The Elite In This Hobby

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I've seen some pretty nice stuff pulled out of the ground with a $99 Radio Shack special, and I've seen a lot of Iron tractor parts pulled out of the ground with a DFX. I would never knock a detector, only because about the time I do, their digging a piece of eight out of a 3" hole while I'm down about 8" and pullin out a zinc. Learn your machine and use it consistently and you will dig less pulltabs and more clad and treasure. For me, its all about having a really good time with good friends and spending a little time with my son and daughter, before they decide that hanging out with their dad just isn't that cool (I hope that never happens).

Get a detector swing it, get a beep, dig a hole. If you not having a good time, go play shuffleboard. . . . just my 2 cents

HH
PTP

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am very new at this. I don't own a detector yet of my own, still using my dad's very low end Treasure Hunter All Vision Pro. With working full time and going to school full time and with a house full of kids, I don't have the finances to get even a $500 machine....not unless I save for a bit. But I do plan on buying a lower end model (F2) to start out. If things go well and I like the machine, I might save and buy something with more features (like ground balancing) that obviously cost a little more but could make things easier as far as detecting goes.

Honestly, I don't mind getting out there and digging trash even...I love just being outdoors and the thought of discovering a piece of history, no matter how insignificant it is.

I agree totally that in order to really capitalize, I think you should learn your detector completely and know all its ins and outs.

One more thing, I want to thank you all on this site for providing an immeasurable amount of good advice, motivation to get out there and dig some more (not that we need that...), lots of useful information that I will take with me every time I detect, pictures of some amazing finds, and providing an outlet to talk just about anything! Thanks and Happy Hunting!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I've seen some pretty nice stuff pulled out of the ground with a $99 Radio Shack special, and I've seen a lot of Iron tractor parts pulled out of the ground with a DFX. I would never knock a detector, only because about the time I do, their digging a piece of eight out of a 3" hole while I'm down about 8" and pullin out a zinc. Learn your machine and use it consistently and you will dig less pulltabs and more clad and treasure. For me, its all about having a really good time with good friends and spending a little time with my son and daughter, before they decide that hanging out with their dad just isn't that cool (I hope that never happens).

Get a detector swing it, get a beep, dig a hole. If you not having a good time, go play shuffleboard. . . . just my 2 cents

HH
PTP

I cant say It any better Started With a Radio shack Cheapy And Red Is Holding All Of the Gold From That Cheap Peice Of !!! O Wait I donated that To A Great Group of 4- H Kids Just Because its Cheap Dosn't Meam Its Garbage!!! Thanks For Reading Chug And Red

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!I would put a Tesoro against any detector out there in trained hands!!

like a tdi pro from white's
good one

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know someone with a "cheap" detector who found a gold $5 coin. Now tell me is thats not awesome.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your looking for metal stuff in the ground with a metal detector, and you find metal stuff in the ground with a metal detector... it`s not luck.
I`v seen the newest guys with all kinds of detectors $100.00- $1200.00 find metal stuff in the ground.
Gary

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys need to just get rid of your High end & Low end detectors, and just start dowsing :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My opinion is, you should start with the best detector you can afford, even if you have to start with a good used one.
I started back in the 70's with a Whites S63TR Goldmaster I picked up used. I found coins, Jewerly, watches and some nuggets. It had a range of about 6" max, but I learned its language. When I saw the first XLT's, I knew I had to have one. I loved the fact that I could run it turn on and go, or adjust anything in the computer program. After I learned it's basics, I got the manual of adjustments and custom tuned it. It has found just about everything you can find with a general purpose detector. Now on the beach, I use a Surfmaster PI for it's brute force. I dig everything on the beach anyway. Cache hunting, I use an olde but goodie Hays 2 Box which will reach over 6' for the target.
You have to start somewhere, but you don't have to start at the bottom. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk about luck, skill, and location, but no one has mentioned hard work and long hours. When you start early and stay late, everything else just falls into place.

It's not easy making good finds with any machine, and those that do on a consistent basis are the one's that go the extra mile. Research and determination are the most important factors in my opinion.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk about luck, skill, and location, but no one has mentioned hard work and long hours. When you start early and stay late, everything else just falls into place.

It's not easy making good finds with any machine, and those that do on a consistent basis are the one's that go the extra mile. Research and determination are the most important factors in my opinion.

.............thats exactly my point

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A quote from a Steven Seagal movie: Chance favors the prepared mind. TTC

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
All should remember that for many here prospecting is a hobby. There is a certain justification in not investing in the biggest, best, most expensive detector. If a target is missed no one will know anyway. I also have a large interest in photography but I wouldn't expect a beginner to go buy a Hasselblad camera. Many photographers do a similar thing with cameras and equipment thinking it's all about the stuff when it's about the pictures.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All should remember that for many here prospecting is a hobby. There is a certain justification in not investing in the biggest, best, most expensive detector. If a target is missed no one will know anyway. I also have a large interest in photography but I wouldn't expect a beginner to go buy a Hasselblad camera. Many photographers do a similar thing with cameras and equipment thinking it's all about the stuff when it's about the pictures.
.... For some reason some think that the more they pay the better the item.......Not true ......

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hangers I use for L-rods are as cheap a metal detector as I found. And with them I mastered Dowsing. Can I call that Elite.?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are so many people equating cheap detector with "can't find good stuff'? There are differences between entry, middle, and high-end machines, but that doesn't mean an entry detector can't find gold or silver.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are so many people equating cheap detector with "can't find good stuff'? There are differences between entry, middle, and high-end machines, but that doesn't mean an entry detector can't find gold or silver.

I'm wondering why he is equating people with high-end machines with elitism. See enough of that attitude in our politics, now I see it in our hobby...great. :sadsmiley: :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions