Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a milestone for me, A dear friend and I hit the beaches today, I didnt expect anything more then the usual clad.. BOY WAS I WRONG.. The first ten minutes into the hunt, I dug up a 1942 Mercury dime..at first I thought it was clad, it was that yucky dirty looking, till I flipped it over and saw the Mercury head, I WAS THRILLED TO DEATH, MY FIRST MERCURY DIME.. I ran and showed my buddy, he was as excited as I was.. So we're humming along, having a good ole time, sweating our buns off.. clad here, clad there, no problem as Mumzie would say, I'll take it.. So we break for lunch, hit the sands again, I get this sweet high pitched sound, again this one was different, it had a ring to it.. so I dug and I said OMG ANOTHER ONE.. You bet your metal detecting butt it by God was another Silver Mercury, 1923... I just about had heart failure, infact, I was on such a silver high, that I didnt see the small wave comming a few minutes after finding that 1923 in the dry sand, and now I was in the wet sand, and there goes my new sneakers, But..that water felt so good, My good buddy Rick, laughed n I said, OMG THAT FEELS SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD, then I said well, heck, I might as well try a lil water hunting ( as I am watching for ugly clear and then the ugly brownish jelly fish YUCK) so I water hunted a tad enjoying my wet stroll thru the waves, I didnt care if I found anything in the water or not, I was on a sliver high, I was cooled off now that I was WET and squishy in my sneakers... It just didnt matter.. of course Rick, did mighty fine too today, lots of clad and a watch too that he found, and was still ticking.. So ladies n gents.. thats it for today.. I broke into a new world, found my first Mercury dime ( 2 in fact ) and feel like Just MAYBE I am starting to get along with my xt70.

psst, sorry bout the crappy pic, I tried to get em clear as possible...
One dime, the dark one, was found in wet sand.. the nicer one was found in dry sand

BootyBay

Attachments

• frontdimes.jpg
    frontdimes.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • backmercs.jpg
    backmercs.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,212
Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
wow, talk about luck!! congrats on two stellar beach finds, you dont get them often, if ever, on salt beaches! way to go!!

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
WTG Rae,
That's a double good day. Hope gold id next.
Joe

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congrats on your first Mercs! How does that XT70 handle the salt water? I really like mine and usually hunt in all metal, no discrimination and sensitivity up around 26. HH, Mike

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going bootybay, you deserve it for your persistence.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Rae, you are doing it. :thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats Booty!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of my favorite coins.

I suspect those coins have been "hiding" by being too deep to detect. Sand movement will get them to a detectable range. How and why particularly NOW...not sure of that answer.

Hoping for many more for you in the future (and a couple SLQ's too).

HH Joe

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karma/God the worldmind However you want to look at it. Felt bad for giving you such a dark silver find so had to make up for it with a nice shinny one. Welcome to the Merc Club, nice finds !

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
You all know how much I love this hobby.. But, remember a few weeks ago, I found that beautiful heavy sterling ring in Ocean city..and 30 min. later the owner came up and asked if I found it... and it was exactly as she described it.. so of course I gave it back to her.. and ya all said good karma will come to ya... well, I think its a comming along with the fact, I am understanding my xt70 better, although I still have a few more things to learn about it...it is finally clicking... so thank you all and that too is one of my favorite coins.. I love the wings...

booty whose still on a silver high here.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice thrill for you to get that Mercury dime, they always are nice to find. If Hannah does any beach erosion on Saturday, and I were you, I would make it a point to get out there as soon as you can after the storm. Best day for silver I ever had was on Ventnor beach after a big storm with severe beach erosion, I found 22 pieces of silver and couple Buffalo nickels. Regular beach hunters who I know from SJMDC club, hit ACY beach did way better than I did, just cannot beat hunting the beach after a substanial beach eroding storm, exposes older layers of the beach containing the older coins.

Don

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
I have my plan of attack, planned already... I got the fever bad..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and so it begins........ :thumbsup:

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pair of twin Mercs !?! Excellent!
That doesn't happen often.... :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread