Janis Joplin 1967 California Hippie Concert Posters

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. I bought them as reproductions, because the seller thought they were in too good shape to be originals. Well, guess what? I think they actually are originals. Size (16" X 22") and markings match up exactly with everything I have been able to research about these particular posters. If there are any old hippies here that can give me any advice about them I would much appreciate it.

The posters are from concerts held at a venue called The Ark in Sausalito, California in 1967. Bands include Moby Grape, Big Brother and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's first group), and Jack & The Ripper.

postervenus.jpg

postercupid.jpg

posterback.jpg

posterback2.jpg

posterfron2t.jpg

Upvote 0

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. snip

Excellent deal Tuco. They "look" authentic but I would get them checked out by a reputable/knowledgeable person: Like Noel Barret on Antiques Roadshow.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is my 8 track tape worth anything? :D

Attachments

• jimi hendrix 8 track.jpg
    jimi hendrix 8 track.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 540

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Rudy Franchi through his web site:

http://www.posterappraisal.com/

Rudy is one of the experts that appear on Antique Road Show from time to time. He has about 40 years experience dealing in paper art. He will evaluate your poster photos for free and give you his opinion.

I have dealt with him, I bought a $50 poster off ebay and with his guidance sold it at auction for $2000 two months ago. He doesn't charge a fee, read his web site and it explains.

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saw a
Treasure_Hunter said:
Ben Tover said:
never saw hendrix but would loved to have seen him sing All along the watchtower-seen the stones -zepplin and tull-tull was a good!
the who -stones-george harrison-and many others a cant remember-lol! still have most of my sticket stubbs-i need to check them out!
this thread deserves a farout and groovy :thumbsup:

I always liked Hendrix's version of the star Spangle Banner......
Saw Hendrix at the second Atlanta pop festival in '70. He played the Star Spangled Banner among many other great songs, sometime around midnight, (the best I can remember.) He sure could work that wah wah pedal!!! For some reason, that period of time is a blur to me!!! May have something to do with the drug dealers plying their wares all up and down the sides of the roads leading to the racetrack where the festival was held. A lot of the 500,000 plus never even made it to the concert area, they hung out at the local river skinny dipping, trying to beat the 100+ temps. Man those were the good old days :tongue3:

I was in route to the Atlanta Pop Festival when the transmission on my '69 Austin Healy Sprite went out, I didn't make it to the festival.....

It sucks getting old, but we grew up durring some of the best music in history........Seeing Joplin and Hendrix live was great, as was seeing all the other super groups of the time......Rock music for the most part sucks today.....

I had front row tickets for the Stones, saw Rod Stewart with Jeff Beck and Faces on his first U.S. tour front row, Saw Ike and Tina Turner in 1970 in a local bar, Tina was H-O-T...... Was within 50 feet of Led Zeppelin, Saw Jethro Tull 10 row, Pat Benatar in a bar.........Many more of the greats..........

I can relate to the blur myself, and yes those were good old days....

[/quote]

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Funny they called them "Dance concerts". You don't think of those bands as playing dance music. Unless its the type of dancing they did at Greatful Dead shows! :D

With LSD and you can dance to anything.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Curious The George said:
Contact Rudy Franchi through his web site:

http://www.posterappraisal.com/

Rudy is one of the experts that appear on Antique Road Show from time to time. He has about 40 years experience dealing in paper art. He will evaluate your poster photos for free and give you his opinion.

I have dealt with him, I bought a $50 poster off ebay and with his guidance sold it at auction for $2000 two months ago. He doesn't charge a fee, read his web site and it explains.

Wow! Thanks man! I just sent him an email w/pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread