Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KKC got out today to the site we last week. Within the first 5 minutes, I got a perfect copper signal. I was thrilled to see this whole copper smoking pipe pop out. I have been doing research and can't find much about the date of this pipe or smoking pipes being made of copper. It looks like a late-18th century one. :dontknow: Any help, I would appreciate. I have seen many clay pipes being found around Colonial America, but have never seen anyone find/post a copper one. It was found in the exact area where all the Colonial coins were being dug, so it could be a period find. :dontknow:

It was a relic day for me, but I will take it. :icon_thumleft:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• DSCF4139.JPG
    DSCF4139.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,827
  • DSCF4142.JPG
    DSCF4142.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,734
  • DSCF4145.JPG
    DSCF4145.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,745
Upvote 0
Re: Rare Late-18th Century Dutch Copper Pipe *UPDATE*

Kirk, what a super find to get and to get the positive ID on it just makes it all the better. I wonder if the possible missing piece was more copper tubing or a wooden extension? Does not seem that Mr Hume elaborated on that but I get the impression he thought it was metal. Finding something that is rare and something that was used is a top notch find in my book. :thumbsup: I hope you get a bit more information on it from other contacts and that pipe deserves to be mounted in a nice display box, either shadow type or a deep Riker mount.

Don

Don in SJ said:
Kirk, what a super find to get and to get the positive ID on it just makes it all the better. I wonder if the possible missing piece was more copper tubing or a wooden extension? Does not seem that Mr Hume elaborated on that but I get the impression he thought it was metal. Finding something that is rare and something that was used is a top notch find in my book. :thumbsup: I hope you get a bit more information on it from other contacts and that pipe deserves to be mounted in a nice display box, either shadow type or a deep Riker mount.

Don

Hello, Don, and good morning. I am assuming that Mr. Hume thought it was all copper. I have been emailing different pipe collectors to try to get a value on this artifact. It is a rare find, so it could fetch some money. I will be looking into display cases. I want to preserve this artifact in a professional manner. It truly is my most favorite find (even more than coppers).

When I was in Spain 13 years ago, I dug a bronze / copper pipe that has never been well ID'ed
It looks differant than this, and was found on a Roman / pre Roman site....
I can not imagine it dates from that period as so many items got dropped / lost as overlay from earlier periods.
I believe I asked here with a picture, but it's been a long time ago... and no one had ever seen a brass / bronze pipe before.
very interesting find...

I want to thank everyone else for replying. I am going to purchase a display case to preserve and showcase this artifact nicely.

Can always count on you guys for some killer finds!!
baggins

Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Hello, Don, and good morning. I am assuming that Mr. Hume thought it was all copper. I have been emailing different pipe collectors to try to get a value on this artifact. It is a rare find, so it could fetch some money. I will be looking into display cases. I want to preserve this artifact in a professional manner. It truly is my most favorite find (even more than coppers).

Even more than the Washingtom Ship Halfpenny?

Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

You better believe it, Patch. This is a unique relic.

Kirk

Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

You better believe it, Patch. This is a unique relic.

Kirk

What you been putting in that pipe? ;D

once again, great relic Kirk.. Anyone would be stoked to find such a neat piece. It seems over and over again people are saying how uncommon this pipe really is.. I enjoyed reading some of the different replies up until it was id'ed.. Look forward to some more great recoveries from your team :thumbsup:

umrgolf2010 said:
once again, great relic Kirk.. Anyone would be stoked to find such a neat piece. It seems over and over again people are saying how uncommon this pipe really is.. I enjoyed reading some of the different replies up until it was id'ed.. Look forward to some more great recoveries from your team :thumbsup:

Thanks, man, I appreciate all you and Josh have done in nominating my find. It means a lot to me coming from two great Colonial hunters. I told Kyle on the phone just now, "Jeff responded to my post. These guys are class act all the way." If my year ended now, I am 100% Colonially satisfied. What a relic!

I just got an email back from Dana Linett, Early American History Auctions, Inc.:

"Hello Kirk,

Clay pipes typically sell for about $100.
I would suggest your copper pipe may be worth about $300 or so to the right collector."

nice pipe ... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Kirk PA said:
I just got an email back from Dana Linett, Early American History Auctions, Inc.:

"Hello Kirk,

I would suggest your copper pipe may be worth about $300 or so to the right collector."

The value means nothing to us. The history of that pipe is what really matters.

Kyle PA said:
Kirk PA said:

"Hello Kirk,

It paid for my new pinpointer. ;D

Kirk

Kirk PA said:
Kyle PA said:
Kirk PA said:

"Hello Kirk,

It paid for my new pinpointer. ;D

Kirk

LOL

wow, that is too cool, don't know how I missed that first time around. Very nice Kirk, congratulations on a great piece of history.

Steve

Kirk, that was very nice of the gentleman to give you an appraisal on your relic and I am sure he is in the ballpark, due to his expertise, which is a nice amount for the historic relic, it can only get more valueable as time goes on and I am sure you will be keeping it for a long time.

Don

Hey Kirk, just wanted to share this one with you: from the MN Historical Society. It's a pewter trade pipe.

Attachments

• Pewter pipe.jpg
    Pewter pipe.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 575
definately one of my favorite finds on t-net - so very cool kirk !

kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back