Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listened to some of the accents on the accent website and the closest I found was North Carolina 21. I'm significantly older than the reader in that sample but the accent is similar. I was born in Fayetteville, NC and grew up in the Sandhills near Fort Bragg. I was an on-air radio announcer when I was in high school at a time when accents were not a desirable trait so I listened to other announcers and, in time, lost a great deal of my sweet Southern accent.

Like many other places in these great United States, North Carolina has many interesting and distinct dialects (down-east from the outer banks, northern NC/southern VA in the border counties, the Robeson County Lumbee accent, and the NC Mountain language). It freaks some people out that I know where they are from in the state based on the way they sound.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You do get up pretty early, rook. Here you go, a video for you. I'm guessing you have a talk kind of slow like a Mississippi roll.

I do talk slow because I'm thinking what the next word is gonna be.:laughing7:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm from IL, south central. I have a somewhat southern accent. So. IL was settled beginning in 1780's with people coming from KY, TN, GA, and NC right down the Ohio River and up into IL. People in the southern half of IL definitely have some southern accent. Northern IL wasn't settled until slightly later with people coming from the NE and they have a completely different accent. Gary

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My cousins do say the aks thing also but they are all northern OH folks born and bred. Yes, my sister survived the Xenia tornado, she was 24 and a new school teacher. Her house did not get hit luckily and she and her husband were not hurt, Her husband's place of work got blown down but nobody got hurt there either. They were very lucky. My mother drove out from NY right away to volunteer at the hospital and shelters.

That was very honorable of your mother. I’m glad you don’t have a sad story about the tornado.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't really find much of anything I think sounds like me. When I first came here, I had to get a translator when I asked two of my employees 'What y'all fixin to do?'. I've tried to work on sounding more like the guy on the evening news, so I don't get 'huh?' as much. And not use pithy country sayings that totally confuse people.

Mine would come out, “Whatcha do’ennnn?” With that last part being a weird twang. That’s what I call the north Dayton accent.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive heard my voice on recordings I dont sound anything like the recording same with my pictures havent seen a good camera or mirror whats up with that

Me too, Tommy! And a scale that doesn’t lie! LOL!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I listened to some of the accents on the accent website and the closest I found was North Carolina 21. I'm significantly older than the reader in that sample but the accent is similar. I was born in Fayetteville, NC and grew up in the Sandhills near Fort Bragg. I was an on-air radio announcer when I was in high school at a time when accents were not a desirable trait so I listened to other announcers and, in time, lost a great deal of my sweet Southern accent.

Like many other places in these great United States, North Carolina has many interesting and distinct dialects (down-east from the outer banks, northern NC/southern VA in the border counties, the Robeson County Lumbee accent, and the NC Mountain language). It freaks some people out that I know where they are from in the state based on the way they sound.

NC does have a sweet southern accent. I posted a Hank Parker video on another thread. Hank is from NC. Back in the day, if my husband and kids didn’t get up before Hank came on tv, they had to wait for breakfast and coffee! LOL.
Thanks for choosing a sample and you may have just explained why the accents are disappearing.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I do talk slow because I'm thinking what the next word is gonna be.:laughing7:

I tend to open mouth and insert foot. Even on here I sometimes reply without thinking. A slow talker, hmm.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm from IL, south central. I have a somewhat southern accent. So. IL was settled beginning in 1780's with people coming from KY, TN, GA, and NC right down the Ohio River and up into IL. People in the southern half of IL definitely have some southern accent. Northern IL wasn't settled until slightly later with people coming from the NE and they have a completely different accent. Gary

Oh they do! I’ve been in both and it’s a big difference in my opinion.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, thank you Wrightdigger for that link to the accents. I bookmarked it. It's kinda fun. :coffee2:Ken

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was raised in Oklahoma but born in Washington State. When I go back to Washington they say I don't have an accent but I talk to fast. In Oklahoma most people think I talk to fast like them thar northerners.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Da Bears. 😁

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I was raised in Oklahoma but born in Washington State. When I go back to Washington they say I don't have an accent but I talk to fast. In Oklahoma most people think I talk to fast like them thar northerners.

That's kinda funny! You can't win!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever hear Leon Russell talk, I've been told we sound a whole lot alike, so that would be some kind of Oklahoma accent. Of course when it comes to singing, he sounds like Leon Russell and I sound like Elvis, haha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread