UPDATE~1936 Dot Penny..Verdict Is In!

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300
According to my book, I have just found a penny worth $50.000.00!!!

I am SHOCKED, SHAKING and in DISBELIEF!!!

I did the best I can to take a pic to show you guys, and if you look, you will see the DOT!
Posting a few pics of it and what the book shows.

Copy from "The 2007 Charlton Coin guide"

1936dottd7.jpg

dsc04418oq1.jpg

dsc04414jh4.jpg

Pics are not looking good...Here it is Scanned....

1936dotpennyfoundnov222ip5.jpg
1936dotpennyfoundnov222in1.jpg

I know this will have to be "authenticated" as there have only been 4 confirmed but, I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it is indeed an original!

Here's a closer view enlarged by PBK ~ thanks PBK! ;)

index.php

Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T

TreasureTales

Toronto is a HUGE city, isn't it? There must be more than one coin "expert" in that city. I'd take it to each and every coin shop/expert and get the opinions of ALL of them. Then I'd send it, insured for 50,000 Canadian Dollars, to the best coin grading/authenticating house in the continent to see what they have to say.

I certainly wouldn't take the word of one, obviously-obnoxious, hard-headed "expert" if I were you. Nope, I'd keep asking until someone actually takes the time to carefully analyze the coin and gives a respectful answer. Whether it is authentic or not, I wouldn't settle for less than 3 opinions.

As for the dot, I can see it plain as day and my eyesight isn't all that good.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
My two cents from my experience in paper money.......if you believe it's the real deal, get a legit expert at an auction house to look at it. Travel or get it insured. Don't let someone's opinion from a 1/2 ass shop who isn't even bothering his two seconds to take a close look give you a final answer. Research the internet and see what your options are as far as authenticating the coin.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I'm still have hope for you that it is real. Mayber do some more research on that coin. If there are only 4 known not anyone will be able to authenticate it for you. I think you need to find someone who is a expert on that vintage of coin. Its worth the time and effort :)

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
is the dot raised or sunk in? that might tell you if its real or not.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Ya know, if I were a less honest person, I wouldn't see a dot either. Then I would promptly offer you $25 for your coin.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I would take it to someone else also...Real or counterfeit...its still a fine coin! Thanks for sharing your great story with us.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then there's a shop or two that'll tell you it's nothing but then offer to buy it from you.

That's definately when you turn around and walk out with it still in your pocket!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to add that if you bring it to someone else,don't tell them that another professional said he didn't see a dot.Let him make his decision alone.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
What ??? That is plain goofy, how can he not see something there ? Whether it's there by accident or a forgery, there is a blemish there on that coin where a "dot" would be. I think I would start seriously think about sending it off overnight mail for grading with some insurance for shipping.

S

sendin

Something is wrong with the link to the 1rst page of this post. I am missing the middle part of this adventure and it is driving me crazy. What happened? Best I can figure is that some coin guy in Canada said "no."

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sendin said:
Something is wrong with the link to the 1rst page of this post. I am missing the middle part of this adventure and it is driving me crazy. What happened? Best I can figure is that some coin guy in Canada said "no."

See 1 [2] Bottom left on this Page ?

Click on the 1 & wait for it to Load.

a Lot of Pics cause Slow loading on some systems.

or if you Prefer click here

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,58255.0.html

OP
OP
Wezzie

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your comments and confidence! :) I'm not giving up on this penny and I will get more opinions. Maybe it is counterfeit, maybe it's real, I dunno! What I do know is I'm not settling on "No Dot"

There is definately a dot there and I don't need a magnifying glass to see it either.
The outter edge of the dot looks to be sunken and the center, a perfect circle and the colour of the coin itself...brown. It does not seem to be pointy.

D

doyboy

How can you go against the word of an expert? It must be a fake then. Not to spoil your fortune, Weezie, but I don't really see the dot.

Karma Guy

Nov 12, 2006
Kirkland, Wa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I'm new to this forum and certainly don't have the experience that other members do, but if the so called expert can't see it and I can (and a novice as well) then he needs to go back to umpiring as that appears to be his calling. Get a second...and third opinion which would the thing to do even if the expert confirmed what it appears to be. By all means don't let this one leave your sight, poeple will do all kinds of things to be the 5th in the world in anything.

Nice find and best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread