Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all the wrappers were the same, take 1 or 2 good examples of them in if you go back. This way they can see what the rolls looked like and odds are they may have more still in their vault. They will check the ones they still have and if they start seeing pennies galore, they just very well may reimburse your money. Hopefully they have the guys account number on the rolls. GL and i hope they treat you well, it really depends on your relationship with the bank.

This is your only hope. If you can convince your that bank they may have more in their vault, and they actually decide to look and find more you may get reimbursed. Other wise pretty SOL if you ask me.

OP
OP
Shay's here

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I am amazed and truly surprised but the bank took the rolls back and credited my account the full $200!!! I was in luck that there had been a guy behind the teller counter on Saturday who had seen me buying the coins and remembered me answering the teller's question as to why I was buying them, that guy turns out to be the manager. I sat down with him and explained my sad discovery and he was surprised and apologetic that it happened and without having to be persuaded or me even asking he said they would make it right with me and investigate it on their end. All the wrappers were the same and they were all from the same teller box so its likely the teller will remember who deposited them. Unfortunately no account number or any identifying marks anymore on rolls here but they would have had to have been a Wells account holder to deposit or exchange them. I SO hope they are able to track down who is it was and do something. Absolutely made my day :hello2:

There are no banks that I have found in the area that have a coin counting machine, including credit unions that I can buy bags from. So I can either buy boxes or pick up customer rolled and have really had great luck with the customer rolled dimes, found my first Merc last week!! But, on the down side of it all, it has made me consider not buying CWR anymore and sticking with bank rolled. I can accept a couple of foreign coins in a roll or being shorted a few but not what I nearly got stuck with.

So caveat emptor everyone, I hope it doesn't happen to you but if it does I hope you have the same good luck I did with the bank. Maybe being a girl helped but I'd like to think it was good karma :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thank sux -- but there are scammers and low lives galore out there sadly -- however if you got 8 -- $25 boxes of pennies and they were all like that -- the bank should be notified * that's a form of "bank theft" and is a serious crime , the jerk that did it can face serious time if caught * and I hope he is -- not hat many folks deposit $200 bucks or more worth on cents at once --so they might have a ideal on who to "watch /. check out"

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
if they have a camera, they will get him. then again wells fargo is pretty bare-bones when it comes to brick and mortar banking, seeing they make 99% of their money these days off mortgaging and credit card fees, so even if they did have cameras you have a chance that they are whack (fake). The fact that they gave you the $200 as simple as that, shows the actual physical banking situation to them is akin to fooling around with play money.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad you got reimbursed. I'm sure the bank was happy to know about this, since this could go unnoticed many more times.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I'm thankful op was made whole and the bank took the hit. After commenting several times on this thread today, I stopped into one of my dump banks only to be told that a customer complained of finding a penny in a dime roll. With out directly accusing me the teller made clear she had passed out the dimes from the top of her box, which is where she had put my coins. Felt like I was,being threatened with some kind of bank sanction if it happened again and that they would be watching me. I got mad and told them there is no way a,Pennie was in one of my dime rolls. That can't happen by mistake, it's an on purpose scam. I left still angry and as I slowly cooled down it occurred to me what could have actually happened. Mixed into some of my rolls are a certain amount of darkened discolored dimes that people could mistake for pennies. I sometimes see this when searching cwr of cents. Blackened, discolored dimes mixed into, acent rollł. I think someone spotted a dirty dime and called it a cent.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shay's here, Glad to see you got reimbursed and it wasn't a big hassle. Hopefully they will remember who did this or view their video tapes, if they have any, to find the culprit. Hopefully they take the position that they don't want to be screwed over or make it look like they are screwing their customers over and this will give them the desire to fully investigate, or it could take the turn that they feel 200 dollars isn't worth their time, lets hope for the first one =) Maybe a good time to return to them with a dozen cookies, it could be a great way to advance your relationship with that bank.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Mixed into some of my rolls are a certain amount of darkened discolored dimes that people could mistake for pennies. I sometimes see this when searching cwr of cents. Blackened, discolored dimes mixed into, acent rollł. I think someone spotted a dirty dime and called it a cent.

To avoid that, I always throw it in a tumbler, or just used a grill brush when I didn't have a tumbler. Problem solved.:)

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they have a camera, they will get him. then again wells fargo is pretty bare-bones when it comes to brick and mortar banking, seeing they make 99% of their money these days off mortgaging and credit card fees, so even if they did have cameras you have a chance that they are whack (fake). The fact that they gave you the $200 as simple as that, shows the actual physical banking situation to them is akin to fooling around with play money.

There is no chance the cameras are fake. Banks are required by law to have cameras.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Good deal. Most banks and personnel at them are cool and will make things right. Once in a while you do get that teller that is just an !@#$!$. Part of the deal of CRH and the chances we all take. It helps to have a thick skin if you want to CRH and be a bit crazy. Funny but it seems I am the one that is usually making things right with the banks when they miscount the money they are handing back to me which seems to always put me in a good standing with the bank and leads to great service even if I don't have an account...

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
Shay's here

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw this article in my local news site tonight. I bet it's the same guy, same MO and only about 25 miles from the bank where I had purchased the $200 dime rolls a few weeks ago. I am going to forward the link to the cool bank manager at Wells Fargo who helped me out.

Police Arrest Man Who Allegedly Stole $65 In Dimes From Bank Of America-
SAUSALITO (CBS SF) — Police in Sausalito arrested a San Francisco man who allegedly robbed a bank on Friday.
Carl Bellenir, 49, allegedly walked into the Bank of America at 750 Bridgeway at about 10:25 a.m. and went to a teller looking to cash in $65 in rolled dimes, police said.
Prior to giving Bellenir the money, the teller inspected the rolls. However, after he had gone, the teller broke open a roll and found it was pennies flanked with dimes, according to police.
As the teller was giving officers her report of the crime, she spotted Bellenir walking on the sidewalk, entering a Wells Fargo Bank, police said.
Officers were able to contact Bellenir, who told police he works at the Sizzler restaurant in San Leandro and his boss paid him $65 in dimes. The restaurant denied Bellenir is an employee there, police said.
After talking with Bellenir, police determined he went into the bank with the intent to steal money, according to police.
Police said Bellenir got the pennies, dimes and empty paper coin rolls at the Wells Fargo Bank and used them at the Bank of America.
He then obtained another $10 in pennies when he was seen leaving the Wells Fargo.
He was arrested and booked into Marin County Jail on suspicion of commercial robbery.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you cant get your money back its worth bringing up to the bank. I would hope the branch manager would look into it and not brush it off. Whoever did that may be doing it to other banks in the area. Unless he's an idiot he probably wont be back at that branch for a while. But at least he might be able to get the description out.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a "yay" for Shay.
Hopefully your bank will coordinate with the police on the timetable on when that original transaction was made ($200 in pennies should be easy to remember) and view the footage to see if he's the same guy.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet he ends up doing some time for his tiny scam. Banks like to prosecute.

OP
OP
Shay's here

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that jackass does a lot of time for that! Prosecute away. I cant wait to contact the bank on Tuesday and see if they had heard about it and if they were able to identify the guy who stole the $200 from them.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
One thing you should do is learn to tell what size coin roll you have base on feel. I usually pull out a few random dime rolls as I'm driving away and check to see if there's any silver, so I can get more right away if I hit a vein. I usually get a mix of denominations, and pull out the dime rolls by feel alone. Had your situation happened to me, I would have noticed, and been able to go back and straighten it out immediately.

Glad everything worked out for you! Good call contacting the bank and letting them know about the other robbery. That will go far in cementing your relationship with the manager.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread