Who is our bottle expert? Even More pics!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We found a LOT of bottles in one of our storage units we bought this weekend. This is probably 1/4 of them. I am hoping someone is knowledgable enough to educate us a bit before David has the garage sale this weekend. I already told him he can't sell them all for a quarter each but I think he wants more info than that! lol There are tons of them in many different colors. Even purple! :D I kinda like purple! :P I can take as many pictures as needed if someone can help me with this. Thanks oh so very much!

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,663
  • DSC01412.JPG
    DSC01412.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • DSC01413.JPG
    DSC01413.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Re: Who is our bottle expert?

I know nothing about the value of bottles but those are some cool bottles whatever they are worth. I would have a hard time selling some of the ones you have pictured. I'd rather put them somewhere and display them.

Heck of a conversation piece.

Daryl

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

a few more pictures

Attachments

• DSC01414.JPG
    DSC01414.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,510
  • DSC01415.JPG
    DSC01415.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,500
  • DSC01416.JPG
    DSC01416.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • DSC01417.JPG
    DSC01417.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • DSC01418.JPG
    DSC01418.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,481

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar

cynangyl, Book-a-million has a great selection of books on old bottles. Most have a price guide telling what price was paid for each bottle at auction. Hope you make a "fortune" selling those bottles. My dad has sold several old bottles and has a couple of the books.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Thanks Daryl! I know what you mean...I started looking through them and immediately started to understand why folks would be wanting to collect bottles! lol

Levisdad, I did buy a Kovell's book on bottles and was able to find a few of them in there that I looked for. Being bottle stupid I was not sure how to even look some of them up or what some of the terms like "blob top bottle" meant! lol I am learning though! ;)

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

You have some good bottles there. I did not see anything super rare from what I recall. I've been out of the bottle digging scene for a long time. Looks like some are really old and others are more modern though. As others have said, get a bottle book from the library and check them out. It will be worth your time.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Cyn:
Here's an except from this site:http://www.bottlebooks.com/drkilmer.htm

By 1895 the company had a line of 18 different medicines: Of these the most common was the Swamp Root. The bottle of which has an embossed label area in the shape of a kidney. The embossing reads: " THE GREAT / DR. / KILMER’S / SWAMP / ROOT / KIDNEY / LIVER & . BLADDER / CURE / SPECIFIC". The bottle was made in a sample, small and large size. Only the large has the embossed kidney. Sometime after the passage of the Food and Drug Act of 1906, the word "CURE" was dropped in favor of the word, "REMEDY". Even later, the embossing was dropped but the embossed kidney panel was retained. Believe it or not one can still buy "Swamp Root" today complete with a portrait of Andral S. Kilmer.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

The Log Cabin,fiddle,colbalt,colbalt poison are all highly collectible. Great find and you didnt even have to dig! WTG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Cyn:
We know your Warner bottle predates 1906. "After the Food and Drug Act of 1906, Warner's was forced to change the word "CURE" to "REMEDY". And at the bottom of this page:
http://www.antiquebottles.com/warners/
there are many other links to Warner bottles.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

I would advise you not to sell any of them until you really know what they're worth.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

at1cad said:
You have some good bottles there. I did not see anything super rare from what I recall. I've been out of the bottle digging scene for a long time. Looks like some are really old and others are more modern though. As others have said, get a bottle book from the library and check them out. It will be worth your time.

I bought one book at work and have started looking some up....there are LOTS to look up too! lol

Mackaydon said:
Cyn:
Here's an except from this site:http://www.bottlebooks.com/drkilmer.htm

By 1895 the company had a line of 18 different medicines: Of these the most common was the Swamp Root. The bottle of which has an embossed label area in the shape of a kidney. The embossing reads: " THE GREAT / DR. / KILMER’S / SWAMP / ROOT / KIDNEY / LIVER & . BLADDER / CURE / SPECIFIC". The bottle was made in a sample, small and large size. Only the large has the embossed kidney. Sometime after the passage of the Food and Drug Act of 1906, the word "CURE" was dropped in favor of the word, "REMEDY". Even later, the embossing was dropped but the embossed kidney panel was retained. Believe it or not one can still buy "Swamp Root" today complete with a portrait of Andral S. Kilmer.

thanks! fascinating site! I will try and look at it more when I get home!

gypsyheart said:
The Log Cabin,fiddle,colbalt,colbalt poison are all highly collectible. Great find and you didnt even have to dig! WTG

Gypsy....David says there are TWO DOZEN boxes of these! glad I didn't have to dig but after cleaning out 3 storage units it feels like I did! lol thanks! I am going to pass on the info to David so he can see what he can find then I am going to take another look when I get home from work!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Mackaydon said:
Cyn:
We know your Warner bottle predates 1906. "After the Food and Drug Act of 1906, Warner's was forced to change the word "CURE" to "REMEDY". And at the bottom of this page:
http://www.antiquebottles.com/warners/
there are many other links to Warner bottles.

another great help, I passed the link to David and will look at it more when I get home....I am really enjoying looking through this stuff!

gold fish said:
I would advise you not to sell any of them until you really know what they're worth.

good point! Hopefully I can find out before this weekend. David is planning a sale and already has atleast one couple interested in the bottles.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cyn,

What a dynamite find with all those old bottles. Man, someone had an awesome collection. Here's what I do when trying ID some...I "Google" the name embossed on the bottle & view that information. I just did the Warner's Cure bottle http://www.antiquebottletrader.com/warners.htm
that particular one has a high $ on several that was found on E-Bay.

Also, under "Bottles & Glass " thread are several websites listed to help. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,16.0.html

Good Luck, if I were you I would keep em all for a collection of my own. ;D

;) RR

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I would sell only the modern and common ones. Keep the old, high value, and just plain interesting ones. They should appreciate quite nicely if they are in perfect shape.

Daryl

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

The green bottle shaped like a cabin is worth quite a few bucks if not a reproduction.I would suggest taking them to an expert.I noticed others than have a price range of 30 to 75 dollars.There is a thread on this site just for bottles that you may get more attention.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston

I agree with Gold fish......I wouldn't sell any of the bottles until you know what they're worth. If you're not sure then they can wait until the next yard sale. It's better to be safe then sorry.

Glenn

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Bottle Info

Wow, the Kilmers and the Warners are great! You have what appears to be some decent mid-late 1800s embossed bottles there. Look on the bottoms for any that are pontiled (pontil is a small round scar where the bottle was broken off of a glass or iron pontil rod) pontil was used until around the mid 1850's and are more collectable. You may find some of them on ebay and see what they are selling for. Bottles are funny, prices tend to fluctuate pending on how many people are looking for that type. It looks like whoever left them there left what would be their favorite bottles. Most folks tend to keep the embossed even if they are not valueable. Most of the non-embossed won't be worth as much money. Example, the warners safe cure would sell between $20-$40 to the right person. Check out these sites for some ideas:

http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/medicinal.htm

http://www.antiquebottles.co.za/Pages/C ... es/Ink.htm

http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles ... ok2006.htm

http://www.kovels.com/

http://www.antiquebottles.com/color/

I hope this helps 8)

Ed-

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

I'll chime in with those saying to find out what you've got before you sell. You have a collection that is more than just a random pile of old bottles. There are many good bottles in there, so don't let yourself get taken. I think you'll do much better selling them on Ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread