OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Busy day. Got another zero turn mower ready for Craigslist. Helped the wife get the video on here. Had a friend stop by to bury some test materials for a LRL device. Loaded the van for a car event. Unloaded the van to make room for a mastiff to be put to sleep in it. Took the mastiff to the vet and had him put to sleep. Drove him to the crematorium and helped unload his dead 200 pound body next to the burning oven. Discovered a broken tire cord on the van. Had four new tires put on it. Loaded the 57 Chevy race car onto the trailer. Re-loaded the van. Watched Bering Sea Gold. Read the posts on here and posted on here. I am now ready for an autocross event tomorrow in Brooksville.

57chevy2800x589.jpg Looking forward to smoking some tires and making some noise. That's how I relax.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just trying to follow, how in the 1860's did Confederates in the Everglades pick a spot to bury gold that they were able to triangulate from two buildings in two different towns? I could see them triangulating from something in that immediate area, but I'm lost at how they could mark a spot located at specific tangents from buildings from many miles away.

I did not pay that much attention to what the guys book was saying other than it got them exited. I am only guessing where the possible gold came from. My only real concern is to find out if it is really where I think it is.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another dig, another hole
The intrepid digger is on a roll
Historical facts don't get in his way
He'll dig and dig anyway
For a real treasure-
-Burma Shave!

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigDogDad

Hay DogMan:

Thought I would pass this info on to you before I misplaced it.
I sense that Orivd ( Ovid to you, Sweet Baby Ray to me) had a lot of fun together for a few years.
Onward.

GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 35.50574, Longitude: -78.81737

Chalybeate Springs Baptist Church Cemetery

238 Chalybeate Road
Chalybeate Springs
Harnett County
North Carolina USA
Postal Code: 27526

Find A Grave: Chalybeate Springs Baptist Church Cemetery

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hay DogMan:

Thought I would pass this info on to you before I misplaced it.
I sense that Orivd ( Ovid to you, Sweet Baby Ray to me) had a lot of fun together for a few years.
Onward.

GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 35.50574, Longitude: -78.81737

Chalybeate Springs Baptist Church Cemetery

238 Chalybeate Road
Chalybeate Springs
Harnett County
North Carolina USA
Postal Code: 27526

Find A Grave: Chalybeate Springs Baptist Church Cemetery

Whats buried there? Ovid?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Since everyone is being so nice, maybe TN could open up the old locked thread that BDD and friends are so upset about? I support opening the old thread. I dont want to hear any more complaining and finger pointing. Can we call a truce and unlock the thread?

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Since everyone is being so nice, maybe TN could open up the old locked thread that BDD and friends are so upset about? I support opening the old thread. I dont want to hear any more complaining and finger pointing. Can we call a truce and unlock the thread?

For the record I am not really upset about that thread being locked. You are the one that got all upset about what was posted, complained and caused it to be locked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The car racing yesterday was fun I but I really enjoy the hot wings and Hooters afterward.

hooters2.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey B.D.D..
Bummer on having to part with your boy. Never easy. Seems with most, the unwritten contract has us outlive them. Still worth it.

Nice frosting on the car pic...few such pictures have a car that can compete with the girls as well.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
For the record I am not really upset about that thread being locked. You are the one that got all upset about what was posted, complained and caused it to be locked.
This is the finger pointing that I am tired of seeing. If you are truly not upset about the thread being locked, then we are all happy. :occasion14: Just stop the finger pointing. I was trying to help you.

For the record, I never wanted nor did I request to lock anybodys thread. Im glad to hear you are not upset but Im not sure I believe you for obvious reasons. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Keep in mind BDD, if someone tries to stab me in the back online, I just might request for that particular comment to be removed. You cant blame me for that and I have only had to do that once or twice in all my years here. Its your own fault your thread was locked down.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading SOME of this... I would like to say... at least he is looking...
Cant find anything if ya don't look...

I am a little confused though...
It is "common knowledge" that generally ... most Cache's of Treasure are buried at around 6-9 feet max.
But was common in old lore "at a depth of a mans height"...

I have been baffled at digs for "chests of gold" that have gone past 10-12 foot... ANYWHERE... let alone florida...

I challenge anyone to walk out in their backyard and dig a 6 foot hole... large enough for a "chest"... let alone a few...
See what that takes outta ya...
Anyone who has dug a big hole by hand knows that there is no way to do this easily even with several men...
it is hours of hard back breaking... hands numbing... blistered hell.
Particularly with tools of yester years...

NOW with this said... I am sure it was done...
But why ?
Why would anyone bury anything at any depth past 10 feet ?
There is no logical reason at all for this.

IF you dig to ten feet... your done... move to next spot...
ME ...
I would never dig past a depth of 8... no matter what.
UNLESS... I saw a big X on the damn stone that I hd just moved.... that is just me.

Reading the amount of history that I have concerning "treasure stories" involving "chests" ... gold bars etc etc ete.
I have always seen these depths... but they are bull in my opinion...
UNLESS the story involves a "well".

PS> I think that some of these "depths" were a form or measure of a security blanket... by making the thought of someone looking for it unappealing by the exaggerated depths.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I agree its hard to dig over 6 feet. Any deeper, its hard to toss the dirt up and over the edge.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Cyp... agreed...
Think about it... 6 feet is plenty deep... any deeper would be overkill... AND OH YEAH ... one more thing I forgot to mention...
This is an important aspect on this subject of "hiding something"...

Rule #1 in "hiding something"... DO IT FAST....
Last thing you ant to happen is for someone to realize what or where you are...SEE you did this hole.
PLUS...
Disturbance of ground must be kept at a minimal... otherwise the next guy who comes along ... SEES the disturbed dirt etc.
OR sees you digging a massive hole with chests sitting there.
This was a quickly orchestrated move when permitted.
Not some all day excavation.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every other guy "back in the day"... was a tracker...
Their life depended on it.

Small quick sufficient hole... then disguised as if no one was even there.
That is how it was done.
My two cents worth.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
But could a heavy chest sink in wet sand? We know that individual coins will sink on the beach
until they reach bedrock. But the beach sands are constantly in motion with the rising tides and seasonal storms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions