Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KKC got out today to the site we last week. Within the first 5 minutes, I got a perfect copper signal. I was thrilled to see this whole copper smoking pipe pop out. I have been doing research and can't find much about the date of this pipe or smoking pipes being made of copper. It looks like a late-18th century one. :dontknow: Any help, I would appreciate. I have seen many clay pipes being found around Colonial America, but have never seen anyone find/post a copper one. It was found in the exact area where all the Colonial coins were being dug, so it could be a period find. :dontknow:

It was a relic day for me, but I will take it. :icon_thumleft:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• DSCF4139.JPG
    DSCF4139.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,827
  • DSCF4142.JPG
    DSCF4142.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,734
  • DSCF4145.JPG
    DSCF4145.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,745
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare Late-18th Century Dutch Copper Pipe *UPDATE*

Kirk, what a super find to get and to get the positive ID on it just makes it all the better. I wonder if the possible missing piece was more copper tubing or a wooden extension? Does not seem that Mr Hume elaborated on that but I get the impression he thought it was metal. Finding something that is rare and something that was used is a top notch find in my book. :thumbsup: I hope you get a bit more information on it from other contacts and that pipe deserves to be mounted in a nice display box, either shadow type or a deep Riker mount.

Don

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Kirk, what a super find to get and to get the positive ID on it just makes it all the better. I wonder if the possible missing piece was more copper tubing or a wooden extension? Does not seem that Mr Hume elaborated on that but I get the impression he thought it was metal. Finding something that is rare and something that was used is a top notch find in my book. :thumbsup: I hope you get a bit more information on it from other contacts and that pipe deserves to be mounted in a nice display box, either shadow type or a deep Riker mount.

Don

Hello, Don, and good morning. I am assuming that Mr. Hume thought it was all copper. I have been emailing different pipe collectors to try to get a value on this artifact. It is a rare find, so it could fetch some money. I will be looking into display cases. I want to preserve this artifact in a professional manner. It truly is my most favorite find (even more than coppers).

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was in Spain 13 years ago, I dug a bronze / copper pipe that has never been well ID'ed
It looks differant than this, and was found on a Roman / pre Roman site....
I can not imagine it dates from that period as so many items got dropped / lost as overlay from earlier periods.
I believe I asked here with a picture, but it's been a long time ago... and no one had ever seen a brass / bronze pipe before.
very interesting find...

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I want to thank everyone else for replying. I am going to purchase a display case to preserve and showcase this artifact nicely.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Can always count on you guys for some killer finds!!
baggins

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Hello, Don, and good morning. I am assuming that Mr. Hume thought it was all copper. I have been emailing different pipe collectors to try to get a value on this artifact. It is a rare find, so it could fetch some money. I will be looking into display cases. I want to preserve this artifact in a professional manner. It truly is my most favorite find (even more than coppers).

Even more than the Washingtom Ship Halfpenny?

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

You better believe it, Patch. This is a unique relic.

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

You better believe it, Patch. This is a unique relic.

Kirk

What you been putting in that pipe? ;D

U

umrgolf

once again, great relic Kirk.. Anyone would be stoked to find such a neat piece. It seems over and over again people are saying how uncommon this pipe really is.. I enjoyed reading some of the different replies up until it was id'ed.. Look forward to some more great recoveries from your team :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
once again, great relic Kirk.. Anyone would be stoked to find such a neat piece. It seems over and over again people are saying how uncommon this pipe really is.. I enjoyed reading some of the different replies up until it was id'ed.. Look forward to some more great recoveries from your team :thumbsup:

Thanks, man, I appreciate all you and Josh have done in nominating my find. It means a lot to me coming from two great Colonial hunters. I told Kyle on the phone just now, "Jeff responded to my post. These guys are class act all the way." If my year ended now, I am 100% Colonially satisfied. What a relic!

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got an email back from Dana Linett, Early American History Auctions, Inc.:

"Hello Kirk,

Clay pipes typically sell for about $100.
I would suggest your copper pipe may be worth about $300 or so to the right collector."

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice pipe ... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk PA said:
I just got an email back from Dana Linett, Early American History Auctions, Inc.:

"Hello Kirk,

I would suggest your copper pipe may be worth about $300 or so to the right collector."

The value means nothing to us. The history of that pipe is what really matters.

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kyle PA said:
Kirk PA said:

"Hello Kirk,

It paid for my new pinpointer. ;D

Kirk

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:
Kirk PA said:

"Hello Kirk,

It paid for my new pinpointer. ;D

Kirk

LOL

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, that is too cool, don't know how I missed that first time around. Very nice Kirk, congratulations on a great piece of history.

Steve

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk, that was very nice of the gentleman to give you an appraisal on your relic and I am sure he is in the ballpark, due to his expertise, which is a nice amount for the historic relic, it can only get more valueable as time goes on and I am sure you will be keeping it for a long time.

Don

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Hey Kirk, just wanted to share this one with you: from the MN Historical Society. It's a pewter trade pipe.

Attachments

• Pewter pipe.jpg
    Pewter pipe.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 575

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
definately one of my favorite finds on t-net - so very cool kirk !

kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread