The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find much gold on my journey to meet Eagledown, but I did find a national treasure in eagle himself. It was great meeting you. Reading your stories were great, but they're even better in person. Thank you for the opals I purchased as well. they are beautiful. It was great meeting josh as well. I can't wait to get up there again to hang with eagle. Take care. Thxs
You're making me blush Brother.

Thanks for the great post!! If you had come back up, you could have helped me move a lot of boulders. Didn't get much gold, but, I think I'm in better physical condition now. (After I recuperate of course). (lol)

Thanks for the photos, it looks like an awsome area.

We'll have to get together sometime, I know there's some gold out there somewhere.

Eagle

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle, I stumbled onto your thread about a week ago and found it very interesting. So I went back to page 1 and started at the beginning. Wow it was great reading with my morning coffee before I had to go to work. Your writings are captivating and I now feel like you are an old friend. I would like to thank you for all the stories and advise. I live near and work in Jackson and the story about the crystals and diamond you found there have me wondering just where that might be. I have just again got into the search for gold with the last time back in the 70’s. But being married with 3 kids lots of bills and working at times 2 jobs it was short lived as I had no real knowledge just a shovel and a pan. Found some though just flower and small flakes. Kinda wonder where those small vials with my finds went to? Anyway some day if time permits I will tell you of the time I flew off the bridge at Bagby on a helicopter and up the river 4 or 5 miles and had to jump out of it while it was still flying (although not very high) and the time my son-in-law found a stash of gold coins in the Grinding Rock State Park in Pine Grove. Again many thanks for the stories and writings and I wish you well my brother. Mayor
Halito Brother Mayor,

Welcome to our thread!!

Jumped from the helicopter???? Hey, not me!! I'd just have to "go down with the ship" so to speak. (lol) That's the bad part of helicopters and gyrocopters, they fly too low for a parachute, and as far as I'm concerned, jumping is not an option. (lol)

I hope you "subscribed" to this thread, this evening I'll download my cameras and see if I got any photos worth posting.

Eagle

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Eagle just love to see your photos and hear how the trip was. I know it was HOT for about a week. Hope you had a good time. Mayor

crystalhunter

Feb 22, 2010
Eagle,
Thank you for all your great stories! I have really enjoyed reading them, dreaming of finding treasures.
I hope on of these days we will get time to do some exploring as you have done.
Take care

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito all!!

I figured I'd give you an idea of why we didn't get much gold where I had expected (from past experiences) to pick up several ounces. In the meantime, I'm writing the saga of the past 3 weeks on the Merced River and going through the
photos I took while up there.
The first link is the river during a normal Spring runoff.
The second link was taken in 1997.

Panoramio - Photo of Briceburg Suspension Bridge
Panoramio - Photo of 1997 Flood

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
Thank you for all your great stories! I have really enjoyed reading them, dreaming of finding treasures.
I hope on of these days we will get time to do some exploring as you have done.
Take care
Halito crystalhunter,

You are more than welcome My Brother!! And, welcome to Tnet and this thread. If my experiences can help you on your quest, then I feel that I am well compensated.
I don't know what part of Canada you live in, but, from my reading of Lanny of AB thread at;
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries-new-post.html
There are many treasures in Canada just waiting for the adventuresome person(s). It only requires 3 main items to find some of these treasures: Research, time and an understanding family. (Well, I guess I should "throw in; a bit of extraordinary good luck). (lol) Fortunately, my late wife (God bless her) was very supportive and pretty well gave me enough slack to persue my dreams. Though she had no interest in going out into the rugged hills with me, she always made a big deal over the treasures I brought back. Amazing woman!!

Just keep searching.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the entrepreneur among us

Have you ever wanted to be Mayor of a small town?? Well, you can buy this town and appoint yourself Mayor. Then, as Mayor, you can appoint yourself as Town Marshal. Hey, what more could a man want than prestige and the authority to back it up? (lol)

The first photo is self explanatory. No, it's not for shoeing horses, it's for protecting your Mercedes. (lol)

The second one could be a mercantile or haberdashery (whatever that is). (lol)

The third one is of course, the Hotel.

More after my dinner.........

Attachments

• P1010020a.JPG
    P1010020a.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 156
  • P1010021a.JPG
    P1010021a.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010022a.JPG
    P1010022a.JPG
    613 KB · Views: 899
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More

The next photo is a store, that with a little TLC could also serve as living quarters.

Next is the jail. Unfortunately, the sun was in my camera lense, so I couldn't get a good photo of it. It's mostly hidden by the big oak tree. Kinda small too. (lol) Then there's another store just beyond it.

Now, last, but not least is the Saloon and Dining building. The inside is as modern as most fine restaurants and cocktail lounges. (Really). It also includes a competition size arena behind the saloon for your bucking bronco and roping competition.

And all of this can be yours for a mere $240k.

Enjoy,

Eagle

Attachments

• P1010023a.JPG
    P1010023a.JPG
    540.6 KB · Views: 491
  • P1010026a.JPG
    P1010026a.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 177
  • P1010024a.JPG
    P1010024a.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle,
I wanted to comeback up bad and help with those boulders, but I had to much crap going on. When are you coming back up this way?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle,
I wanted to comeback up bad and help with those boulders, but I had to much crap going on. When are you coming back up this way?
Well, I'd like to come back up today Brother. But, financially, that just ain't happening. (lol)

The main problem is that every time I go up there for 3 or 4 days, I end up spending about $300 on gas and food by the time I get back home. So, even with the help I recieved on this last 3 week trip, I still returned home pretty much broke. (lol)
Today, I'll mail out the payments for all of my bills, and I'm broke again. So, I really can't say when I'll be back up that way. But, I'll definately let you know, when I know.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remains of an old mill site

An old mill site, pointed out to me by "mariposagoldbag". Sorry, I'm not sure he would appreciate me saying where it is. So, if he doesn't mind you knowing, perhaps he'll be kind enough to post its general area.

Attachments

• P1010015a.JPG
    P1010015a.JPG
    613.3 KB · Views: 175

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, that mill....I'd say its somewhere in Mariposa...lol

Hey Eagle! Found some new nuggets today! One is 0.6 grams and the other is 1.5 grams.

IMG_0228.JPG

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you better send those to me. They're full of holes!! It might take a while, but maybe I can "heal" them for you. :laughing7:

Good going Brother!! Make sure you save some for me for my next trip. :headbang:

Eagle

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle! I just got back from out little spot we came across last time you were here and found ANOTHER nugget...DAMN ! Just found it after picking you know who up from work. It was one but it got broke in the process of thinking it couldn't be another nugget...lol...
IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0235.JPG

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Oakview, ever since I've got this Minelab 3500 my GoldBug has seen very little use. All the new pictures I posted were found with the Minelab.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Is your Minelab stock or has it been modified? Very nice jewerly quality pieces on the quarter. The big piece that broke traveled a long distance before you found it. Continued success and keep those picture coming.. PS... Did you buy your Minelab used and if you don't mind asking how much they are on the used market and is this model discontinued or still in production. I really love the GPX 5000, but five grand + is not in the budget...

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariposagoldbag, I love that third photo, (with the two pieces together), it looks like a hand feeding a monkey. :headbang::laughing7::laughing7:

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle, thats funny it does!

Oakview, my Minelab is stock and was bought used for real price, $1700.00. I was pretty lucky to find one for that, actually it found me. I tend to see them on ebay for more like $2200 or so, maybe more. You'll probably do better looking for one on the forums, let the people know what your looking for and wait and see what happens. And I dont think they are making 3500's anymore, so I'd say they are discontinued.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't mind me asking, what coil are you using, and how much more success have you had with the 3500 vs the Goldbug....Thanks in advance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread