New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would get used to it but instead I find myself coming here less and less...feels like a chore to come here...I hate the thumbnail pics...sad day for T Net. I still think the old format could have been upgraded and kept the same look...the new owners say they HAD to do this but I think they WANTED to do this. They say there was too much traffic on here for the old system to handle...guess what...not anymore. Ive honestly tried to get used to this but you cant get used to something that is so much worse than the old format. You want our support...admit you made a mistake and go back to the old format.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diggummup should be commended for trying to improve the site. Myself Im overwhelmed here and in my personal life and sorry I will not be of much help. I also have to login each time.

One thing I will say is I also cannot find the green check/solved icon and others are missing like a wink and a "dont know" but we have so many new icons, in at least FOUR different places, so many that my screen is not even large enough to see them all!!! Smilie List - TreasureNet - The Original Treasure Hunting Website I also cannot send a PM because my mailbox is full so it appears our space is very limited. . But what does my alloted space have to do with sending a PM?

Dont take it the wrong way. I am no longer going to complain or gripe because it doesnt help anything. This is meant to be constructive.

Digg summed it up it well quote: "this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context."

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant even hit the back button and get out of here so I thought I might as well gripe some more...oh the site is going to be better now...THIS IS STUPID...Im not trying to be constuctive, Im mad.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I found the winking icon but Im sure I will have to jump through loops to post it and I shouldnt have had to search for over a week to find it. We need to downsize and simplify.

I also had trouble using the back button.

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I know it may be easier to start your own thread but it certainly makes it harder on us keeping up with 15 threads at once. Please use the existing threads for these issues. I'm going to merge this now.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
TreasureNet was a whole lot easier to navigate before these big changes were made. I don't like it now the way it is. Bring back the old way.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to add to this thread.

I was going to add this to the New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread. but decided to make a post on it's own so others could add their own concerns to it. I don't know how this will be taken (constructively I hope) but here are my issues after the first week or so of the new forum.

1- I think it was mentioned before, can we get the green check mark back on the "what is it" forum to show whether a post has been solved or not. That was a unique and integral part of that particular forum. Right now I see you've utilized the green check to show "subscribed threads" or to "subscribe" to a forum. Bad move.

Can you post a screenshot where you are referring to us using the "green check" to show "subscribed threads" -- I'm not seeing what you are seeing. As far as getting that going in the "What is it" forum -- yes, we can get this added back in.

2- Also how come we can't see what child forum our "subscribed threads" are posted in when viewing them from their perspective page under quick links? Had it before.

Everything isn't going to be the same as it was before. I think it's time we all stop and realize this. Some things we can add back in. Some things can't. This, unfortunately, is not going to be feasible.

3- After replying to a post, I am still on the same thread versus returning to the child forum board itself.

This is the intended and normal behavior and will not be changing.
4- You can't see the topic when moving your cursor over the banner as you could before.

I can (Google Chrome) -- so if your not seeing it, please paste the URL/screen you are at where it's not working and I will look into it.

5- I think the gold TN coin (double-click this icon to mark this forum and it's contents as read) on the left side of each subject board is kinda of useless. I mean who has actually read every subject in an entire forum and why would they need to mark it read to begin with? And why are some of them silver?

I think you misunderstand the intent of this feature. Let's say you scan a forum and don't see anything that's interesting to you, however you don't want it showing up on your new posts, etc. as unread. Double clicking this marks everything as read so it signifies to the site that you only want to be notified of NEW content in there as unread, not necessarily hundreds of threads that you don't want to read.

Silver coin means every topic in that section has been "read" -- Gold means it contains "new", unread content.
6- RSS feeds- who cares? except maybe the 20 (or a few 30) somethings. Maybe you are trying to attract a younger type member to the site? The "old" guys are your main member base.

Does the RSS really take up that much room? It's a tiny tiny icon and it's part of the default installation of VB. I think there is a point where we are asking for small changes just for the sake of small changes. Does the RSS icon hurt anyone? Does it really take up a lot of room? Even if there are only a handful of 20 or 30 somethings that use that feature -- at what point do we stop and say "hey.... we need to remove this feature because only a couple of people use it". There are probably hundreds of features that are only used by a handful of people but there is a point where its more effort to remove it then it is to just leave it, not to mention that if it's useful to someone then why not have it?

7- Certain pages (especially ones with pics and a lot of replies) are still very slow to load in IE8 and Firefox. I do weekly maintenance on my PC's so it's not caused from a build up of anything. Happens on my laptop too which is 4 times the machine my desktop is.
There is a glitch somewhere.

How many posts per page are you showing? For those of you showing 80 posts or way up there -- its' going to be somewhat slow. That's a lot of data to send/pull from the database. It's very zippy for me at 30 posts per page but I honestly don't like going much beyond that personally.
8-What about all of our old bookmarks? I guess they are gone for good? I wish we would have been warned of this so we could have saved them.

As mentioned in other threads we are still working on integrating this into the new system. They won't be lost, we have them, we just haven't found a good way to get that feature added to this site.
9-Switch places with those generic looking smileys and put the "imported" ones to the top of the list instead. No big deal, but since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it.

This can be done easily but again, should we ask ourselves is this what "I" want or is this what the majority of the forum wants. I think this is so subjective that it needs to be a poll. Feel free to start one.

I'm starting to agree with some of the others, this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context. This place has yet to start "growing on me". I've been trying this past week or so and it isn't getting any better for me and the negatives do outweigh the positives as far as the changes go. Don't forget the average age of the person on this site is probably early-mid 50's. At 45 i'm one of the younger ones, I can only imagine how the septuagenarians on here feel. They don't care about all this new fangled social media BS, neither do I for that matter. That's what FB and Twitter is for. I no longer feel like i'm on treasurenet anymore when I am on here. I feel like a visitor in a cold foreign land. I don't know, maybe i'm just missing my old (what I considered) "home" so to speak. I'm done venting.:dontknow:

I don't understand why anyone keeps mentioning "Social Media BS" -- we don't discuss Social Media here. We don't have a ton of twitter or facebook integration. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that. The site got upgraded. It's different software. It's going to look and feel different. We are trying our best to put as many features back as possible. We are trying our best to incorporate different elements of the old look and feel. But you must realize that this is NEVER going to be the old site, it's NEVER going to look like the old site. We can only come close... so things will be different no matter what we do.

I still see members telling us to switch back to the old software. That's not going to happen. To keep pressuring us to do so is a waste of time. The old software (as has been mentioned, literally, hundreds of times) wasn't changed "just for the sake of change" -- it was changed because it was outdated, broken, buggy, full of security holes and had custom coding holding it together from someone who is no longer associated with the site. It HAD to be changed. If not at that moment then after someone hacked the site, defaced it, stole all the personal information and content and did god knows what to the site that we MAY or MAY NOT HAVE been able to fix.

If your wheel is breaking on your vehicle and your going 60 miles per hour down the road... do you think to yourself "well, it hasn't broken yet, so if it's not broke don't fix it" -- or do you weight the consequences of what would happen IF it breaks and instead decide to nip it in the bud before it REALLY gets bad.

That's what we had to do. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to like it. But it is what it is, and the sooner we all move past getting the old software back and onto making THIS software better the better off we will ALL be.

shoot

Mar 28, 2012
IL,FL,CA,AZ,VA,PA,MI,CO - I get around.
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV , Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who owns a web development company I want to say that the upgrade was not just for the sake of change I hear this all the time and it pisses me off. The old version of the forum software had vulnerabilities and less built in mobile support. If you want TN to be able to scale in the future and work better on mobile devices and keep all YOUR data safer this was a MUST. BTW John if you have any issues or questions let me know I have 18+ years of programming exp and about 6 years VB exp.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who owns a web development company I want to say that the upgrade was not just for the sake of change I hear this all the time and it pisses me off. The old version of the forum software had vulnerabilities and less built in mobile support. If you want TN to be able to scale in the future and work better on mobile devices and keep all YOUR data safer this was a MUST. BTW John if you have any issues or questions let me know I have 18+ years of programming exp and about 6 years VB exp.

Thanks shoot, we will definitely keep you in mind.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Can you post a screenshot where you are referring to us using the "green check" to show "subscribed threads" -- I'm not seeing what you are seeing. As far as getting that going in the "What is it" forum -- yes, we can get this added back in.

Hello John. The "green check" was implemented on the "What Is It" forum to show that the thread has been solved to the OP's satisfaction. (Original Poster) . It appears you are using it (green check)for something else. It doesnt necessarily have to be "green check" but there should be a way of marking the threads as SOLVED that can be quickly and easily recognizable.

It took me many years to get members to mark the threads as solved. Im sure you are working hard and unfortunately these things will take YEARS to sort out. I just think the more complicated it is, the more work and the more headaches for YOU but I understand moving foward into the future and maybe us oldtimers need to learn the new complicated format or move on. Maybe complaining is not helping.

This may help explain the "green check." http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136840-how-mark-your-what-solved-photo-tutorial.html

Also I think you need give members at least 5 minutes to correct spelling and edit before marking it as editted across the bottom.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggesting to move "Subscribed Threads" from Quick Links to My Posts. This most closely resembles the old "unread replies" that so many members are still clamoring for.

I did not even realize it was a feature until I clicked around randomly. Now I find myself using it instead of "My Posts / replies", which is almost useless.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggesting to move "Subscribed Threads" from Quick Links to My Posts. This most closely resembles the old "unread replies" that so many members are still clamoring for.

I did not even realize it was a feature until I clicked around randomly. Now I find myself using it instead of "My Posts / replies", which is almost useless.

How about I add it to both, so those that are used to it under Quick Links aren't blindsided by it being gone?

Edit: And this has been done.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I will say is I also cannot find the green check/solved icon and others are missing like a wink and a "dont know" but we have so many new icons, in at least FOUR different places, so many that my screen is not even large enough to see them all!!! Smilie List - TreasureNet - The Original Treasure Hunting Website I also cannot send a PM because my mailbox is full so it appears our space is very limited. . But what does my alloted space have to do with sending a PM?

Just an update, please check out this post in the "What is it" section -- it now contains the new instructions: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136840-how-mark-your.html

Hope this works better then before! :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK, I can get something like this going during the week no problem!

It looks good but one other suggestion. In the old TN, the green check is put up by the OP (Original Poster) only after he/she is satisfied with the responses that his/her artifact is indeed solved. The moderator could do it, I guess, but why would you want all the work? Through trial and error, the green check idea worked best when the OP and only the OP could post it. There were only a few instances over the years where the OP refused.

Also the green check does not mean that all replys will end. Anyone can add information or disagree at any time.

TN was started very small from nothing by Marc and worked its way through the problems little by little. Jeff of PA did a great job of keeping order.

Every member did what they could to help. It was like a family. At one point members donated for a new server. I worked (volunteered)mostly in the WII Forum. In a way some of us feel betrayed and this may linger for a while longer.

I have to wonder why you scrapped something that worked so smoothly? Why didnt you just start a completely new MDing site and try to lure members? Why buy it just to scrap it? This new TN may eventually be better but it sure looks like a gamble from what I have seen besides being a ton of work.. But little by little its looking better.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just an update, please check out this post in the "What is it" section -- it now contains the new instructions: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136840-how-mark-your.html

Hope this works better then before! :)

OK great. I just noticed your post. I see some members already posted the green check.

Over the years I would remind new members to post the green check. It looked good all those green checks in a row of solved artifacts. I wont be able to do it anymore due to personal problems. Sometimes new members need to be told or reminded of this important feature., It seems that everyone liked it.

I deleted over 500 of my old emails and I may soon be able to send and receive.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everything isn't going to be the same as it was before. I think it's time we all stop and realize this. Some things we can add back in. Some things can't. This, unfortunately, is not going to be feasible.

This is the intended and normal behavior and will not be changing.

I can (Google Chrome) -- so if your not seeing it, please paste the URL/screen you are at where it's not working and I will look into it.

I think you misunderstand the intent of this feature. Let's say you scan a forum and don't see anything that's interesting to you, however you don't want it showing up on your new posts, etc. as unread. Double clicking this marks everything as read so it signifies to the site that you only want to be notified of NEW content in there as unread, not necessarily hundreds of threads that you don't want to read.

Silver coin means every topic in that section has been "read" -- Gold means it contains "new", unread content.

Does the RSS really take up that much room? It's a tiny tiny icon and it's part of the default installation of VB. I think there is a point where we are asking for small changes just for the sake of small changes. Does the RSS icon hurt anyone? Does it really take up a lot of room? Even if there are only a handful of 20 or 30 somethings that use that feature -- at what point do we stop and say "hey.... we need to remove this feature because only a couple of people use it". There are probably hundreds of features that are only used by a handful of people but there is a point where its more effort to remove it then it is to just leave it, not to mention that if it's useful to someone then why not have it?

How many posts per page are you showing? For those of you showing 80 posts or way up there -- its' going to be somewhat slow. That's a lot of data to send/pull from the database. It's very zippy for me at 30 posts per page but I honestly don't like going much beyond that personally.

As mentioned in other threads we are still working on integrating this into the new system. They won't be lost, we have them, we just haven't found a good way to get that feature added to this site.

This can be done easily but again, should we ask ourselves is this what "I" want or is this what the majority of the forum wants. I think this is so subjective that it needs to be a poll. Feel free to start one.

I don't understand why anyone keeps mentioning "Social Media BS" -- we don't discuss Social Media here. We don't have a ton of twitter or facebook integration. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that. The site got upgraded. It's different software. It's going to look and feel different. We are trying our best to put as many features back as possible. We are trying our best to incorporate different elements of the old look and feel. But you must realize that this is NEVER going to be the old site, it's NEVER going to look like the old site. We can only come close... so things will be different no matter what we do.

I still see members telling us to switch back to the old software. That's not going to happen. To keep pressuring us to do so is a waste of time. The old software (as has been mentioned, literally, hundreds of times) wasn't changed "just for the sake of change" -- it was changed because it was outdated, broken, buggy, full of security holes and had custom coding holding it together from someone who is no longer associated with the site. It HAD to be changed. If not at that moment then after someone hacked the site, defaced it, stole all the personal information and content and did god knows what to the site that we MAY or MAY NOT HAVE been able to fix.

If your wheel is breaking on your vehicle and your going 60 miles per hour down the road... do you think to yourself "well, it hasn't broken yet, so if it's not broke don't fix it" -- or do you weight the consequences of what would happen IF it breaks and instead decide to nip it in the bud before it REALLY gets bad.

That's what we had to do. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to like it. But it is what it is, and the sooner we all move past getting the old software back and onto making THIS software better the better off we will ALL be.
Thanks for clearing up things. I see you've already taken care of the solved "green check" request, thank you for that. You've also explained a few other things for me as well. My reason for posting this on it's own was because I thought it would bring better/fresh exposure to other members who still have not even seen much less read this particular thread. And i'm sure there are plenty. I understand there are plenty of BS posts about not liking the new forum software/layout etc., but this wasn't one of them. Sometimes when a thread becomes pages and pages long, people aren't able to see the forest because of the trees. Maybe you should put a link to this thread at the top of each board (or the homepage) for those who aren't yet familiar with this thread so they aren't wondering what happened when they log in after being gone for a few weeks or so. If I was away from Tnet for a little while and logged in to find a whole new look and layout, i'd be wondering what the heck happened myself. I know you all sent everyone an email notifying us of the proposed changes but alot of people have multiple email accounts (such as myself) so it would easy to overlook, especially if you don't use that email account everyday as your main one (or 2) like myself. Anyway as stated, I wasn't bashing the new software or whining as some (one) proclaimed, it was more or less, just a thread to bring to light to other members who have not seen this thread to bring their queries to. Keep up the good work, I know you all are working hard at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread