The Elite In This Hobby

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
Top end[expensive] detectors should be our weapon of choice,if we can afford them, and more importantly have the experience to use them........iv`e got a minelab 705,with the Nel coil...it`s a pretty useful setup...esp for the amount of detecting i get to do these days.....a cheaper model ,can still find the goodies,,esp if you have a field full of saxon gold !!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 100% completely agree with herb n surf. I think I know which thread he is talking about. It just seems that some people feel compelled to put others down when it comes to detectors. I have used Tesoro's for many years...love 'em! And let me tell ya...I have had a lot of very good finds. But.... I have gotten a few smirks at times from other "elite" detectorists and jokes like "I see you brought your son's toy today" or "When are you going to break down and get a REAL detector?" and similar comments.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 100% completely agree with herb n surf. I think I know which thread he is talking about. It just seems that some people feel compelled to put others down when it comes to detectors. I have used Tesoro's for many years...love 'em! And let me tell ya...I have had a lot of very good finds. But.... I have gotten a few smirks at times from other "elite" detectorists and jokes like "I see you brought your son's toy today" or "When are you going to break down and get a REAL detector?" and similar comments.

Wow!I would put a Tesoro against any detector out there in trained hands!!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!I would put a Tesoro against any detector out there in trained hands!!

So true kuger my friend, many times I have gone right behind other detectorists and have found nice stuff they didn't get. LoL

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I look at the high end detectors about the same way as finding a lot of gold, it would be nice to have, but I don't need it. My ACE works great in the pastures, finds targets pretty well, and if I have to use it to keep the bulls away, I'm out a couple of hundred bucks.

I don't detect to get rich. I like finding the old rusty stuff from decades ago. I like searching the lost and found section of the paper and try to help recover lost rings when I can. But most of all, I detect to get out of the house. And for that, who cares what kind of detector you use.

Best of luck to everyone,
Bill

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luck? Luck is being in the right place at the right time. And that is only accomplished by being out there often! TTC

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am SO disappointed! :dontknow: When I saw the thread title, I thought for sure we were going to get the inside scoop on the "Gary Drayton Report." He has successfully slipped my private investigator's surveillance efforts in Fort Lauderdale twice now! :laughing7:
You and me both, Terry! LOL!
laughing7.gif

I always enjoy seeing his finds, (then kick myself for not being where ever he is)!
It's ok though, one day I'll put up a pic of my stuffs, I do just fine. (I THINK I know whereabouts he may be searching, but I remember the thread "keep your mouth shut", too).
laughing7.gif

First time out with my little Ace250, netted me gold and diamond earring. That little machine has found me more gold & platinum......
A friend let me borrow her Sand Shark, I found so much jewelry, I bought the Excal. I found so much jewelry, I bought a back-up Excal! Next machine will be the Sand Shark. They are perfect for where I hunt and what I find. Let the elite pooh pooh my machines, I have laughed and laughed every time I go to the bank!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true kuger my friend, many times I have gone right behind other detectorists and have found nice stuff they didn't get. LoL

...............I go back behind myself,with my Tesoro and find stuff,its getting down to a layer my other machine doesnt get....

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was one i got at radio shack nearly 20 years ago. I played wiht it in the back yard and gave up because there was so much junk. However i lost my wedding band twice out ithe yard while doing yard work. After a few minutes i went in a nd grabbed the detector and went to work. I had my ring back on my finger after a few minutes. This happened two times. I stopped wearing the wedding band after that unless we were going out.
Needless to say a radio shack metal detector is not only not high on the list of detectors it was probably not on anyones list of detectors to own period, bit it worked great to find that gold wedding band and save my lots of trouble.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
.....so those guys just go stumbling out through the woods and just fall luckily into sites on a consistent basis???

I think you missed the point! I said 50% skill & 50% luck. The research is in the skill part, but the luck part goes with getting accurate research info and walking over the right spot. I think you might have a problem with building up false images of what someone says. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luck is only a factor for the beginners. The more experience you have, the more luck you will have. My daddy used to say, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." Work and effort will improve your success rate a lot more than flipping a coin on which way to go. I got my GTI 1500 as an upgrade and was very unlucky for a while. But once I put in the time to learn the way it works, I got much luckier. My daddy also said that good luck was what happened when opportunity met preparation. The quickest way to being unlucky is to rely on luck. I say you should not wait for your ship to come in, swim out to meet it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have to get the coil over something to find it........... Some days I am lucky at the beach other days I am not.....LOL

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you missed the point! I said 50% skill & 50% luck. The research is in the skill part, but the luck part goes with getting accurate research info and walking over the right spot. I think you might have a problem with building up false images of what someone says. Frank

View attachment 732796

Never realized we were cross....I ask you a question and I am the one that has a "Problem",....actually...reading a lot of replies to your posts I think it is evident who has a "problem",....I am done with it....I am off to be lucky!!!!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see I went a little overboard with my post. Must have been the coffee I was drinking this morning.
Let me put it in another way (with a little controversy of course) .............
I don't care what religion you're into.........
Just don't push it on me!
Same applies to metal detectors.
P.S. I don't believe in luck.
Just millions of variables.

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
.....so those guys just go stumbling out through the woods and just fall luckily into sites on a consistent basis???

Nobody meant it the way your expecting us to defend it, research is invaluable and the guys you mentioned are incredible at it. Also the state your living in and all it's history may be to their benefit too, all were saying is luck plays a percentage in the great finds even for the All-Pro's.

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On the other hand as a very new member and was asking questions about two low ends I got tons of great advice and help! It why I am still here!

Not trying to flame..just presenting a HAPPY HAPPY view. So with that said I ended up with a F4 and love and when I even posted my sorry finds I got a bunch of replys and HH!

just sayin...Im a happy happy guy now drink a beer!!!:occasion14:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What is really dumb is a knuckle head like me. I have three high dollar machines, one analog and two digitals purchased from a from a prestigious manufacturer just down the road, simply because the company is just down the road, and when my coil went bad on the analog machine, I drove up there and they fixed it for nothing while I was looking at their fabulous museum of eat your heart out finds. Now my two digital machines can be programed by someone that knows how, and is inclined to, but the knuckle headed owner hasn't got the foggiest idea of how to program them, and isn't really interested in finding out, so those are just used on the presets. So why didn't I just buy an inexpensive unit and pay for my inexpensive machine with finds, which will probably never happen with the spendy ones I'm using now. I bought an inexpensive machine in the 60's, and never found much of anything with it, for sure nothing smaller than a spoon. The non programmable analog machine has found more good stuff than the two digital ones combined, except I got out more often in those days which probably accounts for it's success. Now days that's my loaner for the grand kids, and they do very well with it. On top of only using presets, I have discrimination on the spendy units, and usually dig everything anyhow. For an old guy that's hard of hearing, probably high dollar ear phones are more important than a fancy discriminating detector, because those subtle sounds are more important, and with my ears I've come to depend on the visual readout more than sound.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the inexpensive machines or the high end machines are the way to go. I think being in the middle at around $500 to $800 will get the average person all they need. The key always comes back to knowing your machine inside and out. Many people here quote the old 100 hours rule. That is a good place to start. But a hundred hours after that you will be even better. Get a basic machine that has decent discrimination, learn it and you will be fine. If $800 seems high end to some, I apologize. I was thinking of those ones that are well over a thousand.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GrizLeeBear said:
Luck is only a factor for the beginners. The more experience you have, the more luck you will have. My daddy used to say, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." Work and effort will improve your success rate a lot more than flipping a coin on which way to go. I got my GTI 1500 as an upgrade and was very unlucky for a while. But once I put in the time to learn the way it works, I got much luckier. My daddy also said that good luck was what happened when opportunity met preparation. The quickest way to being unlucky is to rely on luck. I say you should not wait for your ship to come in, swim out to meet it.

Gary Player quote " the more I practice the luckier I get" as a reply to someone he just beat who accused him of being lucky.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck had nothing to do with the fact, that when I found a white gold ladies wedding band, and was happy and started to leave, that I then realized, the wedding band is worn UNDER the wedding ring.
My little kitteh butt backed right back up, extended my search out. That day I went home with 2 gold rings. One with beautiful diamonds, the other part of a perfect matching set.

What's lucky, is remembering to use the intelligence and knowledge, your head holds.

eta: oh, and the price or type of machine I was using, had NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions