1971 silver half dollars?

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
John-117 said:
Hi Everybody, I'm researching silver half dollars and i have read that some 1971 Kennedy halves contained silver, but i can not find anything to support what i read. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
The redbook states that a few of the 1971-D and 1977-D halves where struck in silver clad by error page 196 in my 2007 redbook.
Best Regards, Ray

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
I have seen a LOT of 1971 Kennedy's doing CRH, but no silver. :-\
OH NO! I know I have seen 1971's that had the look of silver/clad but the date was '71 so into the returns they went. (or maybe they were just dirty & gray)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
WHAT????

oh no.....I had a 1971 silver last week.

The obverse did not particularly appear silver-ish, but the edge was black and chrome....when I scanned the edges of the halves in the roll, I thought for sure it was silver....then I saw the date, and I thought that someone had colored the edge with a magic marker to fool coin roll hunters....though that notion sounded ridiculous, so I decided it just somehow had dark edges.

Damn! I wish I had known that last week....this means my Invasion of the Green Kennedys was not a skunk box after all!!

:(

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
71-Ds 302 million minted. 77-Ds 31 million minted. They may have let a couple of hundred or at most a couple of thousand silver clad errors slip through and that was 30 years ago. I don't doubt that one may show up on occasion but don't expect one in every box. Look how few 70-Ds turn up with a mintage of 2 million.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread