Who is our bottle expert? Even More pics!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We found a LOT of bottles in one of our storage units we bought this weekend. This is probably 1/4 of them. I am hoping someone is knowledgable enough to educate us a bit before David has the garage sale this weekend. I already told him he can't sell them all for a quarter each but I think he wants more info than that! lol There are tons of them in many different colors. Even purple! :D I kinda like purple! :P I can take as many pictures as needed if someone can help me with this. Thanks oh so very much!

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,665
  • DSC01412.JPG
    DSC01412.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,591
  • DSC01413.JPG
    DSC01413.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,593
Upvote 0

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
bigcypresshunter said:
It must take many years to turn purple. I put some bottles on my roof here in Florida and had no change in one year, (and we have a lot of sun). I thought they were worth more with that pretty purple tint. I doubt you would lose value.

You are right again ;)

From what I have gathered looking into these bottles that most collector's will pay more for the original clear glass than the purple tint while other's will go for the purple ones and pay a higher price for them. Basically they go for about the same price, clear glass is less likely to be found with the purple glass taking ages to turn color, it kinda evens things out. Both are highly collectable no matter how ya look at it ;D

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
not an expert but do dig a lot of bottles.....some of your more recent bottles may be worth more than the older stuff that is turn of the century.....a couple look to be reproductions though you can try digger odell who is the man...but he's trying to make some money with his books......the pretty blue and green ones are great for display......the brown beers are nice....bottle market is down except for iron pontils on back......anyway beauty is in the eye of the beholder so enjoy....

johny mc is back

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TeddyB1967 said:
I think clear glass began well before the 1800's but it contained lead

http://www.patternglass.com/this_color_purple_99.htm
Lead has been used for centuries as a clarifying agent in making glass. In the 1860's the formulas for American pressed glass changed & lead (See article on flint glass) began to be removed from the mix & manganese was substituted to make the glass brighter and to act as a stabilizer.
In time, it was noticed that this glass made without lead but containing manganese was found to turn a very light lavender if placed in a sunny window or otherwise exposed over time to (ultraviolet) rays of the sun.

There is Flint Glass also that began in 1600's (or before) and it's clear glass that contains powered flint. http://www.patternglass.com/KindFlint/flint.htm

See I told ya i might be wrong ! :D Very cool,thanks for the lesson ! ;D

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
This place is full of folks with so much information! Never knew there was so much fascinating stuff to learn about bottles! :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions