gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wright, do you say we'uns and you'uns? My family is from OH but I was born and raised in NY and I do have some OH accent. OH #7 sounds like some of my aunts but they were all from NW OH, Toledo and north and west of there. My cousins say we'uns instead of us and you'uns instead of you. I lost those years ago but it was part of my way of speech when younger. My sister has been in Xenia for close to fifty years but she still sounds more NY than OH.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was born and raised in Arizona but every one I talk to ask me where I am from they all assume I am from Kentucky or some other southern state we all know what assumption does for you my wife is always saying I am to rude and blunt because I am one person that calls a spade a spade and do not really care what people think grow some thicker skin if you cannot handle the truth

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never would have guessed that.

For some reason I imagined you sound a little like Ed Asner, strong, deep, authoritative voice. I was going to post a video, but as I was typing, the video started dropping the f-bomb. Close call. LOL

Ed Asher? More like that D-nozzle Ashton Kutcher. :laughing7:

I can't sing a note, can't dance a step, and I think too fast to speak coherently-which is how come I am a writer and not a politician.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tread says "what do you sound like?" Well no one said if that is on approach or exit. In my case nothing exceptional on approach but when I exit I do tend to have some fairly loud reports that in most cases there is a reaction from the listener.:laughing7:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young my Uncle said I had a Boston accent, don't know why I am from southern California.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very much like a VDI. Monday - Iron grunt Wednesday - solid mid tone Friday - that little squeeker that everyone digs

Chub

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You do get up pretty early, rook. Here you go, a video for you. I'm guessing you have a talk kind of slow like a Mississippi roll.

Glad I watched the music video. I was born in and grew up in Knoxville until I was almost 13 years old and just found out that Morgan Wallen is from there as well.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wright, do you say we'uns and you'uns? My family is from OH but I was born and raised in NY and I do have some OH accent. OH #7 sounds like some of my aunts but they were all from NW OH, Toledo and north and west of there. My cousins say we'uns instead of us and you'uns instead of you. I lost those years ago but it was part of my way of speech when younger. My sister has been in Xenia for close to fifty years but she still sounds more NY than OH.

gunsil, I only hear that slang from Ohioans who have been influenced by Kentuckians. And #7 is the closest to my accent, but it ain't (that's a word the teachers tried to get us to quit saying, but failed) exactly it. I hear a lot of people here say "aks" instead of "ask." And a lot (including myself) of "shoulda, coulda, woulda, kinda, don't cha, won't cha." Sometimes I type it that way.

So your sister went through the Xenia Tornado in 1974? I remember that day! I was in 11 years old and in 6th grade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Ed Asher? More like that D-nozzle Ashton Kutcher. :laughing7:

I can't sing a note, can't dance a step, and I think too fast to speak coherently-which is how come I am a writer and not a politician.

Ohhhh. A fast talker. My grandson is like that. Sometimes I have to make him repeat what he says 3-4 times before I can figure it out!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad I watched the music video. I was born in and grew up in Knoxville until I was almost 13 years old and just found out that Morgan Wallen is from there as well.

I'm glad you learned something from my thread. :laughing9:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I moved around a lot as a young kid, living in Florida, Texas, South Carolina, Chicago,New Jersey, and Maryland .. My dialect was probably influenced by all of them.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably Texas 9 or Oklahoma 6.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I moved around a lot as a young kid, living in Florida, Texas, South Carolina, Chicago,New Jersey, and Maryland .. My dialect was probably influenced by all of them.

You would be the "melting pot" of the American dialect, sounds like. My sister-in-law has moved around quite a bit. Even as an adult, she picks up different dialects.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a bear until I've had a morning pot of coffee.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the things that motivated me for this thread is that I have been noticing on TV that there are less and less accents. It's like the whole country is getting standardized. We watch American Pickers alot. I love it when they get people on there with accents.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil, I only hear that slang from Ohioans who have been influenced by Kentuckians. And #7 is the closest to my accent, but it ain't (that's a word the teachers tried to get us to quit saying, but failed) exactly it. I hear a lot of people here say "aks" instead of "ask." And a lot (including myself) of "shoulda, coulda, woulda, kinda, don't cha, won't cha." Sometimes I type it that way.

So your sister went through the Xenia Tornado in 1974? I remember that day! I was in 11 years old and in 6th grade.

My cousins do say the aks thing also but they are all northern OH folks born and bred. Yes, my sister survived the Xenia tornado, she was 24 and a new school teacher. Her house did not get hit luckily and she and her husband were not hurt, Her husband's place of work got blown down but nobody got hurt there either. They were very lucky. My mother drove out from NY right away to volunteer at the hospital and shelters.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't really find much of anything I think sounds like me. When I first came here, I had to get a translator when I asked two of my employees 'What y'all fixin to do?'. I've tried to work on sounding more like the guy on the evening news, so I don't get 'huh?' as much. And not use pithy country sayings that totally confuse people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread