Jackpot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Man I wish I could have dug these. My wifes uncle found these in a shoebox in the attic. His father dug these in Kinston N. C. a long time ago. Theres no question for me that they are real. What should I do and how do I authenticate them? These are just a few of the relics. I have a lot more

Attachments

• civilwar%20043.jpg
    civilwar%20043.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 3,758
  • civilwar%20069.jpg
    civilwar%20069.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 3,621
  • civilwar%20011.jpg
    civilwar%20011.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 3,585
  • civilwar%20051.jpg
    civilwar%20051.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 3,594
  • civilwar%20012.jpg
    civilwar%20012.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 3,664
Upvote 0
If you can authenticate all these items and you want to sell them, they belong at a MAJOR auction house in New York. The ones where the buyer pays the premium. Not you. Also make sure you use their conservator. Don't try to do anything with them yourself. If their conservator screws up, you get paid. Don't put yourself at risk.

Daryl

Oh My! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I know you did not dig them, but I still say banner!!

If that's not true treasure nothing is! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Very nice. I agree with the majority that you should contact the top Civil War auction house with this collection if your intention is to sell. If Civil War auctions work like other high dollar item auctions I've seen in the past, the seller pays a seller's commission and the buyer pays a buyer's premium, each in the 10% to 15% of hammer price range. Still, it is probably the best way to get top dollar for these items.

Of course you could always donate them to a Civil War museum :wink:

wow what an amazing collection .....sorry I'm just like everyone else I cant think of anything to say but wow you lucky SOB...... :icon_thumright: congrats

I know William Gavin personally. He is a very good friend and also wrote the "first" book on Civil War plates and accoutrement's. He knows his stuff and would be who I would contact. He lives in West Virginia. If you need some help getting in touch with him let me know.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I had to go wipe myself off in the bathroom. . .

W O W. My jaw literally dropped, first time ever, honest injun.

You have some amazingly beautiful relics there, and I know a great many guys near Kinston that would love to have that history pop out for them now.

Certainly don't do anything to clean them for starters, second, I also would advise putting them immediately into a safety deposit box until they can be professionally examined in a secure setting. There is the literal possibility that you ARE in the 6 digit range, so you want to be as safe as possible here.

Good luck with your amazing pieces of history there!!

Well.....If you have a lot more...........you can send one my way..... :laughing9: :laughing9:

Take your time and do your reseach...... like to see a pic of the entire collection...... :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

I think the Title "Jackpot" for this thread is spot on :o
I reckon, your Wife's Uncle's Father should be made an Honorary TNet Member:notworthy:

Mike

WOW those are some nice relics there.

usmc0351 said:
i enlarged the cs oval, and would be interested in seeing the back, the "c" and the serif on the "s" is questionable, mullinax's expanded version doesn't show anything close to this plate, and kerksis's plate book doesnt show an oval in any type with a double rope border,,,,,

I don't know CW plates, and have no books to compare, but what do you think of the corrosion? That blue-ish color I tend to think of as chemical type patina. I don't think in 10 years I've dug a relic with that color patina, has anyone else?

I hope this isn't a case of too good to be true, but will keep my fingers crossed and follow the thread to see what happens. If he was a digger and a collector there very well could be both authentic, and maybe not so authentic pieces.

good greif what a haul --- once "proofed" as "real" by a reputible auction house --you should get some very serious money for those items**do not not try to be cheap and home clean or repair / fix -- in anyway whatsoever. --leave that to the "pros"

OH DEAR GOD SWEET BABY JESUES OF BETHLEHEM I WILL NOMINATE YOU FOR A BANNER A FIND IS A FIND I GOTTA GO CLEAN ME AND THE COMPUTER CHAIR UP AFTER THIS COMMENT

WOW. Banner! What a collection of civil war buckles :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:!

Those buckles are amazing! If I had opened the box well lets just say that I would be sitting down for a very long time just looking at them and thinking about the history they represent and the men that wore them. Someone said there were 5 buckles? From your pics there are more than just 5. Please give us an update of what you discovered about these wonderful buckles and more pics please. And if you can a pic of the entire collection. This is banner all the way! :coffee2:

BioProfessor said:
HOLY CRAP!!! MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

If these are real you have hit the jackpot of all jackpots. Put them in a safe deposit box NOW. NOW. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200 dollars.

You are well into 6 figures. Way into 6 figures.

HOLY CRAP. MOTHER OF GOD!! Did I say that already. I gotta lay down.

Daryl

Nice stuff... but well into 6 figures? He has 8-9 buckles... worth 15K+ each? That's a bit of a stretch I would think. Still a very nice collection though.

HOLY MOTHER OF MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I died and gone to heaven. Beautiful Collection......Thank's for making me go out every weekend!!!!

well my friend you got problems I wish I had right now Unbelievable /Nice small fourtune there It would be worth talking to a high end auction house IE southeby's in nyc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back