Janis Joplin 1967 California Hippie Concert Posters

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. I bought them as reproductions, because the seller thought they were in too good shape to be originals. Well, guess what? I think they actually are originals. Size (16" X 22") and markings match up exactly with everything I have been able to research about these particular posters. If there are any old hippies here that can give me any advice about them I would much appreciate it.

The posters are from concerts held at a venue called The Ark in Sausalito, California in 1967. Bands include Moby Grape, Big Brother and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's first group), and Jack & The Ripper.

postervenus.jpg

postercupid.jpg

posterback.jpg

posterback2.jpg

posterfron2t.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben Tover said:
I always liked Hendrix's version of the star Spangle Banner......
Saw Hendrix at the second Atlanta pop festival in '70. He played the Star Spangled Banner among many other great songs, sometime around midnight, (the best I can remember.) He sure could work that wah wah pedal!!! For some reason, that period of time is a blur to me!!! May have something to do with the drug dealers plying their wares all up and down the sides of the roads leading to the racetrack where the festival was held. A lot of the 500,000 plus never even made it to the concert area, they hung out at the local river skinny dipping, trying to beat the 100+ temps. Man those were the good old days :tongue3:
[/quote]

I was in route to the Atlanta Pop Festival when the transmission on my '69 Austin Healy Sprite went out, I didn't make it to the festival.....

It sucks getting old, but we grew up durring some of the best music in history........Seeing Joplin and Hendrix live was great, as was seeing all the other super groups of the time......Rock music for the most part sucks today.....

I had front row tickets for the Stones, saw Rod Stewart with Jeff Beck and Faces on his first U.S. tour front row, Saw Ike and Tina Turner in 1970 in a local bar, Tina was H-O-T...... Was within 50 feet of Led Zeppelin, Saw Jethro Tull 10 row, Pat Benatar in a bar.........Many more of the greats..........

I can relate to the blur myself, and yes those were good old days....

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
She had that rough, tough, raspy voice. Not my favorite but way ahead of her time.
Was that Southern Comfort that she drank?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
She had that rough, tough, raspy voice. Not my favorite but way ahead of her time.
Was that Southern Comfort that she drank?

Yes it was Southern Comfort she drank, I use to drink it myself, but now can't stand to smell the bottle cap, too many bad hangovers from too much comfort....

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Treasure Hunter-you couldn't have said it better. Those were the days of great rock n roll (and like you-I don't remember half of I did!!!). Funny that my kids-or not really kids any more-ages 24, 26, 27, 29, 30-have gotten into that "old music" as they call it. They are fascinated with the 60's culture. Can't really tell them everything-they may be shocked at the things their Dad did!!
Bet you wish you had that Austin Healey now!!

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
My sister was a teenager in the late 1960s and she saved some of these rock show posters,
along with a whole bunch of fan magazines.

She gave them to me to sell on Ebay and they sold fairly well.

:)

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. I bought them as reproductions, because the seller thought they were in too good shape to be originals. Well, guess what? I think they actually are originals. Size (16" X 22") and markings match up exactly with everything I have been able to research about these particular posters. If there are any old hippies here that can give me any advice about them I would much appreciate it.

The posters are from concerts held at a venue called The Ark in Sausalito, California in 1967. Bands include Moby Grape, Big Brother and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's first group), and Jack & The Ripper. Want to double your money ? I will pay shipping of course, it's the right thing to do .... ;D

postervenus.jpg

postercupid.jpg

posterback.jpg

posterback2.jpg

posterfron2t.jpg

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
romeo-1 said:
Please do let us know the results after your research. Betting money goes to repro...edges are just too crisp and these posters were not printed to last.

From all I can gather these appear to be the real McCoy. The copyright "Portal Publications 1967" seems to jive with other original psychedelic rock posters I have seen. And, as Dirt Doctor pointed out, the SF phone number stamped on the back is pre-1969 before they switched to using area codes. The guy I bought them from said they came from his deceased father who had kept them stored flat underneath his mattress for many years, so that might explain the condition. There is only one slight corner bend and no holes or tears in either of them.

I read that "Portal Publications" actually did print reproduction posters in the 1960's - but they were all old movie posters from the 40's and 50's like King Kong and Frankenstein. I'm assuming they were printing new rock concert posters and repro classic movie posters during this time.

I'm thinking about contacting this dude. I found his blog post after doing a google search. He is ranting about some fake psychedelic posters he bought off eBay (which are printed on a very thin stock that is nothing like the thicker card stock mine are printed on):

http://www.sydbarrettpinkfloyd.com/2010/12/rock-poster-scammer-alert-horridious.html

"All of you readers know who I am; you know that I have been in this game for many years and that I collect fine psychedelic poster art. You all know that I know my sheet."

He claims to "know his sheet" when it comes to original concert posters, so I am going to send him some snapshots if he is still around. He should know what is up. After all, he knows his s***.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
bigcypresshunter said:
allan said:
APPRAISER: In a collectors' auction I believe this poster would sell somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000

There's no way these are worth that much. Not even in the same ballpark I would imagine. For one, the Roadshow poster was a type that had never been seen; these seem much more common in comparison. Also, the Roadshow poster has "Janis Joplin" on it, where these read "Big Brother and The Holding Company". I think the fact that it was an east coast show would make it even more rare and valuable - mine are from shows in San Francisco where "The Scene" was located. I saw a really beat-up copy of the Cupid one go for around $170 on eBay, and the other one I have seen listed on some internet auction sites. Nowhere near the # above from Roadshow.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bigcypresshunter said:
allan said:
APPRAISER: In a collectors' auction I believe this poster would sell somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000

There's no way these are worth that much. Not even in the same ballpark I would imagine. For one, the Roadshow poster was a type that had never been seen; these seem much more common in comparison. Also, the Roadshow poster has "Janis Joplin" on it, where these read "Big Brother and The Holding Company". I think the fact that it was an east coast show would make it even more rare and valuable - mine are from shows in San Francisco where "The Scene" was located. I saw a really beat-up copy of the Cupid one go for around $170 on eBay, and the other one I have seen listed on some internet auction sites. Nowhere near the # above from Roadshow.
But cant we dream? :tongue3: :wink:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
bigcypresshunter said:
Have you read this dream story Tuco? He didnt have enough bags for the gold.
He filled his hat, socks, tee-shirt, pant legs and even ripped out his car seat covers.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,86636.0.html

No, that is the first time I have seen that thread. That kind of thing is incredible. I have an old home place I have been sitting on, but the thought of making a find like that is just mind-blowing...

I like the part where he said he "Got the heck out of Kentucky - forever..."

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
With the future uncertain, banks in financial trouble and people going bankrupt,
needing to hide their money from creditors,
Im thinking burying gold/silver will become more popular.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar.

I hope that the backing is acid-free. Some stuff will eventually "rot" paper (as well as the value of the item....)

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Zephyr said:
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar.

I hope that the backing is acid-free. Some stuff will eventually "rot" paper (as well as the value of the item....)

Oh yeah... It's the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions