Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KKC got out today to the site we last week. Within the first 5 minutes, I got a perfect copper signal. I was thrilled to see this whole copper smoking pipe pop out. I have been doing research and can't find much about the date of this pipe or smoking pipes being made of copper. It looks like a late-18th century one. :dontknow: Any help, I would appreciate. I have seen many clay pipes being found around Colonial America, but have never seen anyone find/post a copper one. It was found in the exact area where all the Colonial coins were being dug, so it could be a period find. :dontknow:

It was a relic day for me, but I will take it. :icon_thumleft:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• DSCF4139.JPG
    DSCF4139.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,827
  • DSCF4142.JPG
    DSCF4142.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,734
  • DSCF4145.JPG
    DSCF4145.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,745
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Fully Intact 18th Century Copper Smoking Pipe

Update on my artifact:

I received a PM yesterday from 55th Massachusetts, who stated that he had some very valuable information about my pipe. He had emailed pictures of my copper pipe to a leading Archaeologist in Colonial American history. Not going into too many details, but in the PM, Robert was very excited about what information this expert had written to him concerning my artifact.

Here is the Archaeologist's succinct analysis on my artifact:

"It is nowhere near complete having lost about nine inches of its stem. Copper alloy pipes are rare but not unknown. This one is probably Dutch and late 18th century. It looks as though it had been smoked after the stem was shortened, thus explaining the indentation at the break."

I was as thrilled as anyone would be after hearing this information. I finally had my piece identified as a rare late-18th century Dutch copper pipe. I owe it all to 55th Massachusetts for consulting this expert. His last two words on the PM were, "Banner Find!" This is by far my best find for the year. When I dug it, I knew I had something different, but now I have 100% confirmation that it is a rare find indeed.

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• DSCF4154.JPG
    DSCF4154.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,649
  • DSCF4157.JPG
    DSCF4157.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,621
  • DSCF4159.JPG
    DSCF4159.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,632
  • DSCF4164.JPG
    DSCF4164.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,634

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare Late-18th Century Dutch Copper Pipe *UPDATE*

Must have made your day! :thumbsup:

ok time to move on and dig the next find. ;D

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now go find the missing nine inches - LOL!

Glad you got some confirmation on the piece. It would be nice to get pictures of other examples for comparison.

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Steve in PA said:
Now go find the missing nine inches - LOL!

Glad you got some confirmation on the piece. It would be nice to get pictures of other examples for comparison.

I talked to SC Keith on the phone and he told me that he has a source that has a picture of a metal 18th century pipe. I will let him know to post it on this thread.

Kirk

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surprised he looked at it for you... well let's just say the ones around here wouldn't do that...

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

No doubt this is one of the rare Colonial relics dug this year. 18th century Dutch copper alloy pipe! :headbang:

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Kyle PA said:
No doubt this is one of the rare Colonial relics dug this year. 18th century Dutch copper alloy pipe! :headbang:

We just had a conversation of 38 minutes of complete Colonial chatter. :laughing9: We are too Colonially single-minded. :laughing7:

Kirk

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:

We just had a conversation of 38 minutes of complete Colonial chatter. :laughing9: We are too Colonially single-minded. :laughing7:

Kirk
What...You mean no sports comments were exchanged?

bocephus99

Jun 18, 2010

Found a little info on metal pipes from Artifacts of Colonial America, by Ivor Noel Hume. On page 308 he writes,

"As well as pipes of clay, a few were of metal. There are silver examples dating from the second quarter of the seventeenth century whose stems unscrew in the middle for portability; but the majority of metal pipes belong to the latter part of the eighteenth century, when they were made of either iron or brass. They are said to have been designed for travelers and huntsman, for whom the clay pipe was too fragile. However, the metal pipes could be painful if jolted into someone's eye, and they were not widely used. Nevertheless, fragments have been found in American excavations. In addition, the remains of a pewter pipe of uncertain date were found at Jamestown."

Not sure if this helps...but regardless, it's a super cool and a rare find...Awesome! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

Nice update Kirk! great piece of colonial history man! :headbang: they wouldn't put two brothers on the banner heh? :laughing7:
I'll vote for ya :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet update Kirk, I was confident that's what it was! Congrats man, definitely a find for the Banner rack of any collection:headbang:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very,very nice relic ! The first one that I have seen.

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bocephus99 said:
Found a little info on metal pipes from Artifacts of Colonial America, by Ivor Noel Hume. On page 308 he writes,

"As well as pipes of clay, a few were of metal. There are silver examples dating from the second quarter of the seventeenth century whose stems unscrew in the middle for portability; but the majority of metal pipes belong to the latter part of the eighteenth century, when they were made of either iron or brass. They are said to have been designed for travelers and huntsman, for whom the clay pipe was too fragile. However, the metal pipes could be painful if jolted into someone's eye, and they were not widely used. Nevertheless, fragments have been found in American excavations. In addition, the remains of a pewter pipe of uncertain date were found at Jamestown."

Not sure if this helps...but regardless, it's a super cool and a rare find...Awesome! :thumbsup:

Great piece of information, man! Thank you so much! When he says it is rare, it is! This quote made me smile, "As well as pipes of clay, a few were of metal." A few. :hello2: My pipe deserves to be recognized for its rarity and historical value. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

I must thank Allen for keeping the "source" of the Archaeologist off of his rare pipe post until I was given permission to reveal "who" he is!

As many of you know, Ivor Noel-Hume , the head of the Archaeology Department of Colonial Williamsburg for over 30 years, and the author of a dozen + books on Colonial Americas past, is a GOD as far as the objects from our Colonial past are concerned.

I have been in contact with him and he was delighted to see the pipe. He wrote;

"It is nowhere near complete having lost about nine inches of its stem. Copper alloy pipes are rare but not unknown. This one is probably Dutch and late 18th century. It looks as though it had been smoked after the stem was shortened, thus explaining the indentation at the break.By all means pass my thoughts on, but with the caveat that my responses are worthless unless I have had the object in my hand to study. In this instance, however, I don't think there is anything more to add." Ivor Noel Hume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Noel_Hume

GREAT PIPE!
REB

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

55th Massachusetts said:
I must thank Allen for keeping the "source" of the Archaeologist off of his rare pipe post until I was given permission to reveal "who" he is!

As many of you know, Ivor Noel-Hume , the head of the Archaeology Department of Colonial Williamsburg for over 30 years, and the author of a dozen + books on Colonial Americas past, is a GOD as far as the objects from our Colonial past are concerned.

"It is nowhere near complete having lost about nine inches of its stem. Copper alloy pipes are rare but not unknown. This one is probably Dutch and late 18th century. It looks as though it had been smoked after the stem was shortened, thus explaining the indentation at the break.By all means pass my thoughts on, but with the caveat that my responses are worthless unless I have had the object in my hand to study. In this instance, however, I don't think there is anything more to add." Ivor Noel Hume.

GREAT PIPE!
REB

Thank you so much, Robert, for adding this piece of information. Ivor Noel Hume is the Father of Archaeology and to have him offer analysis on my artifact, I will cherish this for the rest of my life. He knows best about what I dug and probably could give expatiate more on the pipe. Thanks again, Robert, for your assistance. You are an asset to this forum.

It makes me think, I wonder how many Mr. Hume has held in his hand? This could show how Rare this artifact truly is.

Kirk

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
55th Massachusetts said:

GREAT PIPE!
REB

Thank you so much, Robert, for adding this piece of information. Ivor Noel Hume is the Father of Archaeology and to have him offer analysis on my artifact, I will cherish this for the rest of my life. He knows best about what I dug and probably could give expatiate more on the pipe. Thanks again, Robert, for your assistance. You are an asset to this forum.

It makes me think, I wonder how many Mr. Hume has held in his hand? This could show how Rare this artifact truly is.

Kirk

Mr. Ivor Hume is a brilliant and wise man and I'm glad that he helped with this piece. I had the honor, privelege, and pleasure of digging under him at the Jamestown settlement archaeological dig a few years ago while attending Old Dominion University and I'll tell you, when it comes to Colonial, I doubt there's anything that he has not seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions