Ten minutes out with Beast.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well the Explorer II arrived tonight and I got it together and turned it on.

Ran through the yard for ten whole minutes and found 2 copper pennies, one zinc and a piece of trash I dug to find out what it was. The 8? was 8 inches deep! For the ground conditions here that is incredible. I think I'm gonna like this new machine.

It is going to take me a while to learn this beastie, but I was expecting that so no big deal. The only question I have is do all you Minelab users carry a big stick when hunting? Because when I turned around all the squirrels, rabits, mice and other rodents were following me and my musical swinging stick around the yard. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 79.JPG
    79.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 88.JPG
    88.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • face.JPG
    face.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,387
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Re: Ten minutes with my new hunting buddy

Stormtrooper154 said:
mastereagle22 said:
GentlemanLet's stay civil here! Whites is ok, Minelabe is OK and to really mess you all up I have found more with my Deleon in the short time I have been hunting than most people find with either type of machines and here's why.

You will find more with another machine. The Minelab has a slow sweep speed and is a depth machine. Your quality will go up, you quantity will go down...IMHO

I expected this when I bought it. I cannot see how the sweep speed is any different on the ML versus the Deleon based on the video I watched. Is the speed in the video not the correct speed to swing the coil? If it is correct that is how I have been using my Deleon since day one. ??? ??? ??? ???

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

mastereagle22 said:
Stormtrooper154 said:
mastereagle22 said:
GentlemanLet's stay civil here!  Whites is ok, Minelabe is OK and to really mess you all up I have found more with my Deleon in the short time I have been hunting than most people find with either type of machines and here's why.

You will find more with another machine.  The Minelab has a slow sweep speed and is a depth machine.  Your quality will go up, you quantity will go down...IMHO

I expected this when I bought it.  I cannot see how the sweep speed is any different on the ML versus the Deleon based on the video I watched.  Is the speed in the video not the correct speed to swing the coil?  If it is correct that is how I have been using my Deleon since day one. ??? ??? ??? ???

The slower you swing the coil, the deeper the targets you will hear clearer.  Go to the link that LEOJ Posted...Read the tips, it will help out. I dont have the video, so i cant tell you for sure. But keep the coil "ON" the ground scrubbing it and take it nice and slow.

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II

Hey before we all get done with this thread can we take a moment please, and give kirk the dude a round of applause? He's a legend in his own mind.

Joel

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Yes he is. Kirk dude, you rock with the old Coppas....you make me want to come out there and find some Colonials with you.

I've got to go now....hunting with 4 of my favorite md'ing buds at a park I've found almost 50 silver/300 wheats at. Should be fun to see if we can find anything left.

Mastereagle, sorry if I got a little sidetracked on your post. Good luck with your new machine. If you need any help, just PM me.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Hey Larry,
Congrats on the new machine and the finds. I hear this machine takes a while to learn. I'm looking around for mine, and hopefully I will find one. Best of Luck Larry and keep us posted. Please hit all the spots you've already hit........you never know what may come out with the Explorer.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Captn_SE said:
Yes he is. Kirk dude, you rock with the old Coppas....you make me want to come out there and find some Colonials with you.

I've got to go now....hunting with 4 of my favorite md'ing buds at a park I've found almost 50 silver/300 wheats at. Should be fun to see if we can find anything left.

Mastereagle, sorry if I got a little sidetracked on your post. Good luck with your new machine. If you need any help, just PM me.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

One of the Great things about this site is the free exchange of ideas, opinions, stories etc. I don't mind whatever anyone posts as long as everyone remembers we are all in this hobby together and getting angry with one another is a waste of energy and time.

Let's just all be buds. KirkPa if you are still out there just give me directions to your place and I will drive there and detect with you, I will then find a good lawyer to handle my divorce but hey marriage or detecting is a call that is too tough to make sometimes. :D :D :D

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.

There are lots of detectors out there,find the one that suits you, don't knock down someone because they use a diffrent brand than you.This is a great hobbie and a great site,now lets all get out there and put your choice of detector where your mouth is and post them. ps you cant put old minds on young bodies. ;D Bla bla bla.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

LEOJ said:
Hey before we all get done with this thread can we take a moment please, and give kirk the dude a round of applause? He's a legend in his own mind.

Joel

Thank you! :-*

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer

Whites dudes, we ran side by side field tests between the Explorer and DFX and the poor DFX got a case of the mumbles on deep targets including colonials, large cents, and silver quarters. Even the great DaveZ of Whites DFX fame could not squeeze Minelab depth from his DFX. So just keep sweeping the shallow stuff out of our way, you are doing fine. :D

Charles

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Okay so I decided to add pictures. but Baldingboy and I hit a local school for 15 minutes today, basically just to show him my new toy.

Right off the bat the E II told me something was in the ground, and that it was probably trash. I couldn't pinpoint it with a darn, mainly because I am still learning the double d and because I still haven't figured out the depth.

Anyway he helped me pinpoint my find with the XLT and told me his said it was in the pulltab range and it was probably a ring or jewelry. Well I messed around in the hole for 15 mins before I found a very thin and very small piece of junk jewlery and then a second piece was in the hole too. I had swung my Deleon there before and not found this target. It wasn't very deep just small. The center portion of the junk jewelry was about the size of a bb and the actual big part was slightly smaller than a dime.

I am starting to understand a little what the machine says I found but pinpointing is another story all together. I am trying to find anyone in the St. Louis - Carbondale - SE Missouri Area with one of these machines to help show me the ropes but so far no luck. Anyway thought I would update you all.

Attachments

• wow.JPG
    wow.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 702
  • big.JPG
    big.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 691
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 697
  • little.JPG
    little.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 685
  • post.JPG
    post.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 686

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Not to jump in here because...I have enough arguments of my own.... ;D

but...kirk obviously has had some awesome finds...give him credit! ;)

Also stormtrooper if you were not able to hit a dime at 7.0 with the dfx using the large coil.......either user error or defective coil....

Even with the small 5.3 I get hits at 7.5.....

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

DFX-Gregg said:

Also stormtrooper if you were not able to hit a dime at 7.0 with the dfx using the large coil.......either user error or defective coil....

I did not pick on Kirk he did however let his mouth overload his brain and make some silly statements. I live in the middle of the US. The chance of me finding a Colonial coin is almost non-existant, as is finding Roman coins, or hammered silver coins. I can research for hours on end and all of that research will do me no good, because the targets simply are not here. I do not know how old he is but he is abrasive and someone so young should at least try to be less abrassive to others and be more tolerant of others opinions. That being said this forum is a public place where we should all be able to exchange ideas and opinions. I personally will not buy a Ford, that does not mean all Fords are bad, I simply choose not to buy one. The same can be said about detectors. There is no reason in the world for people to get upset about the brand of detector they use. If they like it say so say why and leave it at that.

I will agree I am envious of some of his finds, they are impressive and provide a look at the past of this country. The men and women who struggled to get this country off the ground and were declared traitors held some of those coins. Just being in the room with something of that nature would inspire awe in me. I do not hunt to get rich I hunt to find things others have lost and left behind to help me get a glimpse into the past and to help me appreciate things long gone. If one particular brand of detector works better than another for a given purpose then I will use that machine.

You may have been able to locate a target in your soil with your DFX that you would not have been able to find in Storm's soil. Who knows, since we didn't try the same machine in both places we can never say scientifically that the machine works the same in different locations.

Finally I want to say thank you to DFX Greg, Storm, LeoJ, KirkPa and everyone else on this forum. I have learned SO much from all of you. I think we have a good group of people here and a great forum. Let's all try to remember that everyone has their own opinions, and feelings and try not to be mean or nasty to one another. Anyway that is my rant and this is my post so I felt I had a little right to say this. Anyone who disagrees with anything I said please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Oh Yeah one other problem I have with White's detectors is that they are not. White that is, they are mostly black. Just being silly guys and gals. . .

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Mastereagle good response, I think Kirk is just kidding and never means to insult anyone...I think he is just trying to have fun...

Hey also thanks for the kind words... I think we can all get motivated from each others finds :) Personally I probably would have gone out about half what I have....if not for looking at some of the inspiring posts here! 8) :) ;)

I am done on this post best of luck everyone! :)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations on those finds with that awesome machine. I certainly would love to have one of those detectors some day, but I don't think I will be able to get one, so you will have to have many great finds with it for me as well.

Good luck,

Postalrevnant

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer

Greg you need to try your DFX in 7.5 inches of the Oregon magnetic, volcanic black sand soil. That stuff is tough to get depth in, I know I have hunted there many times. The soil in Upstate NY is a picnic by comparison. I'd say its even worse than that red soil they have in some parts of Virginia.

Charles

DFX-Gregg said:

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

I have hunted with both an EX II and an XLT (17 years). The XLT can hit as deep as any whites ID machine. I've used both the EX II and the minelab at the same sites and compared the same targets. An XLT will not correctly ID a coin at the same depth as a stock EXII. Just a fact for my neck of the woods. Everyone I've talked to who has used an explorer has had the same experience. Doesnt matter though, if there arent any old coins under your coil you wont find any old coins. :'(

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

DFX-Gregg said:

We had two detectorists there with year and years of knowledge...It wasn't operator error LOL.  The coil worked fine!  It's our ground here that causes the problem!  The ground is so mineralized that it just wasn't picking anything up that was deep.  I ran the machine for months and months giving it all I had.  I liked the machine, but had to go with the Minelab. It's what works best for this area and thats why I have it. Oregon soils Sucks!!! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread