Whats the most valuable coin YOUVE ever discovered?

What was it's value? (in US dollars)

• Total voters

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What's the most valuable coin YOU'VE ever discovered?

Evolution said:
Michigan Badger said:
This is my best find.

This is a genuine Spanish 8 reale coin with mint error.

Bought it from a dealer in Spain who thought it was a reject so he sold it to me for about 26 EUR! ;D

Yes, it's genuine.

It may be worth more than TreasureNet ;D
Just how much is that puppy worth Michigan? I'll be waiting for an answer while I look up your address and try to find my black ski mask. Just kidding. Seriously that is one incredible coin you have there. Congratulations on finding it.

LOL! I don't know what it's worth. Maybe not much. I just get a kick out of it.

The coin has beautiful detail except for the missing digit and letters. Something must have fouled the die.

The thing I like best is I've never seen another like it. Maybe a "one of a kind"??? Who knows?

At any rate it's fun.

Badger

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a couple IHs

So far I've found an 1866 IH that's EF45 with AU details and not too long after that I got an 1868 IH that's borderline EF45. They'd each be in the $160 ~ $180 range if they weren't dug.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1929 wheaty worth .15 cents...LOL
62 quarter 2.50
37 dime 3.00

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

Most of my valuable coins only go for about $ 300.00 max, some a lot less

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurediver said:
Found this coin on the Dutch pirate shipwreck "Utrecht" that sank in 1648 during a battle with a Portuguese Galleon. The last time this kind of coin was sold at an auction it sold for US$ 25,000
Treasurediver
that is the sweetest coin i have ever seen

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid

Not detecting--1918/17 Standing Liberty Quarter , forty years ago. Just had it graded by PCGSW about two years ago at AU50, still have to determine full head or not. ??? ??? In the 10,000 to 14,00 dollar range.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1875 twenty dollar gold, found in the old dump at leadville Colorado. You can read about it in a 1991 "treasure" magazine. Worth about $1000.00 right now. Found a diamond ring worth 4000.00...Kane23

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

I dug a 1868 $10 gold coin on St. Patrick's day 2007. I had it appraised by a local coin dealer ~ graded it EF and said it's got a retail value of about $1000.00.

On this same property I ended up digging another gold coin! a 1910-S $10 gold piece! This one isn't as valuable ~ it's VF and worth about $450.00

Attachments

• March17-2007-1868GOLDobv.jpg
    March17-2007-1868GOLDobv.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,610
  • March17-2007-1868GOLDobv.jpg
    March17-2007-1868GOLDobv.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,584

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The most valuable coins I've ever found were six modern day quarters. I'll tell you why. I took my two boys { at the time they were 8 and 6 } metal detecting on the beach. It was hot out that day and by the time we walked about 3/4 mile down the beach it was scorching. They became very thirsty but we still had the 3/4 mile walk back and I forgot to bring water bottles. Wouldn't ya know it there is a drink machine at the concession behind us. Wait, I didn't bring cash with me !! What I did have in my pocket though, were 6 quarters we found along the way on the beach just enough to get them a bottle of water each !

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

Found 5 Euro´s a while back, smokes were all gone, and just enough to buy a new pack. Aren´t we detectorists lucky sometimes LOL

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

here's my walker, not much but its the best yet....

Attachments

• MVC-029F.JPG
    MVC-029F.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 5,305
  • MVC-025F.JPG
    MVC-025F.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,788
  • MVC-029F.JPG
    MVC-029F.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,651
  • MVC-025F.JPG
    MVC-025F.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,590

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California

Since I don't metal detect, my finds have been by watching only.

A couple of years ago I found two dimes on a sidewalk, one was a 1955 (silver).

Of course my best street find wasn't a coin but a gold Scientology membership pin.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

lonewolfe said:
Here's mine,

found in northen MI approx. 7 or 8 yrs ago at 10 inches+ down while detecting an old church yard.

Value at time found = $3500.00

Value now = $4500.00 to $5500.00

Sold it 2.5 yrs ago. Kept pics of it.

I hate to say this, but when I first started detecting in the mid 80's I was out for coins only and all I had was me, no others around to help and no knowledge of many types of coins. I found a token in Youngstown, NY that looks just like that bar cent, but in worse condition and it was thrown in a box I kept buttons, buckles, bullets, and other interesting items in. When I got divorced, she threw that box away and all the items were gone. Most of these items were found in North Carolina, Virginia, and New York. I have seen buttons posted here that I found out were quite valuable, along with what I think was that Bar Cent. Shame I didn't know more and that I didn't have the box of goodies with me. Congrats on a great coin!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, you guys got some nice coins. I haven't had mine graded or anything like that but I dug a 1944 Mercury dime that has all the lines on the reverse but it has a blue color, and a 1918 wheatie that looks real good. I don't know if I could part with a valuable coin that I dug so I just keep lookin. Some of you guys have hit some beautiful coins. You have my greatest respect and congratulations. :thumbsup:

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

I found a 1838 o halfdime and 1858 s at an old building site neither one in great shape because they were in a fire but I also found two 1932 s washington quarters in my wifes grandmothers things when we were going through boxes of jewelry and other things that we were storing for my mother-inlaw. There was lots of old coins but thos 32 s's were the most valuable.
Also my brother found an 1862 2o d. gold double eagle in a field while changing irrigation pipe and it looked so good that the coin dealer I went to thought it might be a counterfit(but then he offered 400 dollars for it). The next year the kid he was working with found an 1863 20 d. gold in the same area and in the same shape.
I thought that was pretty cool.
K. smith

mercury

Greenie
Oct 9, 2007

actually i haven't discovered anything valuable yet, but i recently read that an egyptian couple accidentlly found a us double eagle coin that costs $1.5 million. the couple found this coin while cleaning their room..

us_double_eagle_gold_coin.jpg

Carver

Dec 19, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
M6

1885 V nickel,,,, THE key date of Vs,,,,,,, $400

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread