Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Park Hunt (Gold) updated

Went out today to hit the Old Park again today. I was with a new detecting buddy. He just got his first detector yesterday and I was giving him some tips. He was following me around so when I got a good tone I wanted him to hear what to listen for in a good tone. The area we were hunting was a area that several good detectorist have gone over the past few weeks including me. I got a low tone that was very iffy. I thought it might be a pull-tab or a nickel. I decided to dig it and am I glad I did. It turned out to be a 32nd Degree Mason Pendant from I believe is from about 1880's. This is known by the owners name which is engraved inside. My buddy heard me calling out saying I found gold. He just chuckled and thought I was joking at first till he looked at my face. He came over and could not believe it's condition. I am still shaking over it. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 1,580
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 1,584
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 1,603
Last edited:
Upvote 70

lawrence_1md

Apr 22, 2013
Murphysboro, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Minelab Excalibur ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's being delivered today. Sniff sniff, I feel like I may be coming down with something and may have to leave work early. : )

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's being delivered today. Sniff sniff, I feel like I may be coming down with something and may have to leave work early. : )

See you at my house tomorrow at 8:00am. Going to train you on that SE Pro. Hope I find gold again. LOL

lawrence_1md

Apr 22, 2013
Murphysboro, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Minelab Excalibur ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I got my honey do list done with the pool tonight instead of tomorrow. Took the cover off, hooked the pump/ ionizer up and filled it up, now it can do its thing.

I'm ready to go tomorrow! See ya then.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome! I am a 32nd degree Mason here in Oklahoma and I have never seen one like it.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm itching to find some gold. Tired of digging up pull tabs & tin foil!
Congrats!

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm itching to find some gold. Tired of digging up pull tabs & tin foil!
Congrats!

Thanks Digs68. Where are you in Mo? I am from the southeast area. Sikeston (Home of Lambert's Cafe).

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did we get a purity and weight, or any other assessment of it's value?

WTG on the banner!

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
A little Masonic background for you ...

That's a custom made watch fob, and it includes symbols from all three branches of Masonry. The square and compasses are from the "Blue Lodge" or the original first three degrees of Masonry.

The double-headed eagle represents the Scottish Rite along with the "32" at the top, which is the degree that everyone attains when they join the Scottish Rite and goes through the typical degree process. "33" degree Scottish Rite Masons are only granted the "33" as an honorary degree after considerable amount of distinguished service. You could say there are a lot of 32nd degree Masons, but not quite so many 33rd degree Masons.

The circle with the K S H T W S S T letters in it and the Hebrew character on that one is indicative of a York Rite mason. Like the Scottish Rite, this is an additional appendant body of Masonry.

The cross with the missing enamel is from the Order of the Rose Cross.

The man that lost this (or the grandkid that stole it from his pop's jewelry box and lost it in the park) was likely a member of all three bodies, and presented this as a gift by family. I've seen these in sterling silver and 10K and 14K gold, but in any case it's a nice piece!

Greg

Last edited:

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice. Hope you were sure to tell the new hunter to not expect that on every hunt! Way to go :icon_thumleft:

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats camb1!!!! that's a crazy find :occasion14: Super banner

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry for missing your posting this until now, But it's an awesome find as you well know!!!:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

CONGRATULATIONS on this finally making the Banner, well deserved IMHO and kudos for getting it back to the original owner's family!!!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on such an outstanding find and for making a well deserved BANNER!!! :icon_thumright: Breezie

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did we get a purity and weight, or any other assessment of it's value?

WTG on the banner!

It was 14k yellow gold @ 17 grams. At the time gold value was $445. Was bought by the owner's family member.

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little Masonic background for you ...

That's a custom made watch fob, and it includes symbols from all three branches of Masonry. The square and compasses are from the "Blue Lodge" or the original first three degrees of Masonry.

The double-headed eagle represents the Scottish Rite along with the "32" at the top, which is the degree that everyone attains when they join the Scottish Rite and goes through the typical degree process. "33" degree Scottish Rite Masons are only granted the "33" as an honorary degree after considerable amount of distinguished service. You could say there are a lot of 32nd degree Masons, but not quite so many 33rd degree Masons.

The circle with the K S H T W S S T letters in it and the Hebrew character on that one is indicative of a York Rite mason. Like the Scottish Rite, this is an additional appendant body of Masonry.

The cross with the missing enamel is from the Order of the Rose Cross.

The man that lost this (or the grandkid that stole it from his pop's jewelry box and lost it in the park) was likely a member of all three bodies, and presented this as a gift by family. I've seen these in sterling silver and 10K and 14K gold, but in any case it's a nice piece!

Greg

Thanks hammong for comments and all the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread