Janis Joplin 1967 California Hippie Concert Posters

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. I bought them as reproductions, because the seller thought they were in too good shape to be originals. Well, guess what? I think they actually are originals. Size (16" X 22") and markings match up exactly with everything I have been able to research about these particular posters. If there are any old hippies here that can give me any advice about them I would much appreciate it.

The posters are from concerts held at a venue called The Ark in Sausalito, California in 1967. Bands include Moby Grape, Big Brother and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's first group), and Jack & The Ripper.

postervenus.jpg

postercupid.jpg

posterback.jpg

posterback2.jpg

posterfron2t.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure_Hunter said:
Iron Patch said:
I gather if you make a big profit you will go back and pay the seller more. It's the right thing to do. Only crooks would take advantage of someone's honest mistake.

IP, your not serious are you?

Pay him no mind. He is just upset over a disagreement in another thread. Much like a toddler, you just have to let him get it out of his system.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I buy 50 acres of land from someone in North Dakota for $10,000, and then find oil on the land, do I owe the previous owner more for the land? :icon_scratch:

If I buy a box of books at a garage sale, and find one that is a rare 1st edition do I go back and give the seller more money? :icon_scratch:

If I get divorced and in the division of the property the exwife's attorney says the house we owned is worth $100,000 from an appraisal done 3 years earlier and I then refinance the home to give the exwife her $50,000 because she doesn't want to live there, do I give her an additional $15,000 when the appraisal for the new loan comes back at $130,000? :icon_scratch:

My personal answer to all of these are NO.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I gather if you make a big profit you will go back and pay the seller more. It's the right thing to do. Only crooks would take advantage of someone's honest mistake.

He only passes judgment on others. He is afraid to look in the mirror.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

Exactly. When it's his great deal it's a score, not a crime.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure_Hunter said:
If I buy 50 acres of land from someone in North Dakota for $10,000, and then find oil on the land, do I owe the previous owner more for the land? :icon_scratch:

If I buy a box of books at a garage sale, and find one that is a rare 1st edition do I go back and give the seller more money? :icon_scratch:

If I get divorced and in the division of the property the exwife's attorney says the house we owned is worth $100,000 from an appraisal done 3 years earlier and I then refinance the home to give the exwife her $50,000 because she doesn't want to live there, do I give her an additional $15,000 when the appraisal for the new loan comes back at $130,000? :icon_scratch:

My personal answer to all of these are NO.

I agree. Again, this is just overflow from another thread.

It's pretty simple.

Basically, Iron Patch and his henchman bazinga and I had it out in another thread concerning the proper ethics of those who choose to run a coin shop for a living. I argued that coin shop customers should be given a fair market value by the dealer, with the Whitman Blue Book (dealers price guide) serving as reference, and that all said transactions should be in adherence to the standards set forth by the American Numismatic Association.

They vehemently disagreed and claimed that a coin dealer should not adhere to spot price, numismatic value, ect., but that instead the coin dealer should operate on the "Garage/Yard Sale" mindset and try to pay one dollar or less for everything that walks into your store.

Then they mad, as evidenced from the above posts. ^

They are, what the younger generation now calls, "on my ****", and "haters!".....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

I guess I need to research some past threads to see what is going on.....

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Treasure_Hunter said:
Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

Please do. Be sure and check out the one where Iron Patch ridicules some poor guy who claimed he lost 300 grand, even though our boy IP won't earn that much in three lifetimes...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

The thread reached 100+ posts and then was deleted.

We basically argued that a coin dealer could offer whatever he wanted to offer for something and it was the seller's responsibility to be aware of what the item was worth.

Of course, now he is buying/selling to make a profit and when he buys something from somebody, he doesn't offer fair market value.

But, the gist of every post he made was that coin dealers were crooks / criminals.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I'm just trying to preserve my hobby for future generations. Why must I continually suffer these merciless attacks? I have feelings too, you know?

This is getting monotonous. I think I'll go hit some teller trays the next town over to blow off some steam. It's been a rough day of suffering through personal attacks from Iron Patch and ballzinga. I will return shortly to continue this LOLfest.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bazinga said:
What was your detector set at to find these?

It was set to "awesome". Thanks for asking. ;D

I set my detector to "groovy", "out of sight", or "far out man". ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow this is the first time there was a disagreement at TN and Im not involved in it! :D
:lurk:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Hand Fluke said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bazinga said:
What was your detector set at to find these?

It was set to "awesome". Thanks for asking. ;D

I set my detector to "groovy", "out of sight", or "far out man". ;D
:laughing1: classic Rock posters 8) Big Brother and THC Janice , one of the Best , dig :icon_sunny:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
GA (Garfield) 1-8923 my old S.F.phone number was (Juniper) 6-4373.They went to Area codes in 1969 a present S.F.Number would now look like (415)123-4567 . I'm betting those are originals unless that phone number was copied on reproductions . Lido Studio is no longer listed ,it was located in the North Beach area ( a few blocks away where my parent's and I lived when I was born) the birthplace of the "Beatnik's).

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you find that they are worthless repros, will the man give you back some money? :tongue3:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
dirt doctor said:
GA (Garfield) 1-8923 my old S.F.phone number was (Juniper) 6-4373.They went to Area codes in 1969 a present S.F.Number would now look like (415)123-4567 . I'm betting those are originals unless that phone number was copied on reproductions . Lido Studio is no longer listed ,it was located in the North Beach area ( a few blocks away where my parent's and I lived when I was born) the birthplace of the "Beatnik's).

Thanks for the info. That was just what I was looking for. I was wondering what the "GA" stood for. Crazy that phone numbers were like that. I remember not having to dial an area code to make a local call, but dialing only 5 digits seems really weird.

I appreciate it dirt doctor.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I love that groovy kind of artwork, it takes me back to a simpler time and place...even though I was only eight... ffd

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked Hendrix's version of the star Spangle Banner......
[/quote]
Saw Hendrix at the second Atlanta pop festival in '70. He played the Star Spangled Banner among many other great songs, sometime around midnight, (the best I can remember.) He sure could work that wah wah pedal!!! For some reason, that period of time is a blur to me!!! May have something to do with the drug dealers plying their wares all up and down the sides of the roads leading to the racetrack where the festival was held. A lot of the 500,000 plus never even made it to the concert area, they hung out at the local river skinny dipping, trying to beat the 100+ temps. Man those were the good old days :tongue3:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do let us know the results after your research. Betting money goes to repro...edges are just too crisp and these posters were not printed to last.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread