Ten minutes out with Beast.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well the Explorer II arrived tonight and I got it together and turned it on.

Ran through the yard for ten whole minutes and found 2 copper pennies, one zinc and a piece of trash I dug to find out what it was. The 8? was 8 inches deep! For the ground conditions here that is incredible. I think I'm gonna like this new machine.

It is going to take me a while to learn this beastie, but I was expecting that so no big deal. The only question I have is do all you Minelab users carry a big stick when hunting? Because when I turned around all the squirrels, rabits, mice and other rodents were following me and my musical swinging stick around the yard. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 79.JPG
    79.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • 88.JPG
    88.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • face.JPG
    face.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,387
Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Re: Ten minutes with my new hunting buddy

I hope I'm not too much off topic, but...

You minelab users have got me thinking lately. Reading this thread, one would get the impression that Whites and Minelab are the 2 big competitors...kinda like Ford and Chevy. I'm gonna throw a Dodge in the mix and ask about Fisher. Any of you compared a minelab against a Fisher CZ7/7a/70? The reason I ask is that I have entertained the idea of buying a top end minelab just to see how I like it. Problem is, it's a lot of money to spend on a machine if it's not better than what I have (fisher CZ7). I already have compared it to a DFX...my hunting partner runs a DFX, and every time I go out, he goes with me. I see how the DFX runs, and it's a good machine. It IDs targets better than my CZ, until the targets get deep. Then, the DFX id begins to stray while my CZ still locks on target. The DFX sometimes doesn't pick up the really deep or small targets. The soil is anything from nice grey topsoil to sticky orange/red clay. The clay can be rough. There are iron ore rocks in pretty much all soil here, and some of them really mess with the machines. You can run a magnet across the ground and pick up the rocks with it.

I don't want to steer the topic off course, but if anyone has run these machines head to head, or knows of a site where a comparison has been published, I'd like to know. (before I spend 2 months of grocery money on one, lol!).

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II

QUOTE>>cheese
{You minelab users have got me thinking lately. Reading this thread, one would get the impression that Whites and Minelab are the 2 big competitors...kinda like Ford and Chevy. I'm gonna throw a Dodge in the mix and ask about Fisher.}

Hey, Cheese--
Don't know anything about the CZ7, I have although spent plenty of hours here in Oregon with the CZ5 and the 1266X. After learning the Explorer II...... I sold them both......

Joel

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

KirkPA said:
I am 22 years young. :) All is well now, bud.

Man I can remember when I was 22 dude. I just dropped my 15 y/o son off for his first day of HIGH SCHOOL. You have found great stuff and I think like everyone else here, you add a lot to the forum. Please don't get cheesed off at me or anyone else and leave any post because we are all part of the same great big happy (disfunctional) family that is metal detecting!!!! Now be quiet and go find some more coppas and as bad as I hate to type it WILVER!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

Man I can remember when I was 22 dude. I just dropped my 15 y/o son off for his first day of HIGH SCHOOL. You have found great stuff and I think like everyone else here, you add a lot to the forum. Please don't get cheesed off at me or anyone else and leave any post because we are all part of the same great big happy (disfunctional) family that is metal detecting!!!! Now be quiet and go find some more coppas and as bad as I hate to type it WILVER!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I agree, buddy, we will get along from now on. :-* :D I will be quiet...hahaha....and find coppas and post them and enjoy them and have you enjoy them and detect more....you get the hint, bud. HH!

WILVER! 8)

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

I agree, buddy, we will get along from now on. :-* :D I will be quiet...hahaha....and find coppas and post them and enjoy them and have you enjoy them and detect more....you get the hint, bud. HH!

WILVER! 8)

Yeah and I am still waiting on directions to your place to hunt so I can find a Colonial too. ;D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

WILVER! 8)

Yeah and I am still waiting on directions to your place to hunt so I can find a Colonial too. ;D

If I told you, I would have to kill your detector. :D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Practice, practice, practice!!! We'll see you finding all kinds of great stuff in October! ;)

Congrats on those finds, ME! Nan :)

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

I know you guys say I am going to get the hang of this machine and I know you are right but I think I will have another birthday before that happens! (my B-Day is in June)

I did go out to the front yard tonight and found an item that no one else has found with the 4 detectors that have been run, a twist off top, actually two of them. I also found a piece of can slaw, 5 pennies and an orange rock. The orange rock is not metalic obviously but the ExII tells me there is something there in the upper right hand range of the graph at 10 inches in the hole where I found the rock. I dug a hole that was 1foot across 8 inches wide and 12 inches deep but I just couldn't find the target. I guess I am going to have to buy an inline probe now.

Sorry about the meager finds and the lousy post but I needed to vent a little and show that I am finding something with the machine. When you dig a deeeepp hole it gets more difficult to find what you are digging!

Attachments

• ffff.JPG
    ffff.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 446

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

You will get it! It takes time to learn that machine! I am still learning mine. Those tops get me everytime still....They sound so sweet sometimes. How many times have you been over the place with other detectors? Now you are getting more deep coin that were missed....you are learning. WTG Buddy!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

mastereagle22 said:
I know you guys say I am going to get the hang of this machine and I know you are right but I think I will have another birthday before that happens! (my B-Day is in June)

I dug a hole that was 1foot across 8 inches wide and 12 inches deep but I just couldn't find the target. I guess I am going to have to buy an inline probe now.

Hang in there Mastereagle. Don't wrap it around a tree just yet. Without a doubt, you need to get the X1 inline probe for your Explorer. I could not detect without it, especially when you're looking for the deepies. Interesting, twist caps usually null out with my iron mask level set on my SE. I never hear them. Screw caps are a different story. They sound like a deep copper. Are you hunting wide open (all metal)??

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

LEOJ said:
Hey before we all get done with this thread can we take a moment please, and give kirk the dude a round of applause? He's a legend in his own mind.

Joel

truest statement i have heard in years hahahahhahahaha

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Whites dudes, we ran side by side field tests between the Explorer and DFX and the poor DFX got a case of the mumbles on deep targets including colonials, large cents, and silver quarters. Even the great DaveZ of Whites DFX fame could not squeeze Minelab depth from his DFX. So just keep sweeping the shallow stuff out of our way, you are doing fine. :D

Charles

EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:
mastereagle22 said:
KirkPA said:

WILVER! 8)

If I told you, I would have to kill your detector. :D

if he brought his minelab you would HAVEto kill it in order to not get your butt whipped in finds

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE

KirkPA said:
Stormtrooper154 said:
Dude, we just don't walk into any field and find Colonials. I know of some dudes in my area...they are on this forum...and don't find squat. I am kicking they a$$es, so what does that say about me? Come on, dude, I would like to challenge any of you Minelabers....it would be fun.

All I have to say is, check out grubby's posts. He finds Colonials...hahah...he lives in CA. Hmmmm?

HH, bud!

Well, I have seen his posts. I am not going to comment on the for fear of being booted off T-net!

As for walking into any field. I never once said that was what you did. I actually said that "I will give you that...you did your homework on finding the sites" I said it was a lot easier to get permission to hunt a field where cows are at then a nice historical yard.

Thanks, bud. I'm done on this thread...I don't do front yards anyway. I don't care if they are 300 years old. They just ain't my style.

HH!

yea its best to stay in your element like in the pastures with the cow patties (desperately trying not to disrespect the cow patties ) and not in a beautiful historic yard where your skill with hole digging might become evident

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

mastereagle22 said:

I did go out to the front yard tonight and found an item that no one else has found with the 4 detectors that have been run, a twist off top, actually two of them. I also found a piece of can slaw, 5 pennies and an orange rock. The orange rock is not metalic obviously but the ExII tells me there is something there in the upper right hand range of the graph at 10 inches in the hole where I found the rock. I dug a hole that was 1foot across 8 inches wide and 12 inches deep but I just couldn't find the target. I guess I am going to have to buy an inline probe now.

Sorry about the meager finds and the lousy post but I needed to vent a little and show that I am finding something with the machine. When you dig a deeeepp hole it gets more difficult to find what you are digging!

Did you get the PM I sent you about pinpointing with the EXPII and other tips?

Just wondering...

Ridley

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Stormtrooper154 said:
You will get it! It takes time to learn that machine! I am still learning mine. Those tops get me everytime still....They sound so sweet sometimes. How many times have you been over the place with other detectors? Now you are getting more deep coin that were missed....you are learning. WTG Buddy!

I have personally spent 12 hours in the front yard with three different detectors, my sister has spent another 6-8. My Deleon doesn't work too great because of emi from a big transformer in my front yard. My little girl's Discovery 1100 works fine but it only gets about 4-6 inches at best. My sister's X-30 works great, my Buddy's XLT was the same as the Deleon. All together we have pulled 165 coins from the yard area pictured. I know that sounds crazy but I am willing to swear on a stack of bibles or take a lie detector test. This is the area where I dug the 8? penny the other night at 8 inches. My daughter has found the only "good" coin a 5? wheat and she found a Canadian Quarter in the front yard. There are still about 1 million targets out there according to the EXII most 8-10 inches. I just cannot decide what to dig.

As for pinpointing I dug 5 pennies last night, three of the pennies were inside the plug I made, 1 actually popped out when I pulled my Leche digger out of the ground and the other was burried right next to the can slaw I pictured above. So I think I have the pinpointing down pretty good, not to sound arrogant, but pinpointing with this machine is a lot like with the Deleon and the time on the X-30 helped me alot!

I do intend to buy an inline probe but not for a while. As I posted elsewhere I am currently sleeping on the floor, and may progress to the couch tomorrow night and may be sleeping back in my bed by the end of the month if my wife's anger subsides by then for me buying the EXII!!!! Never marry a redhead!!!! :D(no offense intended to any redheads, although it may not sound like it I love my wife)

The really bad thing about this box is that I can stand 20 feet away from it with my multimeter and pick up reading from the thing. I called the local utility and they sent someone out who "checked" it and said there was nothing wrong with it. May be time to move.

Attachments

• electrical.JPG
    electrical.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 324
  • yard.JPG
    yard.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 317
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

[/quote]

Did you get the PM I sent you about pinpointing with the EXPII and other tips?

Just wondering...

Ridley
[/quote]

Yes I did thank you for all your help. I am hoping for more tips as I go.

To answer someone else's question I am still just running factory defaults until I get the hang of just the basic info. I think with about 30 more minutes or so on the machine I am going to switch to the setting reccommended by the website some one suggested. I don't believe in hunting at "half power" as he described it and I am making notes in my little book as I go to help me learn more quickly what I am doing. And since I am a dig everything kind of guy I don't mind too much digging every signal and then writining in my little book, what it sounded like, where it fell on the graph, what the Digital reading was, how deep it was, etc. Baldinboy asked me yesterday if my sensitivy setting had a "China" reading on it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Ole Grubstake said:
Gads! I just have to say something. Just can't resist. I have a friend that uses a DFX. Out of curiosity he bought an Explorer ll. He had it a week and went back to his DFX and sold the explorer ll for a $600.00 loss. Said it was to complicated to run and not user friendly. His costly lesson. Not saying the Explorer is no good only relaying a personal experience. I also have been out with Minelab users and have found more than them with my DFX. Deep? That is why they have different coils. I have several coils that if I feel like digging to China I use with the DFX.
Grubby

Let's not get the DFX- EXPLORER rant going. I think any machine can be a valuable tool. The only thing KrikPa has posted that I do agree with is that you, not the machine dictates what you find. The skill you as a person put into the use of your machine and how much time you take to get to know it will determine what you find more than your machine. I can tell you that Baldingboy had not found a single ring to my three when I convinced him one night to "Dig everything" and not 5 minutes later he pulled a beautiful Indian Head ring out of the ground that to this day I cannot beat with any of my finds. I can also tell you that most of his rings beat the snot out of rings I have found with my Deleon but I still keep finding things with that machine each time I go out.

My primary interpreation of this Whites' vs the Universe thing that is happening is because of how different other machines are compared to Whites. Whites makes good machines and if you really get good and know how to use them then I am sure you can find good stuff with them just as you can any other machine. AS for the Explorer being difficult to learn that is because Whites speaks Spanish and the Explorer is speaking Greek. You have to forget the "language" of one machine to learn and master the other. I do not regret for a moment not buying a DFX, I could have bought either when I chose the EX II. Another main reason I didn't go with Whites is because I don't beleive I can trust the local dealer as I have caught him in several lies. He may be a good guy but I will not buy anything from a salesperson that lies to me.

So I am not arguing Explorer vs Whites in this post I am sinply seeking advice and help from the members of this forum that have an Explorer and have mastered it. I WILL master it. I WILL go back to some old spots I hit and dig SILVER coins, and I WILL be posting those finds to this forum.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Well I just couldn't stand not knowing what the EX II was telling me was in the ground at 10-12 inches so I took a shovel outside and dug a nice sized hole in my yard. Guess what it was. . .

come on guess. . .

The cable TV wire and it was huge and it was around 14 inches deep!!! I am just glad I didn't cut the cable. I thought cable was supposed to be burried deeper than that?????? ??? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread