Minnesota accent. Just watch the movie “Fargo”

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess they couldn't find any southern Missouri ozark hillbillies for the study. I didnt find any that sounded like me.
Closest I found was Missouri 22 Woman from Sikeston, she pronounced alot of words the way I do.
I have lived north for 25 years now so I am sure my dialect has changed some from when I was a younger,

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ever hear Leon Russell talk, I've been told we sound a whole lot alike, so that would be some kind of Oklahoma accent. Of course when it comes to singing, he sounds like Leon Russell and I sound like Elvis, haha!

I think I found a video with Leon Russell both talking and singing.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess they couldn't find any southern Missouri ozark hillbillies for the study. I didnt find any that sounded like me.
Closest I found was Missouri 22 Woman from Sikeston, she pronounced alot of words the way I do.
I have lived north for 25 years now so I am sure my dialect has changed some from when I was a younger,

I could hear a subtle "twang" in her voice. Otherwise, I couldn't hear much difference. Maybe the Midwest all sounds similar?

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Richard Thomas, huh? It took me a minute, but I found a short clip.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue who I sound like. Northern Ohio? But I can change the words I use depending on who I'm talking too. Grandma(dad's side) uses words like ..Winders, warsh,Hain't, Ohia. Most of that was taken out of us Grandkids in school. She was from the Farms and it sounds like a KY,WV type accent.

At one point I worked with guys that had the Cleveland Accents, and noticed I started talking like that after working with them for years. That kind of sounds like the cleveland mixed with Chicago. is the only way I know how to describe it.

My Grandparents on my Moms side are from PA, My Grandfather speaks like a freakin dictionary and you can't understand half of the big words he uses that the average person doesn't use in "normal" conversation. He was an editor. So, when I was young, I would stay there, I had to speak clearly and and not use any slang, everything had to be "proper". I learned at a young age to switch how I talked depending on who I was around or staying with. Blend in. :laughing7: My Mom made us pronounce everything clearly and not to use slang too, but as my brother and I got older we found out that no one actually talks that way all the time in the "real world".. So, I can switch depending on who I'm around and use their words or slang after I'm talking to them. A type of multi lingual? Multi dialect?. :laughing7:

Ohio 5 is probably closest, but even then I still hear an accent. North East Ohio has a lot of different accents that they don't have on that list.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
591d2c167f537.png

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a third generation Arizonian so naturally everyone thinks I'm an Okie.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no clue who I sound like. Northern Ohio? But I can change the words I use depending on who I'm talking too. Grandma(dad's side) uses words like ..Winders, warsh,Hain't, Ohia. Most of that was taken out of us Grandkids in school. She was from the Farms and it sounds like a KY,WV type accent.

At one point I worked with guys that had the Cleveland Accents, and noticed I started talking like that after working with them for years. That kind of sounds like the cleveland mixed with Chicago. is the only way I know how to describe it.

My Grandparents on my Moms side are from PA, My Grandfather speaks like a freakin dictionary and you can't understand half of the big words he uses that the average person doesn't use in "normal" conversation. He was an editor. So, when I was young, I would stay there, I had to speak clearly and and not use any slang, everything had to be "proper". I learned at a young age to switch how I talked depending on who I was around or staying with. Blend in. :laughing7: My Mom made us pronounce everything clearly and not to use slang too, but as my brother and I got older we found out that no one actually talks that way all the time in the "real world".. So, I can switch depending on who I'm around and use their words or slang after I'm talking to them. A type of multi lingual? Multi dialect?. :laughing7:

Ohio 5 is probably closest, but even then I still hear an accent. North East Ohio has a lot of different accents that they don't have on that list.

You are really going to pick up a different kind of accent, now that you have moved. I always tried to pronounce words "proper." I can relate to "warsh" instead of "wash." I know someone that says it like that. And, my dad says, "worsh."

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that ohio accent also I lived all over ohio for many years

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are really going to pick up a different kind of accent, now that you have moved. I always tried to pronounce words "proper." I can relate to "warsh" instead of "wash." I know someone that says it like that. And, my dad says, "worsh."

I hain't gonna Warsh the winders! :laughing7: I'm not really sure where ain't turned into hain't...I've even seen it written both ways in old books, I think. When I was a kid it was pounded in us to talk "proper" but the older I get...Who cares? That's what makes everyone different. Why do we all want to sound the same!! I've known some super intelligent people that didn't write or speak "right" and I've known the opposite to that too...I think it means very little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread