Who is our bottle expert? Even More pics!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We found a LOT of bottles in one of our storage units we bought this weekend. This is probably 1/4 of them. I am hoping someone is knowledgable enough to educate us a bit before David has the garage sale this weekend. I already told him he can't sell them all for a quarter each but I think he wants more info than that! lol There are tons of them in many different colors. Even purple! :D I kinda like purple! :P I can take as many pictures as needed if someone can help me with this. Thanks oh so very much!

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,663
  • DSC01412.JPG
    DSC01412.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • DSC01413.JPG
    DSC01413.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Who is our bottle expert? More pics

These two are already taken but have not shipped them out yet but they are cool so I thought the rest of you might want to see them. I also realized I have not taken pictures of any of the green ones plus there is a box in my closet! No wonder David thinks we have been overrun with bottles and need to start selling some! rofl

Attachments

• DSC01437.JPG
    DSC01437.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 416

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

I got this info from the Digger Odell site, not sure it's the same kind of bottles tho because there were no pics to compare on his site.

Most of these violin bottle were either made by the Clevenger Brothers and have a sheared and fired lip. or they have large protruding tuning pegs at the top of the neck, maker unknown and probably date from the 1920-40 period. Value could be anywhere from $20-45. Digger.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Sis how many Mass ones do you have? I'll buy them, I love the Lowell Ma one. You won't believe this my NON treasure hunter ;), dug 3 old bottles for me today! My collection actually came from him......never know what you will dig up with an excavator :D. He even brught home a Duck once ;).

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Sis how many Mass ones do you have? I'll buy them, I love the Lowell Ma one. You won't believe this my NON treasure hunter ;), dug 3 old bottles for me today! My collection actually came from him......never know what you will dig up with an excavator :D. He even brught home a Duck once ;).

So cool sis!! Send me pics! :D I will check and see how many Mass ones we have for ya! SSH

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

If selling the bottles, I would like any of them that were from Cincinnati, Ohio .
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Cyn, this is one of the sites I was looking thru that states sunlight adds value ;D I knew I wasn't crazy :D ;D

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Home...1/How-To-Find-Treasure-On-Your-Homestead.aspx

COLOR: Sunlight turns old glass a beautiful amethyst, adding to its value. Minerals in the ground may cause rainbow coloring called opalization. This can be beautiful, but may detract from the value and is nearly impossible to remove.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

pointdlr said:
If selling the bottles, I would like any of them that were from Cincinnati, Ohio .
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

I will see what I can find when things slow down enough I have time to look! lol

TeddyB1967 said:
Cyn, this is one of the sites I was looking thru that states sunlight adds value ;D I knew I wasn't crazy :D ;D

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Home...1/How-To-Find-Treasure-On-Your-Homestead.aspx

COLOR: Sunlight turns old glass a beautiful amethyst, adding to its value. Minerals in the ground may cause rainbow coloring called opalization. This can be beautiful, but may detract from the value and is nearly impossible to remove.

SEE! I knew we had good taste!! lol Thanks again Tammy! ~hugs~

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Hey Cynangel,

I don't know anything about bottles....but some of them are really cool looking!
Congratulations on acquiring those ;D

TW

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

TeddyB1967 said:

COLOR: Sunlight turns old glass a beautiful amethyst, adding to its value.
Absolutely! Purple glass is beautiful! It takes many years of sunlight but, as i stated earlier, it can be duplicated quicker with a special light and foil lined box.

If you decide to sell, e-Bay would be a good place. You will get much more than 25 cents a bottle. :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i like the Chicago dog remedy one :D ;D

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Okay so I cheated on the last ones and just did pics still in the case and boxes. I am overwhelmed here! lol

Attachments

• DSC01445.JPG
    DSC01445.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC01444.JPG
    DSC01444.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC01443.JPG
    DSC01443.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC01442.JPG
    DSC01442.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC01441.JPG
    DSC01441.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC01440.JPG
    DSC01440.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01439.JPG
    DSC01439.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC01438.JPG
    DSC01438.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC01446.JPG
    DSC01446.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 217

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
What a collection of bottles there Sis! Collectors heaven. Have you decided how you are going to sell them yet? I would'nt be able to decide which ones I wanted.

I really like the horses too. :D

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sweet bottles ;D I would place some of the clear ones in a sunny place to see if they turn purple. older bottles had magnesium in them and change color when exposed to the sun over time. i saw you had some Pyrex bowls in you pics too. You can Ebay those puppies for some quick dough $$$$ I've sold tons of them. Check your local thrift stores. Easy $

Ace Villav

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
DON'T put all of the clear ones in a window to change the color!!! If they are "original" clear glass from 17/1800's they will be worth lots of $ staying clear. There isnt to many original clear glass from that time period left.

I really like that little red one in the 3rd pic from the bottom.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TeddyB1967 said:
DON'T put all of the clear ones in a window to change the color!!! If they are "original" clear glass from 17/1800's they will be worth lots of $ staying clear. There isnt to many original clear glass from that time period left.

I really like that little red one in the 3rd pic from the bottom.
I believe clear glass wasn't developed until the 1900's,I could be wrong though. ???

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TeddyB1967 said:
It must take many years to turn purple. I put some bottles on my roof here in Florida and had no change in one year, (and we have a lot of sun). I thought they were worth more with that pretty purple tint. I doubt you would lose value.

TeddyB1967 said:

COLOR: Sunlight turns old glass a beautiful amethyst, adding to its value.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I think clear glass began well before the 1800's but it contained lead

http://www.patternglass.com/this_color_purple_99.htm
Lead has been used for centuries as a clarifying agent in making glass. In the 1860's the formulas for American pressed glass changed & lead (See article on flint glass) began to be removed from the mix & manganese was substituted to make the glass brighter and to act as a stabilizer.
In time, it was noticed that this glass made without lead but containing manganese was found to turn a very light lavender if placed in a sunny window or otherwise exposed over time to (ultraviolet) rays of the sun.

There is Flint Glass also that began in 1600's (or before) and it's clear glass that contains powered flint. http://www.patternglass.com/KindFlint/flint.htm

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TeddyB1967 said:
I think clear glass began well before the 1800's but it contained lead

http://www.patternglass.com/this_color_purple_99.htm
Lead has been used for centuries as a clarifying agent in making glass. In the 1860's the formulas for American pressed glass changed & lead (See article on flint glass) began to be removed from the mix & manganese was substituted to make the glass brighter and to act as a stabilizer.
In time, it was noticed that this glass made without lead but containing manganese was found to turn a very light lavender if placed in a sunny window or otherwise exposed over time to (ultraviolet) rays of the sun.

There is Flint Glass also that began in 1600's (or before) and it's clear glass that contains powered flint. http://www.patternglass.com/KindFlint/flint.htm
Interesting. I stated 1880-1913 in my reply#63 but manganese could have been used earlier. I believe some type of arsenic is used today in clear glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread