Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to GPS the exact spot and take notes.

IMO you have found bronze.
There is the remote possibility this is some form of scrap metals bars but I doubt it. ... but ?

Anyway...
Keep you spot to yourself and slowly get 2 bars at a time without interest of others...
other wise... your cool find will be gone when you return.

They are worth grabbing each time you return to investigate your area....
Who knows what else lies in this spot.
The suspense is killing me on how this one pans out and would like to see updates on your progress and future finds... so please keep us tuned in. :)

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, keep cool and tell no one if it's in a remote area.

Otherwise...get a bigger boat.

Good luck Slycer, get em' all!

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the feedback I'm hoping for no rain so River stays low and going to head back sunday... You guys even got me excited��

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would probably do some research and see if there were any foundry's or machine shops close by. melting down scrap for future use is pretty common around shops . its what i do with all my shavings and small pieces .it could have been swiped and stashed . but who knows.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1342443 and I was having great luck with walleye as well haha... My 2 favorite things metal detecting and fishing...fish until I find an interesting place to detect... Cheers

I wish I had time to fish, maybe I could give up work....

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for the feedback I'm hoping for no rain so River stays low and going to head back sunday... You guys even got me excited��
Get "sick" until you have gotten all of them. Or at least dug and hidden all of them. You can't assume the river will stay low. Even rain hundreds of miles away can cause the river to rise overnight.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get "sick" until you have gotten all of them. Or at least dug and hidden all of them. You can't assume the river will stay low. Even rain hundreds of miles away can cause the river to rise overnight.

Agreed... time is of the essence.
Either level will change...
OR...

Someone else will be telling the story of "the haul of bronze ingots" one day.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Agreed... time is of the essence.
Either level will change...
OR...

Someone else will be telling the story of "the haul of bronze ingots" one day.

The question begs asking, is this located on your property, state or federal property, or other private property?

Words to the wise, Be careful..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Slycer; another thing is if you can trace those bars to a specific Company with Dates in Business you could easily sell them for their Historical Value which is about 20% more than scrap. If the Company was famous then you can multiply the Historical Value Exponentially. No matter what you do have a great find there. Let Us know your End Result as far as how many bars etc. Then I think We ALL should Vote Banner which I think would take KING BANNER with no problems here. If there is Gold in those Bars you are now RICH indeed. If not, you still have a SWEEEETTTT Payday coming ok. CONGRATS. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

PS: Let Us know. The suspense is killing Us ok. thanks.
Also, Is there ANY kind of Markings on them ?? That could help Us further pin down a Date Range for you ok.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question begs asking, is this located on your property, state or federal property, or other private property?

Words to the wise, Be careful..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC; I think his answer should be "I don't know." !!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not too hard to determine the metal content, if it's a pure metal.

submerge it in a graduated container to determine exact volume, weigh it on an accurate scale, then google a weight/volume chart, do some math.

of course if it's an unrefined bar, it could contain several metals.

Good Luck, keep us posted. :thumbsup:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC; Sorry about that. I misread the Posters name on the location question. My bad. Thanks. PEACE:RONB
It's old age.!!! :tongue3:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ID SAY MAN STRUCK IT RICH IN THE LEAD DEPARTMENT . NEET TO FIND A BUNCH TOGETHER ON A RIVER BANK .

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg any distinguishing marks?..on the bottom when it was poured had a small indention maybe something was printed or just cooled that way but you can see it in the pic..no worries on location or laws and I will go back asap but we have had a few inches of rain last couple days..and it was about 5-6 miles up River bout hour and a half... Didn't think much of them at first( thought it was just iron)luckily I brought a magnet..cheers and wish me luck

Last edited:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look dirty and heavy you should just let me get them ready and I will take them to the dump for you. That way you can get back to treasure hunting LOL congrats and still looking forward to seeing them all together and figuring out what they are from.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1342919 any distinguishing marks?..on the bottom when it was poured had a small indention maybe something was printed or just cooled that way but you can see it in the pic..no worries on location or laws and I will go back asap but we have had a few inches of rain last couple days..and it was about 5-6 miles up River bout hour and a half... Didn't think much of them at first( thought it was just iron)luckily I brought a magnet..cheers and wish me luck

Often present on the surface of the bar as it cools. The stamp I would think to be on the other side or the "top" as it would sit. Same thing is present in this silver ingot I found, although not as noticeable.

Attachments

• 1470122087417.jpg
    1470122087417.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 140

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1342919 any distinguishing marks?..on the bottom when it was poured had a small indention maybe something was printed or just cooled that way but you can see it in the pic..no worries on location or laws and I will go back asap but we have had a few inches of rain last couple days..and it was about 5-6 miles up River bout hour and a half... Didn't think much of them at first( thought it was just iron)luckily I brought a magnet..cheers and wish me luck

This is not a mark...
And...
Not the "bottom"...

What you are seeing is the top of the ingot... when it was poured...
and the mark as you call it is actually a "cooling / constriction" scar.
Now granted...
When one sees an ingot they are stacked with the top down due to this shape.
It is in a "V" shape as to aid in removal from a crucible.

What you have found is definitely ingots of something.

That photo says it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to find place but river was up and wasn't exactly sure where along bank others were... Will try again up river a bit ... Did find some more cool stuff today including an old buckle image.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread