Thoughts on CTX3030

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've finally received the CTX3030. First thoughts are nice build, but heavier than my other detectors. Simple programming...much less programming options than my V3i. Like the waypoint and GPS function ALOT. Like the target trace...think that will come in handy. Wish the screen was brighter/more color enhanced. Maybe difficult to see outside on a bright day. Made my own programs to try and maximize depth and performance. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to "silence" the coil? After I pinpoint and want to dig a target, I usually silence the detector with a button push so that it doesn't make a peep when digging. Is there a button on the CTX that will do this?

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn volume down so u barely hear it or turn off machine if the beeps are bothering you when digging. Screen is hard to see on a bright day, I think you can get a sun shade for the ctx, I think I saw one on ebay. I leave my back light on all the time, it does use a little more battery consumption.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave, appreciate it. Wish I could somehow link the hot key for volume off, but doesn't seem to work that way.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave, appreciate it. Wish I could somehow link the hot key for volume off, but doesn't seem to work that way.
I usually find if I'm in Auto sensitivity that it's pretty quite or bump it down a couple if running manual before digging

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've finally received the CTX3030. First thoughts are nice build, but heavier than my other detectors. Simple programming...much less programming options than my V3i. Like the waypoint and GPS function ALOT. Like the target trace...think that will come in handy. Wish the screen was brighter/more color enhanced. Maybe difficult to see outside on a bright day. Made my own programs to try and maximize depth and performance. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to "silence" the coil? After I pinpoint and want to dig a target, I usually silence the detector with a button push so that it doesn't make a peep when digging. Is there a button on the CTX that will do this?

it shouldn't beep when digging unless you put the coil up near something, it sounds like there might be some EMI, you should do an auto noise cancellation.

It really takes 100+ hours to really get good with the CTX, but stick with it. This machine will actually amaze you.

It's the best I've ever used, and only when I hunt out a spot I'll pick up the v3i to find out if I missed anything. Sometimes the v3i will pick up something worth digging, they both compliment each other.

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of trashy locations and I can see the frustration setting in already with going to set the detector down and it going off because of all the trash. With some additonal button pushes I can silence it, sure, but figured there would be a 1 button push silencer. I can live with it, but it does take a way a little of my like factor from the machine. I'll use this one more for all around hunting (land and water) and the v3i will be my go to for land.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt a lot of trashy locations and I can see the frustration setting in already with going to set the detector down and it going off because of all the trash. With some additonal button pushes I can silence it, sure, but figured there would be a 1 button push silencer. I can live with it, but it does take a way a little of my like factor from the machine. I'll use this one more for all around hunting (land and water) and the v3i will be my go to for land.
That just doesn't sound right, unless the trash is all over the top of the ground it shouldn't be going off. Try the auto noise cancellation. Stick with it, don't pick up the V3i for at least a month, if you use it you'll never devote the time needed to the CTX. If you stick with it, you'll barely use the V3i anymore, especially in trash.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just doesn't sound right, unless the trash is all over the top of the ground it shouldn't be going off. Try the auto noise cancellation. Stick with it, don't pick up the V3i for at least a month, if you use it you'll never devote the time needed to the CTX. If you stick with it, you'll barely use the V3i anymore, especially in trash.

+1 to this!

When I bought my E-Trac 4 years ago I was really frustrated at first. I wanted to go back to my old detector because I knew it, but that only makes it harder to learn the new one. To parrot what others said about the noise, something isn't right. If you are getting responses while the machine is setting motionless, there are other factors at work.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got in from hunting with my CTX and it was totally quite while I was digging targets in manual 22. I only run auto if there's Emi or so much trash the machine is jumpy. Sounds like there's some other problem going on. Ground balance should be DISABLED you're in highly mineralized soil. Have you ran noise cancel with coil off the ground 12"?

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I'll deal with the sounds, or I'll just use headphones and then turn down the volume on them rather than on the machine. Much quicker with the knob.
I haven't done any detecting with it, just in the yard once with some test coins. I noticed some sounds and figured in a high trash situation they would be sounding the detector off.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I'll deal with the sounds, or I'll just use headphones and then turn down the volume on them rather than on the machine. Much quicker with the knob. I haven't done any detecting with it, just in the yard once with some test coins. I noticed some sounds and figured in a high trash situation they would be sounding the detector off.
Yes, using a CTX without headphones would be a shame. Sounds like Emi to me. Try Auto Noise Cancel and it should be quite as a mouse. There are only a couple aftermarket headphones that will turn external speaker off when plugged directly into CTX. I know Sunray makes one. The stock Koss's sound fine to me and fit my head good, and never move with the wireless module on my belt or jacket pocket.

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I picked it up I got a set of the grey ghost's...I haven't tried them out yet, but like a light set for land hunting. I got a pair that came with the whites that are light and don't crush my ears :) They also have a knob for volume, cheapy's but good enough for me. Thanks for the helpful tips guys. I look forward to learning this machine...and seeing if it will be able to pick up anything I've missed in any of these hunted out places.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you run it in all metal it is kind of noisy. Some of the stock programs are a little noisy also. Download Evan's Gone Hunting program, and it will run very quite. The CTX is one of the most quite detector's I have used.

I rarely have to run my noise cancel, but when I do, it always clears up the EMI. Running on manual sensitivity in trashy areas causes a lot of "pops" also. When I am in trashy areas, I will generally hunt in Auto=2 or 3.

BTW, just bought a Pro Swing 45 from Fort Bedford. It is amazing harness, just a little expensive for what it is, but is is worth it.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First of all, even if the detector is out of the box, do a complete reset even if you only have 5 mins using it, I did that to mine after 2 hrs of having a hard time to pinpoint and some falses and it worked like it should!

In my local beach, which is Iron & trash infestation galore the detector is VERY noisy too, between trash and mineralization which tends to do some noises when I run the detector hot and having some Iron screen part uncovered due to SS ringed bimetal pesos I focus only in strong targets, dont try to dig every noise the detector does, focus only in the strong ones untill you feel confortable with it. When I dig slight beeps its usually rusted caps or very rusted iron.

HH !

conceptmachine

Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips guys, they are greatly appreciated. I'll find Evan's program

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips guys, they are greatly appreciated. I'll find Evan's program
Send me your email, I have a program I would like for someone else to try, to get some feedback on. It's built for high trash, quick coin shooting. I've found it to be very effective when your limited on time and want to cover ground quickly. It makes silver scream at you, even when sweeping fast.

Last edited:

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanz fletch for the files, was wondering how your file works on our Canadian currency ? Evans gone hunting gets the old Canuck stuff but nothing current , I was sent from minelab Canada a Canadian coin program. Wich works great on my air test, but don't know how it will work on all other stuff like gold , etc. iam sure it will be great on Canuck silver as well, can I combine my Canuck coin with gone hunting program and have it all covered ? Can't wait to play around with this once snow is gone ,

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had time to load the Canadian program yet. I'll compare the 2 and get back to you.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dean, just uploaded the Canadian coin Mlf. From what I see you have to dig it all to find, I presume, modern Canadian coins. The bottom right of pattern 1 is open, which is where most of the bits if iron will fall. I know very little about the history if Canadian coinage, so I'm not much help there I guess. If the older coins are silver or copper the program I sent you should work ok.

Regards,
Walt

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I no this tread was for CTX user which I'm no,but was thinking of getting one.It does have nice features, I just don't like that people are changing the coils already, but think I'm going with the etrac, and people comparing the atpro to the CTX shut up. And I'm a atpro user 3yrs to be exact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread