on the MX sport is the waterproofing......something Garrett has had for years.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro has suffered a lot of grief over its weight, balance and ergonomics since it was released......now the MX Sport will receive some of that grief. A 10 or 11 inch coil that is designed NOT to float in the water is not going to be feather light. The only new feature on the MX sport is the waterproofing......something Garrett has had for years.

Seems to be quite a few improvements over atpro . Starting with threshold and backlight.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be quite a few improvements over atpro . Starting with threshold and backlight.

I have never had a need for a backlight on any machine....and threshold alone is far from an improvement.....Some hunters prefer a silent search machine. Whites could have came out with a magnet on a hickory stick, painted it up pretty and some would say "Beats the heck outta the AT pro"!!!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a need for a backlight on any machine....and threshold alone is far from an improvement.....Some hunters prefer a silent search machine. Whites could have came out with a magnet on a hickory stick, painted it up pretty and some would say "Beats the heck outta the AT pro"!!!

Here you go immediately being defensive. I never said anything about performance. You seem to have your mind made up which is funny because I'm sure you haven't used one. Just going by this thread and the one you started about this detector and the Racer you seem to be an authority on detectors you have never used. Let me guess you watched a video. Roflmao

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used a MX sport.....but i have watched all the videos i can find on these two, and i see nothing "new or exciting" about the MX sport.....and when you are offensive i will be defensive.....THERE IS NOTHING I SEE IN THIS MACHINE TO BE AN IMPROVEMENT OVER THE MXT or AT pro other than the waterproofing......i have used the MXT! I think this is a poor attempt by Whites to compete with Garrett's waterproof machines.....that is also a day late and dollar short!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about whites guys being good sports. My last hunt I walked up on a conversation where my hunting buddy was told not to invite anyone......it was a public area lo. I had the AT Pro out pulling relics out every step I took lol. I left and never looked back. I am always open and available to the new hunters here in my area. I am glad when I see folks digs stuff up even if I walked over it. There is more stuff and more ground than I will ever be able to hunt in my lifetime. As for a back light, it would be nice if the AT Pro had a back light. Got into a place where the hunting was good and it got dark. I think the new machines are getting better. Hard to think the AT Pro is now last years tech. I would hold off buying anything till you have done more research and gave Whites the opportunity to show you the MX is the machine for you.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used a MX sport.....but i have watched all the videos i can find on these two, and i see nothing "new or exciting" about the MX sport.....and when you are offensive i will be defensive.....THERE IS NOTHING I SEE IN THIS MACHINE TO BE AN IMPROVEMENT OVER THE MXT or AT pro other than the waterproofing......i have used the MXT! I think this is a poor attempt by Whites to compete with Garrett's waterproof machines.....that is also a day late and dollar short!

You should point out where I was being offensive. It is was laughing because you proved my point I can't help that.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about whites guys being good sports. My last hunt I walked up on a conversation where my hunting buddy was told not to invite anyone......it was a public area lo. I had the AT Pro out pulling relics out every step I took lol. I left and never looked back. I am always open and available to the new hunters here in my area. I am glad when I see folks digs stuff up even if I walked over it. There is more stuff and more ground than I will ever be able to hunt in my lifetime. As for a back light, it would be nice if the AT Pro had a back light. Got into a place where the hunting was good and it got dark. I think the new machines are getting better. Hard to think the AT Pro is now last years tech. I would hold off buying anything till you have done more research and gave Whites the opportunity to show you the MX is the machine for you.

I'm glad you like your atpro. Seems not that long ago you had a different opinion if I remember correctly. My point is how can you discount a detector that you've never used. If I'm wrong about you and the atpro I'm sorry, but you used to dislike it and then you must've tried it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread