The Elite In This Hobby

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The space shuttle was a wonderful vehicle, but that does not mean it is good to drive back and forth to work. Look, I get it, some people have to have a White's or whatever. I am sure it is a fine machine. But I was pulling stuff out of the ground in 1960 with a detector I made out of plywood and some wire out of an old radio transformer. I've never owned a Mercedes. If I won one in a contest, I'd sell it. I don't need such a car any more than I need whatever the Mecedes of detectors is. Far more people drive to work every day in a Chevy than they do a Mercedes and they get there on time. I spent about $600 on my detector and it has paid that back time and a gain. I've never had a detector that did not pay for itself in a few months. If it sends chiils up and down your spine to swing a $2,000+ machine and you can afford it, go for it. Nobody cares.

What this thread is about is that people new to the hobby do not need the idea shoved at them that they also need such a machine. Every time a Newbie signs on and asks for advice people start telling them about expensive scientific machines that the general hobbyist does not need to worry about. Let them start with a $150 to $700 machine and learn from there. Maybe they will someday gravitate to somethjing hign end. Just let it come with time.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Tesoro Cutlass UmaxII for over 13 years and I would want a new one. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some other brands have but I can find things just as good. No balancing to do...Just turn it on and go...:)

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All: I have to agree with the starter of this // There are several things that P*** me off on these websites //
first when a poster says I have a xyz and cant get it to do Bla Bla- and the next 3 responses start with I dont know anything about an xyz but MY ABC is much better /////
OR: I got out for the first time with my new XYZ and found a dime/// Response: Well I went out with my ABC and found 65 Gold coins//// geve me a break/// in reality, most of us are in the newbee or near newbee class// lets have a little class and respect the poster/// Perry

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perry, it's not specific websites but rather the internet itself.
When I started out in the mid 80's there was a club but no one would help me. Zilch.
The only dealer in my city would try and push the high-end machines and I could only afford so much.
Completely all on my own. So I picked a machine and worked hard at it with NO help from anyone. I upgraded to a mid-ranged machine and mastered it. I still use that model today.
Now we have the internet and every newbie comes on and asks what machine to get, how do I use it, etc.
That leaves them open to all kinds of responses.
My advice to anyone is to pick the machine that feels right and go out and use it!
If I didn't need help (high school education) then neither does anyone else.
Trial and error and hard work.
You can do it!

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett "Ace 250", Garrett "Groundhog", BH "Tracker IV", Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess i'll throw in my 2cents, LOL. I recently got back into this hobby. I purchased a BH Tracker IV at Hobby Lobby. Is it the detector i am dying to have? No. It is however one that works and one i can afford. I really don't pay any attention to someone who belittles my brand or type of MD. I know what i can afford and what is working for me at this point in time. When i can afford it i do hope to upgrade to a Whites or something equivalent but for now i will remain perfectly happy with what i have.

A friend and i have been researching a 1830-1840 Ferry crossing site for over 2 weeks. We have spent many hours and hours researching maps, talking to old people around the area, library info, internet info. I would say at this point, if we do find something we will have 90% research, 5 % detector and 5% operator, LOL. Either way if there is anything there we should get a signal and that's all that matters to us. He has a BH 202 and is pleased with it. I guess to sum up my outlook on this topic is that as long as i am able to find stuff i'll be happy.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who just started hunting again. Said he used to hunt long ago with the old army surplus detector. Said he found some things. Anyways he bought a new high end machine. Said he liked his old one better. Showed me his relics he had found long ago. Its a room like a museum.

If it is not in the ground you are not going to be digging anything,,,,,,, I do not care what kinda detector you have or what you paid for it. Have fun.

HH
TnMtns

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
One upmanship has always been around. Eward Weston, the great photographer once did a collection of photos called Clouds. They were done with what he said was a $5 lens. He wanted to show that great pictures should be attempted even if you don't have the best equipment.
We all can understand the benefit of the best out there but many need the justification of the cost. For myself, when and if I begin to make finds of value I might consider an upgrade. The other thing about upgrades is today stuff, especially electronic stuff. is it will be obsolete just around the corner. It's also expensive to upgrade, especially wives.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old saying that applies here, " beware of the man with one gun, he most likely knows how to use it"! I think the same goes here, it's not the machine, but the man behind it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions