Who is our bottle expert? Even More pics!!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We found a LOT of bottles in one of our storage units we bought this weekend. This is probably 1/4 of them. I am hoping someone is knowledgable enough to educate us a bit before David has the garage sale this weekend. I already told him he can't sell them all for a quarter each but I think he wants more info than that! lol There are tons of them in many different colors. Even purple! :D I kinda like purple! :P I can take as many pictures as needed if someone can help me with this. Thanks oh so very much!

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,663
  • DSC01412.JPG
    DSC01412.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • DSC01413.JPG
    DSC01413.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Re: Who is our bottle expert?

I've been into antique bottles since 1972. In my opinion the most valuable bottle (if it's not a reproduction) is the puce/red bottle with Nectar embossed on it. The green log cabin is most probably a reproduction. Its form looks to perfect. All you have to do to check values is go to ebay COMPLETED auctions. Simply type in a couple of the most important key words on the bottle and hit search. I would bet that almost every bottle you have will have been auctioned on ebay in the last two weeks. If the bottle does not show up in ebay's completed auctions, it may be rare.
At that point google the bottle by again using several of the key words on the bottle. Most bottles, such as those violin shaped ones have had their value driven into the ground by ebay.

I just did a search (both ebay and google) for the Nectar Of The Golden Life Bottle, and if yours is marked Wheaton on the bottom, it is just a modern reproduction that is worth about $10

By the way, last week I picked up a rare 1929 emerald green milk bottle at an estate sale. I just listed it on ebay last night. Below is the link to it if you want to check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10906&item=290170902499

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

bookfisher said:
I've been into antique bottles since 1972. In my opinion the most valuable bottle (if it's not a reproduction) is the puce/red bottle with Nectar embossed on it. The green log cabin is most probably a reproduction. Its form looks to perfect. All you have to do to check values is go to ebay COMPLETED auctions. Simply type in a couple of the most important key words on the bottle and hit search. I would bet that almost every bottle you have will have been auctioned on ebay in the last two weeks. If the bottle does not show up in ebay's completed auctions, it may be rare.
At that point google the bottle by again using several of the key words on the bottle. Most bottles, such as those violin shaped ones have had their value driven into the ground by ebay.

I just did a search (both ebay and google) for the Nectar Of The Golden Life Bottle, and if yours is marked Wheaton on the bottom, it is just a modern reproduction that is worth about $10

By the way, last week I picked up a rare 1929 emerald green milk bottle at an estate sale. I just listed it on ebay last night. Below is the link to it if you want to check it out.

thanks so very much for the info! I will check out the Nectar bottle and I looked at your auction. BEAUTIFUL! :D :D

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow you've got some choice old bottles there! They are getting hard to find these days, when I was a kid my brother and I found a lot but any more we just can't seem to find a good bottle dump. Everyone scarfed them up.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Cynangyl said:
bookfisher said:

thanks so very much for the info! I will check out the Nectar bottle and I looked at your auction. BEAUTIFUL! :D :D

It does not say Wheaton on the bottom of it but on the back it has a tree and says something...it is hard to read, the top word but just above the tree it says elixir then under the tree it says tree of life since 1880.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Here are 5 more of the bottles. I will have to do this a little at a time since I can't seem to find time to do much! lol The first bottle says Bromo-Seltzer Emerson Drug Co Maltimore MD, second has no markings, Third says Dr CEO W CLAYTON Dog Remedies Chicago, Fourth says 6 oz Mary T Goldman St Paul Minn, and the last says Thos F Duffy & Co 17 to 21 Market st Lowell, Mass

Attachments

• DSC01419.JPG
    DSC01419.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 709

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Cynangyl said:
Cynangyl said:
bookfisher said:

It does not say Wheaton on the bottom of it but on the back it has a tree and says something...it is hard to read, the top word but just above the tree it says elixir then under the tree it says tree of life since 1880.

Sorry, but even though it doesn't say Wheaton, I can confirm that is a what a previous poster said it is - a fantasy bottle, probably made in the 1970s.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Cynangyl said:
Here are 5 more of the bottles. I will have to do this a little at a time since I can't seem to find time to do much! lol The first bottle says Bromo-Seltzer Emerson Drug Co Maltimore MD, second has no markings, Third says Dr CEO W CLAYTON Dog Remedies Chicago, Fourth says 6 oz Mary T Goldman St Paul Minn, and the last says Thos F Duffy & Co 17 to 21 Market st Lowell, Mass

The bottles in this lot are worth around $10.00 to $20.00 a piece. In the hierarchy of bottle collecting clear bottles are at the bottom, and the more rare and beautiful colors (cobalt blue, teal, puce, yellows, reds, dark amethyst, ect) are at the top.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

thanks! You are an encyclopedia in your own right! I will try and get some of the rest of the colored bottles pics this evening. I gotta go drop off paychecks and a couple of other things before work! Thanks again!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Who is our bottle expert? More pics

Here are some more pics of bottles for those of you that wanted to see more. I can take close ups of those you request if need be. Lots of bottles but of course the purples are my favorites. David is planning on selling some at a bazaar in November so it is great you guys are all being so helpful in educating me! I sure love this place!! ~hugs~

Attachments

• DSC01429.JPG
    DSC01429.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC01430.JPG
    DSC01430.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC01431.JPG
    DSC01431.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC01428.JPG
    DSC01428.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC01427.JPG
    DSC01427.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC01426.JPG
    DSC01426.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC01425.JPG
    DSC01425.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC01424.JPG
    DSC01424.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 621
  • DSC01423.JPG
    DSC01423.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 634
  • DSC01422.JPG
    DSC01422.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC01421.JPG
    DSC01421.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC01420.JPG
    DSC01420.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 643
OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

and more :D Some of the purple ones in my kitchen! :D :D

Attachments

• DSC01432.JPG
    DSC01432.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 591
  • DSC01433.JPG
    DSC01433.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC01434.JPG
    DSC01434.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 553
  • DSC01435.JPG
    DSC01435.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC01436.JPG
    DSC01436.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 549

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Alright! You hit the jackpot! You now have one very cool bottle collection. That would of made me very excited!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

bean man said:
Alright! You hit the jackpot! You now have one very cool bottle collection. That would of made me very excited!

believe me....I am real excited! I am definitely keeping some of them! :D :D
TeddyB1967 said:
OMG I LOVE those purple ones ;D

I found a this link for the Bromo-Seltzer Emerson Drug Co. Great info on the company
http://www.scripophily.net/emdrugcomofb.html

One of these bottles sold on Ebay for $6.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/BROMO-SELTZER-E...154367253QQihZ001QQcategoryZ895QQcmdZViewItem

thanks so much pretty lady! I will check those out when I get home! You are awesome!! :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG, Cyn you really have some really nice bottles...love the purple ones too. My favorite of them all is the "hurricane" or kerosene lantern...it's a beauty.

;) RR

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

River Rat said:
OMG, Cyn you really have some really nice bottles...love the purple ones too. My favorite of them all is the "hurricane" or kerosene lantern...it's a beauty.

;) RR
'
That is my favorite too! :D :D

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

Not sure on the value, but that first bottle, the brown one with liver cure on it is identical to a bottle in the metal detecting store near my house and the date on the tag there says it is from the 1800s.

Nice find!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

starwarsblazer said:
Not sure on the value, but that first bottle, the brown one with liver cure on it is identical to a bottle in the metal detecting store near my house and the date on the tag there says it is from the 1800s.

Nice find!

Very cool! :D Thanks!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a nice collection of bottles ! The ones kinda shaped like a coffin,cant tell by the pic's but they are some of the better ones i beleve.there Ether bitters or gin bottles cant tell. now ya done got me wantin to go diggin ! :D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Cynangyl said:
and more :D Some of the purple ones in my kitchen! :D :D
Nice collection of bottles.
The purple bottles were originally clear. Between 1880 and 1913, the manganese used in clear glass production would cause the glass to turn “purple” in varying degrees when exposed to ultra-violet light for long periods of time. These types of bottles have become known as “sun-colored”, “purple” or “desert glass”. Old manganese bottles found in the desert will be purple. A box lined with tin-foil and some special ultra-violet lite can be used to hasten the process.

Here is an interesting article on the solarization of manganese glass:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2002/0974.html

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I love those ruby red beer bottles. 8) I believe they are Schlitz from the 50's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions