Ten minutes out with Beast.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well the Explorer II arrived tonight and I got it together and turned it on.

Ran through the yard for ten whole minutes and found 2 copper pennies, one zinc and a piece of trash I dug to find out what it was. The 8? was 8 inches deep! For the ground conditions here that is incredible. I think I'm gonna like this new machine.

It is going to take me a while to learn this beastie, but I was expecting that so no big deal. The only question I have is do all you Minelab users carry a big stick when hunting? Because when I turned around all the squirrels, rabits, mice and other rodents were following me and my musical swinging stick around the yard. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 79.JPG
    79.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 88.JPG
    88.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • face.JPG
    face.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,387
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Re: Ten minutes with my new hunting buddy

KirkPA said:
Captain, if I lived in CA, I would find more quality of coins than you dudes. Nothing against your style of park hunting, but I would peruse the oooold history books, in hopes of locating areas older than the average park with Mercs and Rosies. I would put bets down on the table that another California dude named, grubby, would out-detect you guys with finds. He uses a White's, too.

All in all, it doesn't matter where one lives in the country, it is all about ra-search. So, a White's could still kick a$$ in CA. Anyways, parks bore me to hell, so I would rather not detect them. I am happy you dudes do. Thanks for leaving the oldies for dudes who ra-search. :D

Captain SE, you are doing great this year. Keep it up. I wish you luck on your next park adventure. HH, bud!

Kirk

Oh to be this young, arogant and cocky again...

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:
Captain, if I lived in CA, I would find more quality of coins than you dudes. Nothing against your style of park hunting, but I would peruse the oooold history books, in hopes of locating areas older than the average park with Mercs and Rosies. I would put bets down on the table that another California dude named, grubby, would out-detect you guys with finds. He uses a White's, too.

All in all, it doesn't matter where one lives in the country, it is all about ra-search. So, a White's could still kick a$$ in CA. Anyways, parks bore me to hell, so I would rather not detect them. I am happy you dudes do. Thanks for leaving the oldies for dudes who ra-search. :D

Captain SE, you are doing great this year. Keep it up. I wish you luck on your next park adventure. HH, bud!

Kirk

It would be different if I was "young, arrogant, and cocky," but didn't find squat. There must be a method of being cocky and finding Colonials. LMAO!

Just pulling your strings, bud. HH!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

KirkPA said:

Kirk

Dude....Seriously!  Do you not think we do research trying to locate some nice finds.  Come on man...You have got to be kidding!!!!  And yes, Where you live has everthing to do with the type of finds you can expect to pull out of The ground.  I am not going to find any colonial find here on the west coast!!  That's just the facts my brother.  You live in a history rich environment that produces lots of nice finds.  If I was there, I would be finding them too!  So don't get all high and mighty because you have found a few colonial coins....The fact are that If I was there in that part of the country...I would have found some also!

As for doing research....I have more then logged my hours in the books trying to find a few keepers.  However, I have about 1000 other detectors swinging around here also doing research.  Anyway....We are not bad mouthing Whites, we are saying that they don't work well in this soil and we find older finds with our Minelabs.  You have no idea what our conditions are like here, so you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes down to what machine will out preform other in this soil.  I have tried the top of the line Whites detector....Didn't work how I wanted it to.  It couldn't get the depth I was wanting.  So I have tried the whites line here, so I can comment on it. 

I had a DFX and the DD1400 coil.  I tested it on a deep target found by a minelab....I couldn't even get a blip.  It was a silver dime @ 7".  My machine just wouldn't pick it up in this soil...So I got the best machine that I could find for this area to replace it.  Now I am finding deeper target then I could have ever before.  That's my reason for ditching my whites DFX.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

Kirk

It would be different if I was "young, arrogant, and cocky," but didn't find squat. There must be a method of being cocky and finding Colonials. LMAO!

Just pulling your strings, bud. HH!

Do you think you are the only one that could find them.  I am willing to bet that if I came back to where you are and hunting side by side....I think i would be pulling out a few colonials also!!!  I think you are lucky to live where you do, thats the most of it.  Getting permission to hunt in a old cow pasture where there are big piles of cow crap everywhere would be a little easier then Million dollar historical homes with the nicest lawns you'll ever see. 

I will give you one thing...You did your homework to find the stuff!!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

KirkPA said:

Kirk

Kirk, my friend, CA doesn't have the rich history (colonial) as PA does. CA did not become a state until 1850. Before this time, there were Spanish missions/adobes here. The Spanish/Mexicans dropped Reales and some various other foreign coinage. You're not going to find very many things older than seateds/shields/3 centers, etc. here, unless you're able to hunt next to an adobe or one of the 21 CA missions here. So the places are quite limited. I wish I could detect large fields as you, just swinging my detector freely, listening for any type of signal, because you know you're in a really old area, so you must dig any sound, but where's the skill involved there??? I like a challenge.....to find oldies at parks here is quite a big challenge, considering over 25 years of md'ers have been swinging their detectors at these parks, with tons of trash to cherry pick through to find those deeply buried, previously passed up targets.

How many people have swung detectors at your sites in the past 25 years? Probably not that many. Your sites are private; permission is only granted to a few locals there.

I think it all boils down to the different styles we all have depending on the area of the country we live in. The area you live in dictates type of detecting you will ultimately be doing and your target treasure you hope to find...

Good luck, bud.....hope you're able to find more of those Coppas and some of those really old Wilvers.

CAPTN SE
Dan

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Captn_SE said:
KirkPA said:

Kirk

Kirk, my friend, CA doesn't have the rich history (colonial) as PA does. CA did not become a state until 1850. Before this time, there were Spanish missions/adobes here. The Spanish/Mexicans dropped Reales and some various other foreign coinage. You're not going to find very many things older than seateds/shields/3 centers, etc. here, unless you're able to hunt next to an adobe or one of the 21 CA missions here. So the places are quite limited. I wish I could detect large fields as you, just swinging my detector freely, listening for any type of signal, because you know you're in a really old area, so you must dig any sound, but where's the skill involved there??? I like a challenge.....to find oldies at parks here is quite a big challenge, considering over 25 years of md'ers have been swinging their detectors at these parks, with tons of trash to cherry pick through to find those deeply buried, previously passed up targets.

How many people have swung detectors at your sites in the past 25 years? Probably not that many. Your sites are private; permission is only granted to a few locals there.

I think it all boils down to the different styles we all have depending on the area of the country we live in. The area you live in dictates type of detecting you will ultimately be doing and your target treasure you hope to find...

Good luck, bud.....hope you're able to find more of those Coppas and some of those really old Wilvers.

CAPTN SE
Dan

I am not going to argue, bud. The skill comes in researching these sites. If we are the 1st to detect a Colonial site in 25 years, I do believe that is the skill part: the ra-search. Any bozo can detect a park and find coins, but can they ra-search really productive sites? Not bloody likely!

Overall, we have differing philosophies, so we should keep it at that. HH, bud! Go find some more wilver!

Kirk

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Stormtrooper154 said:
KirkPA said:

Kirk

Dude....Seriously! Do you not think we do research trying to locate some nice finds. Come on man...You have got to be kidding!!!! And yes, Where you live has everthing to do with the type of finds you can expect to pull out of The ground. I am not going to find any colonial find here on the west coast!! That's just the facts my brother. You live in a history rich environment that produces lots of nice finds. If I was there, I would be finding them too! So don't get all high and mighty because you have found a few colonial coins....The fact are that If I was there in that part of the country...I would have found some also!

As for doing research....I have more then logged my hours in the books trying to find a few keepers. However, I have about 1000 other detectors swinging around here also doing research. Anyway....We are not bad mouthing Whites, we are saying that they don't work well in this soil and we find older finds with our Minelabs. You have no idea what our conditions are like here, so you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes down to what machine with out preform other in this soil. I have tried the top of the line Whites detector....Didn't work how I wanted it to. It couldn't get the depth I was wanting. So I have tried the whites line here, so I can comment on it.

I had a DFX and the DD1400 coil. I tested it on a deep target found by a minelab....I couldn't even get a blip. It was a silver dime @ 7". My machine just wouldn't pick it up in this soil...So I got the best machine that I could find for this area to replace it. Now I am finding deeper target then I could have ever before. That's my reason for ditching my whites DFX.

Dude, we just don't walk into any field and find Colonials. I know of some dudes in my area...they are on this forum...and don't find squat. I am kicking they a$$es, so what does that say about me? Come on, dude, I would like to challenge any of you Minelabers....it would be fun.

All I have to say is, check out grubby's posts. He finds Colonials...hahah...he lives in CA. Hmmmm?

HH, bud!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Dude, we just don't walk into any field and find Colonials. I know of some dudes in my area...they are on this forum...and don't find squat. I am kicking they a$$es, so what does that say about me? Come on, dude, I would like to challenge any of you Minelabers....it would be fun.

All I have to say is, check out grubby's posts. He finds Colonials...hahah...he lives in CA. Hmmmm?

HH, bud!

Well, I have seen his posts.  I am not going to comment on the for fear of being booted off T-net!

As for walking into any field. I never once said that was what you did. I actually said that "I will give you that...you did your homework on finding the sites" I said it was a lot easier to get permission to hunt a field where cows are at then a nice historical yard.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Stormtrooper154 said:

HH, bud!

Well, I have seen his posts. I am not going to comment on the for fear of being booted off T-net!

As for walking into any field. I never once said that was what you did. I actually said that "I will give you that...you did your homework on finding the sites" I said it was a lot easier to get permission to hunt a field where cows are at then a nice historical yard.

Thanks, bud. I'm done on this thread...I don't do front yards anyway. I don't care if they are 300 years old. They just ain't my style.

HH!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Come on, dude, I would like to challenge any of you Minelabers....it would be fun.

Come on out here....We will see what kinda depth your machine will get in this soil! I agree, it would be a fun challenge!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

KirkPA said:

HH, bud!

There are no Colonials here in CA. I've been a member on a CA detecting forum for the past year, and nobody has found any colonial coins here. Reales, yes, but colonials, no way.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II

Mastereagle22--
What you've now got in your possession, in my opinion, is the deepest machine which I've ever owned. I've run a lot of differant machines since 1985 or so and I've never claimed to be an expert or anything like Kirk the dude, but I was taught the Explorer II by the best.

Do yourself a favor and read up on the Explorer tips written by my good friend Charles Keith... Clarity in the operation and behavior of the machine will come quickly for you.

Go here: http://www.treasuregizmo.com/settings.htm

Good digging to you!

Joel

Oh just one other piece of advise. Little Eagle a must.........

Attachments

• Little Eagle.jpg
    Little Eagle.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 907
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

GentlemanLet's stay civil here! Whites is ok, Minelabe is OK and to really mess you all up I have found more with my Deleon in the short time I have been hunting than most people find with either type of machines and here's why.

1. I dig everything
2. I live in an area where stuff is
3. It is the Machine I have learned frontwards and back.
4. I have been VERY lucky.

Now KirkPa I hate to call you on something here but let's face it, you aint gonna find a Colonial coin where no colonials were. So location does matter. Also in a lot of places you cannot get permission to hunt good sites. That is a fact. Also have you ever used or owned a Minelab? My buddy has an XLT and I can tell you I do not like to use it too much. It confuses the crap out of me and I cannot find things with it like he can. Why because I haven't learned the machine. Also to assume you are the only one who does research is majorly arogant! I cannot tell you the number of hours I have spent researching sites, talking to other people who hunt sites and trying to find elusive silver (wilver) and old coins. The fact is that around here right now, we simply aren't finding old coins. I believe they are in the 6-10 inch layer in most spots and the Deleon simply doesn't get that deep unless the ground is really moist and I am really lucky and the stars are aligned just right and I haven't had any impure thoughts that day. The XLT is having similar problems because of all the masking of the trash.

I just don't want all of us fighting like my crazy a&^ family. Why can't we all just get along??

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

KirkPA said:
Stormtrooper154 said:

HH, bud!

Well, I have seen his posts. I am not going to comment on the for fear of being booted off T-net!

Thanks, bud. I'm done on this thread...I don't do front yards anyway. I don't care if they are 300 years old. They just ain't my style.

HH!

Why are you done...we are having a conversation! They only places that you are going to find old coins in these parts are yards. We dont have battlefields, or long lost colonial villages, ect. Thats all we have is private yards and parks.....It sucks sometimes, but it is what it is! Maybe you can talk to a old person and find a picnic spot, but that isnt going to be on any maps to research.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

mastereagle22 said:
GentlemanLet's stay civil here! Whites is ok, Minelabe is OK and to really mess you all up I have found more with my Deleon in the short time I have been hunting than most people find with either type of machines and here's why.

1. I dig everything

Now KirkPa I hate to call you on something here but let's face it, you aint gonna find a Colonial coin where no colonials were. So location does matter. Also in a lot of places you cannot get permission to hunt good sites. That is a fact. Also have you ever used or owned a Minelab? My buddy has an XLT and I can tell you I do not like to use it too much. It confuses the crap out of me and I cannot find things with it like he can. Why because I haven't learned the machine. Also to assume you are the only one who does research is majorly arogant! I cannot tell you the number of hours I have spent researching sites, talking to other people who hunt sites and trying to find elusive silver (wilver) and old coins. The fact is that around here right now, we simply aren't finding old coins. I believe they are in the 6-10 inch layer in most spots and the Deleon simply doesn't get that deep unless the ground is really moist and I am really lucky and the stars are aligned just right and I haven't had any impure thoughts that day. The XLT is having similar problems because of all the masking of the trash.

I just don't want all of us fighting like my crazy a&^ family. Why can't we all just get along??

I agree, we should get along. But, I must add, does JD in Missouri "ring a bell?"

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:

1. I dig everything

I agree, we should get along. But, I must add, does JD in Missouri "ring a bell?"

JD in Missouri? I do not know what or whom you are talking about? Can you fill me in?

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

mastereagle22 said:

You will find more with another machine. The Minelab has a slow sweep speed and is a depth machine. Your quality will go up, you quantity will go down...IMHO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread