Oregon Tnet Campout Your invited

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
I am with Cyn,I am up to anything, ghost towns, relic hhunting, going to the coast to hunt, just camping. I don't care where I go, just would like to mmet up with some of you fine ppl here on TNet and have a good time and learn something from everyone......and eat some fine food, swap stories, etc. :tongue3: :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
Hi everyone!! I would love to have a good campout here in Oregon.There's so many places to go,so here's my thought.I live 1/2 mile from "Waterloo Park" next to the Santiam River.It has full hookups and close to mountains."Quartzville" area is about a hour drive from here with free "Gold Panning " areas.The oregon coast is 1 1/2 hrs from here and could make a day trip there.Central oregon is 2hrs from here and could go there?? I'm a member of the American Legion and we have a neat Post.We can use their dinning hall for food,drinks, and etc.John Day is a absloute beautiful place.There is a Campground just outside town with all the service. Canyon City is close,and has alot of early history,along with Prarie City.Magone Lake is close by if you want to camp out in the woods.Over by Prinville, is "Walton Lake"--beautiful spot,and can drive over the mountains to Mitchal Or.Lots of Rocks to find near prinville too.But also, since IMA thought this up, Maybe we could all meet at the Oregon Coast and dig up more of those Chinese Coins.--And yes "TT" you can come up to see us.We do have AARP reps to service your needs ::) ::) Any how, I keep a eye on this thread, Bye Idig

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
how many of you will be at the GPAA gold show next Saturday in Salem?? would love to meet some of ya when we are there!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
The big pink dot pretty much in the middle of the state would be where I live! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• moregon.gif
    moregon.gif
    24 KB · Views: 638

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the map TT, I live 5 miles north of Redmond. June/July it gets mighty warm here. I personally would like to go where there is a definite water source. I don't have a problem driving anywhere in the state.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
:sign10: great...now everyone knows!! :-[ :tongue3: too funny! Ima....when and where are we having this so we can make more dots on the map?? :laughing9:

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon
I am for John Day and the surrounding area.. The place that Wanda mentioned is a long creek and gold was found last year about a 1/4 mile east of that claim that she was talking about by someone in our club, and I have found some up by Canyon City. A couple weeks ago I was talking to a couple guys from John Day and he said that there is still alot up there in the river. Plus you got the old homesteads and other areas to metal detect, and there is a nice campground right outside Mt. Vernon. If someone did some checking they might find out where the old stage routes went. Thats my opinion

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to mention that we should check on camp grounds in the John Day erea and also if we need permits to detect and look for gold.
Ima

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres a close up of an 1886 map John day erea

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 599
OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOHN DAY IN YELLOW

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 590
OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Current John Day map

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 571

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Treasure Tales,
We camped around that area about 5 years ago. Drove in from mosquito lake to cedarville. Beautiful country. We had a herd of antelope cruise right through our camp. If you are near Davis Creek, be sure and pick up some Obsidian. We grabbed two five gallon buckets of rainbow when we were there.
Be sure and visit the rock shop in Lakeview, great lady although she said she was interested in selling back then, she might still be there. She told us of some local rockhound spots toward Klamath Falls and we were'nt dissapointed. Also northeast is the moonstone area, BLM land, free camping, and good people. Although there are mines adjacent and can get noisy.

Have Fun
Steve

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Hemisteve said:
Hey Treasure Tales,
We camped around that area about 5 years ago. Drove in from mosquito lake to cedarville. Beautiful country. We had a herd of antelope cruise right through our camp. If you are near Davis Creek, be sure and pick up some Obsidian. We grabbed two five gallon buckets of rainbow when we were there.
Be sure and visit the rock shop in Lakeview, great lady although she said she was interested in selling back then, she might still be there. She told us of some local rockhound spots toward Klamath Falls and we were'nt dissapointed. Also northeast is the moonstone area, BLM land, free camping, and good people. Although there are mines adjacent and can get noisy.

Have Fun
Steve
Our club will be going to Plush sunstone are around Mothers' Day, can't wait to go, I will also be heading up the road a peice to the natural hot mineral baths in Paisley. I want to go to the opal mines in No. Nevada but I might have to make that one closer to Sept./Oct. My grandmother lives in Lakeview, I will be stopping on my way down, will make sure that I hit the rock shop to, thanks for sharing that peice of info.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wicked Wanda,
If my wife new I was responding to a screen name like yours she would go postal! Nah, just kidding! I've got a good woman. Plush is the name I was trying to remember. We were up there about 5 years ago and found bags full. All yellow, not the red. We met a gentelman and his wife who were members of a rock club in Roseburg. They had come up the day before the rest of the club were to arrive. He had a bag full of the red and it was impressive. We did'nt have the time to explore the area, but he jumped on his quad and headed straight north from the camping area to his digging area. Just a little FYI if you are going to be there. He did mention something about a seam just below the local country rock.
Doub't we can make the june trip. Wrong time of year for us. You Oregonians have fun. I have family in Grants Pass and Kirby and try to get up there when I can.

HH
Steve

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
Hi everyone.I haven't seen "IMA" on here lately----Where's you at!!!.Update from yesterday--I met Cyn and Drywalldave at the Gold show in Salem.They both are super nice and we had a good talk about detecting, rock hunting and about our Oregon Campout this summer.Like most of us I'm hoping we can pull this off.We have to come up soon with a location that would be good and a time frame for the campout.In talking to Drywall and Cyn, they know the area pretty well and I think the "JohnDay Area" would be the spot for our1st get together.I don't have kids at home to worry about and I am very flexible.In other words,I can do any damn thing I want as long as I ask my "Wife" first !! :thumbsup:Some other thoughts, It has to be after school is out,I would hope the kids to be involved,I have a elk tent that could be put up for a "Happy Hour"spot.I had a 4wd ATV that I need to get around.Once we find out who can go, do we make up a food list for a few dinner meals and let one person buy the food and we all split the cost,rather everyone bringing over the same stuff.We do that in our elk hunt party and it works well.Of course this will be a BYOB for those who care to have a "Tot-ie after a long day.I'll quit here and wait for more input. PS here a photo of the JohnDay Valley looking East from the start of "Picture Gorge.The mountains on the right are part of the "Strawberry Mountains" --Bye Bye. Idig

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 532

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking we should head to the Plush/Lakeview area. There is a gold district just north of there, copper and uranium to the west, an old fort, plus the sunstones. Agates, Opal, Jasper, thundereggs, and other minerals all around there.

Plus, its remote. Not much in the way of weekenders, I imagine.

We'd have to make it early in the season, or late. Gets pretty hot down there.

Also, the more I think about this, this whole thread should be moved to the Oregon section, so we can get some more exposure. Lots more folks from Oregon are showing up on the forum, eh?

John Day area still sounds good too. Probably easier for everyone to get to. More history up there as well. Still mulling things over......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread