Yard gives old coin other than wheat!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched a park from 2:30- 3:30pm today found all trash. Searching my yard again at around 7:15pm until around 8:15pm. Found a little trash two nails and some foil. Switched to coin mode and found a 1865 2 cent piece in the same area I found a 1911 wheat. That is two old coins For my 1800's yard. I think my neighbor searched the place before we bought it. I just think it would have more coins. Not just old ones but modern ones too.

Here are some pics!!
HH!!

Attachments

• myhouse 001.jpg
    myhouse 001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,008
  • myhouse 003.jpg
    myhouse 003.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,004
  • myhouse 004.jpg
    myhouse 004.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 990
Upvote 0
N

Neptunus Rex

EXCELLENT TREASURE. I have never found a toosie. Soak the yard and try again or after prolonged rains for more good targets that may lie deeper. When soils are moist signals are enhanced with a "halo" effect which may produce a seated liberty dime of the same era. If this was at three inches and overlooked in earlier hunts I believe that more treasure awaits you in your yard. Have you already asked all the neighbors to try their yards???
CONGRATULATIONS
As a side note I'll be going to Ohio for vacation in August and plan to detect then so I'll be sure too post pics. I am to hunt schools, parks and the Ohio canal. Wish me luck. :o ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mud i would do what neptunus said,plus set your sensativity as high as you can, go in all metal mode and try again. go REAL slow and overlap your swings by at least a half if not by a third. if you think about it.....your coil sends a signal into the ground in an upside down cone shape. so the deeper an object is in the ground,the less likely it is that your coil passed directly over it.you probably have missed stuff and didnt even know it.if you draw a saw tooth design on a piece of paper, its easier to understand what im talking about. just imagine your coil sitting at the top of the wide part of the saw tooth, and it really comes into perspective.it will take forever to search a small area and you will need to dig EVERYTHING but.......its your yard and you have the time right? there will be times you dont find anything but remember.........when doing this type of detecting, your looking for quality not quantity! you can always hit the schoolyard if you want a lot of newer coins.also,listen for faint iffy signals. and old indian head at 6 or 7 inches will sound a lot different than a lincoln at 1 inch. use all metal mode to get a little more depth. just squeezing another half inch of depth out of your machine could make all the differance.lately ive been spending a lot of time trying to learn how to find old coins and this is some of the stuff ive learned. i am determined to start finding the old stuff!!(although i havnt found any yet!!) also ....another thing, research is key. go to the library and check out a few old books on your city/town/counties history. look for amusement parks,circuses,swimming holes. try to find out what people did for fun and where it was and what is there now. you cant find the old coins where they aint!!just thought i would pass along some the tips i have read about recently.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hollowpointred, wonder why the signal has to be cone shaped? I've been sitting here thinking about it and I think I have it figured out. Is it because the strongest signal is right in the middle of the coil and it goes deeper while the outside signals just peter out in less distance. Simplistic I realize but it makes sense. Wonder why with all this modern technology no one has invented a coil that is equal all the way across? JIM

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmileo said:
? Wonder why with all this modern technology no one has invented a coil that is equal all the way across?? ? JIM

Hay Jim.

They have.
It's called a "Double D Coil" the Sivereign Comes with one.

and I'm shure they make them for Whites & probably the other Top Name Detectors.

On the Sovereign the Signal goes into the ground like a Paint Brush, From Front to Back.

Kind of Like this. ( ll ) . I "THINK" all Double D coils do this.

Anyone ? am I correct ?

Jeff

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hi Jim sorry its taken so long to respond but i was having problems posting for a couple of days. you are a good guesser! i looked at the book where i read that info from and you are absolutely right.the strongest or most concentrated point of the electromagnetic field is at the center of the coil.as you move further out from the coils center,the electromagnetic field becomes more spread out or weaker.according to this information, no area is ever truly worked out because no one ever truly covers the ground completely.to do so you would half to spend an entire lifetime on an area the size of a football field! the book i have is called TIPS FOR THE TREASURE HUNTER by CLAY PROCTOR and PAUL MYERS. it has some interesting info in it. i am really interested in finding out more about this "double d coil". it sounds like some amazing technology! you could quickly and thouroughly cover a large area with one of those.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially with the 15" W.O.T. on the Sovereign. ;D

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone,

I want.... Hehe He said Double D...Huhu I want one of those!!

HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread