Nothin BUT, Drill Holes...

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
I think that anyone who is interested in drill holes should study " Viking Mooring Holes " and the tools they used, seems that they could make a 4 inch X 4 inch drill hole in around 5 minutes, the original ones were used to secure the ship to shore at each end, sleeping aboard the ship they only had to whip the stake out of the mooring hole and be gone, out of harms way. Then along came the other uses such as directional / distances / what to look for, other inforation as needed. Lots more complated than an arrow or cross that was so common for direction, The mooring holes were angled to give the best / strongest pull toward the ship, ship length's, location of the cargo hole are all important parts of information necessary when you get to your destination.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
rangler said:
oddrock
Just a tiny footnote about your comment...
Just thought I would show an example of a shallow drill hole done with just a few turns of a "star" drill. ?

If this is an Spanish era site, the star drill had not been invented yet..the first stone drill was a chisel with a single 'blade' that is why it had to be hit then turned with each blow of the hammer, later in the Gold Rush era, the first I learned of its use..the Star drill was really just several single blades placed in a circle so that when struck, the star drill would be much more efficient than the single bladed chisel...
hope this helps
rangler
Rangler,

Sir, thanks for the clarification once again. Please note that I italicized star in my comments. I believe this site deals with the ancients, Spanish era, and later. I guess the hole most likely could have been made be either of the later two(?) later groups. (the amount of turns and force used could vary and produce similar results.)
Oddrock

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
dsty said:
I think that anyone who is interested in drill holes should study " Viking Mooring Holes " and the tools they used, seems that they could make a 4 inch X 4 inch drill hole in around 5 minutes, the original ones were used to secure the ship to shore at each end, sleeping aboard the ship they only had to whip the stake out of the mooring hole and be gone, out of harms way. Then along came the other uses such as directional / distances / what to look for, other inforation as needed. Lots more complated than an arrow or cross that was so common for direction, The mooring holes were angled to give the best / strongest pull toward the ship, ship length's, location of the cargo hole are all important parts of information necessary when you get to your destination.

These mooring holes were often used on navigatable waterways as you say. The common inland drill holes, located all across the USA and nearly everywhere else in the world, have been shown to be simple permanent trailmarkers. A hammer and steel gad or hand drill was used by one of the travelers to mark the route on prominent boulders or outcroppings, often every mile or so, sometimes in patterns such as a triangle, row of holes, etc. It was the easiest way to leave a 'breadcrumb trail' through new territory for those without more sophisticated mapping skills. They're tough to find in much of the USA because of vegetation and tilled land, but easy to spot in the arid areas such as the Southwest. Treasure signs? Very low probability. Trail signs? High probability.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
True TH'rs
I have found drill holes...that marked a trail for sure, just like Springfield said - however some holes alerted one to a omega monument, these monuments were made in a unique fashion. they were made to look like a empty stash spot...I call these decoy monuments, at first glance it looked like a looted cache, however that was just an illusion, as the signs led to the real cache were visible from the looted cache decoy monuments spot.. ingenious, the decoy looted caches were actually the true omega monument..all revealed by the drill hole along the trail.
So when you find a drill hole, look close to the surrounding area, in a 360 area...look for a cavity, it will be empty...from that spot you should be able to find the next sign.. one I found - the empty hole cast a shadow of an eagles head, and sure enough to the south was the next mark, only one, that one told me that the next sign was underground.
hope this helps
rangler

dont assume..because it makes an ass...well you know the rest.

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Brent,

Wish I could give you some good news on the small rock with the drill hole...but, unless it was in it's original position and you drove a stake through in and took measurements....then you may just have a "holy-rock". ????

Oddrock

Ground0

May 18, 2009
The Show Me State
This is a closer shot of the stone I posted before...apparently no one noticed the marks below the drill hole, so I posted it again.

At first I thought the upside down L (s) and the V were J (s) and a W according to ciphers, then I noticed the similarity between the signs and a nearby rivers topo contour. There also seems to be other less obvious markings on this stone...any thoughts?

The drill hole itself is three quarters of an inch across and exactly 3" deep with a rounded bottom. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 1,067

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Here is a heart I ran across that might be of some interest to you drill hole guys.

Interesting pattern to the drill holes

Attachments

• upper_Dominguez_canyon_028 a.jpg
    upper_Dominguez_canyon_028 a.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,026

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thom, that heart rock helps to form that humongous shadow arrowhead on the lower left. Have you figured out what those dimples on the heart mean?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bill,
That heart is 15 feet across. those are actually holes, or dots about 3/4 inch in diameter.
I saw the arrow too, there are a lot of sun and shadow signs here.

OP
OP
Clay Lindsey

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
I wish I could take credit, but this is from his neck of the woods. Wow. It has been a minute since I have been back to the site that started this thread. Well, I would say life gets in the way but thats an excuse. I have yet to figure this little site out, is the truth. I'm hoping to get back to it in January with more info (experience).

Clay

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi a gentle hint, if you are in the area of Spanish / Mexican mine workings, arrastres, it will be common to find large, hard rocks of a few hundred pounds, perhaps 3 x 4 ft, with a single hole on what will be, or was the top. This where they placed an elbow branch to anchor the rope to use it as a drag stone in the Unit. After being soaked with water it swelled and became firmly fixed. They generally were worked in pairs to balance the load.

On some of the older arrastres it is common to find several old used grind stones laying around.

Also remember, many times a stray hole was used as an anchor point for some type of work. Again the wooden piece was kept wet to lodge it firmly in place.

Don Jose de La Mancha

grillz

Aug 2, 2009
olddog;
In your photo of the double heart. Look to the right at the column, is that a hippo or snake head protruding from the rocks?
It's a little above the middle of the column. grillz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread