This is reality guys and girls

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a "newb" here but have been reading/looking at this site for a year or so. Great stuff on here. I in general don't like change. i guess that go's with getting older, we all remember the good ol days. But everything changes, you deal with it and you move forward. Of course some members will leave, and new ones will join. To the older members that feel the need to leave I say your experience will be missed on here and thank you for your posts. You will live on through them on this site. Maybe instead of leaving you could tell them what it is about the changes that you don't like and they might be able to make this a better site through your suggestions. They do after all have a vested interest in seeing this site flourish. I know i will be here, turning green with envy at all the great finds posted, just waiting for my turn to post one. Happy trails everyone.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba65,

I definitely understand your concerns and I'd love to help address them and hopefully fix them. But can you be more specific with what in particular you don't like or is harder/more confusing?
Well for example the old forum was very easy to navigate, didn't have to worry about any of this settings crap to change this and change that. Another thing is this is suppose tobe a family site and my son used to look at it with me , but not with all the crap ads that pop up about sexy chicks that live 4 miles from me, I personally am quite appalled about that fact alone. I also don't give a crap about Goggle and I don't want there crap shoved in my face everytime I want to look at something. But sadly the one thing you can't change at all is many of the old timers who are very knowledgeable are leaving the site because this switch that was made. So like I have said It is a totally new forum so take down your little sub heading under treasure net that it is the original treasure net, that is false advertising. Things have to change , BUT REMEMBER not all changes are for the better. I have also said that people that give there opinions that this site is horrible, they are stating the fact, but yet they get knocked by people who have posted seven times. Just like some that love the new change and state that is are stating fact too. Well that is it for now there is much more to say, but i feal this post is long enough. Oh one more thing the stupid site log me out while I was typing this and when I went to post it, the message said i don't have the authority to post it, give me a break. Where is the button that says keep me logged in until I chose to log out.

I haven't gotten mad at anyone for posting negative things about the site. We take the criticism and try to use it to improve the site. To address your concerns.

1. The old site had Google Adsense on it. That's the same program we are running now. However it didn't show image ads previously and now it does. The ads are based on what the page is discussing and what you are browsing through google (ie, searches you've preformed, other sites you are on that also run adsense) -- so the ads are targeted to each individual and the content. If someone starts talking about the type of ads you are talking about, they are going to show up on the page. Because Google scans the page and puts ads relevant to what the page is about -- so the more everyone keeps talking about it, the more those ads are going to show up. Same thing happened on the old site, just via text and not images.

2. I would love to make this site easier to navigate -- but you've not given me any particular thing I can even start to look at. Just saying the old site was easier doesn't help me. Someone previously said they had a grid layout -- and the only difference I can spot is that the old site put the thread starter into a separate column.

3. When you log in there should be a check box next to your username and password entry area. It should either be labeled 'Save' or 'Remember Me" -- checking this box should make sure you don't get logged out until you are ready to log out... even if it's for weeks.

Hope this helps.
If you could get the thread starter in its own column, or switch it with Last Post by, I could live with this new format. Having it clusterd with the title and date is the biggest problem I have. I think when people say the old format was easier to view, this is what they are talking about. They need to be in columns like the Last Post by. Thanks.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't get it, before there was no need to adjust all these settings crap just to look at a post. Second i don't save my password any time in anyplace I go, very easy to hack. Third I don't use google at all and why should i have them tracking what i do. I know it is all about the money and that is the true feeling I get. It is more complicated then the old format and maybe you should just face the facts that it is. I notice you also try to act like this is the same site as it was before , but it is not and all you amin and mods should admit to that also. It is new and very differant. You ask for particulars the whole thing is very confusing to me and yet the first day on the old site i was getting the whole thing. So there is alot bigger of learning curve here now. I also do notice that you did not respond back that you will make it a family site again and not have the ads pop up that are not family friendly.

Sorry Bubba, I'm not going to agree with you on a lot of the points. It is the same site. The people are what makes a site. That's why we are trying to make what the people want happen. The old software is gone. I'm sorry. I didn't make the old software. I didn't make it insecure, and I couldn't make it secure. I wasn't around when the old software slowly got outdated and not upgraded. We were here to fix the problems -- some may say that the old site "wasn't broke" so "why fix it" but the old site was broke. It just hadn't broken completely down yet.

As far as making the site family friendly, we are absolutely committed to doing that. The old site had the same exact ads on it. In fact, I have a screenshot here of the Google Adsense on the old site (the same exact program we run here) with an ad for Dating Aztec Girls and I will attach it.

No one ever complained about that. However, since it's on the new site -- it causes an uproar because people are looking for things to point out. I understand that. But the reality is it was there before. Ads were being targeted based on your searches and browsing before. The only difference is that we are showing the Google Adsense image ads. We've disabled that for now. We can also filter the URL of the bad ads if only people give us the URL that shows up in the ad. We've filtered a number of them from ever showing up already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-24 at 10.29.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-24 at 10.29.41 AM.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 151

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could get the thread starter in its own column, or switch it with Last Post by, I could live with this new format. Having it clusterd with the title and date is the biggest problem I have. I think when people say the old format was easier to view, this is what they are talking about. They need to be in columns like the Last Post by. Thanks.

I definitely think we can get this done. Give us a couple of days during the work week.... maybe Wednesday? I think we can do this and let each user pick if they want it this way or that way so everyone can have it exactly the way they want!

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John was that the right screen shot??

Yup. If you take a look at the Google Adsense ad in the right hand column you'll see a Dating Aztec Girls ad. That's from the old site, using the old adcode that the old site ran for years...

ottor

Mar 1, 2012
So. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relative. I belong to at least 8 other forums, and most use this format, so it's now easier for me to navigate than it was when I first signed up (very recently, I might add)...

"Somebody Moved my Cheese" by Spencer Johnson ...... a great book regarding 'change' in general.

Thinking back on why you joined this forum, the information that you've benefited from in your browsing, the friends made - interacting with others around the world with like interests ..... is that now no longer relavent because you dont' like the "Brown" background color?

Rick

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't get it, before there was no need to adjust all these settings crap just to look at a post. Second i don't save my password any time in anyplace I go, very easy to hack. Third I don't use google at all and why should i have them tracking what i do. I know it is all about the money and that is the true feeling I get. It is more complicated then the old format and maybe you should just face the facts that it is. I notice you also try to act like this is the same site as it was before , but it is not and all you amin and mods should admit to that also. It is new and very differant. You ask for particulars the whole thing is very confusing to me and yet the first day on the old site i was getting the whole thing. So there is alot bigger of learning curve here now. I also do notice that you did not respond back that you will make it a family site again and not have the ads pop up that are not family friendly.

Sorry Bubba, I'm not going to agree with you on a lot of the points. It is the same site. The people are what makes a site. That's why we are trying to make what the people want happen. The old software is gone. I'm sorry. I didn't make the old software. I didn't make it insecure, and I couldn't make it secure. I wasn't around when the old software slowly got outdated and not upgraded. We were here to fix the problems -- some may say that the old site "wasn't broke" so "why fix it" but the old site was broke. It just hadn't broken completely down yet.

As far as making the site family friendly, we are absolutely committed to doing that. The old site had the same exact ads on it. In fact, I have a screenshot here of the Google Adsense on the old site (the same exact program we run here) with an ad for Dating Aztec Girls and I will attach it.

No one ever complained about that. However, since it's on the new site -- it causes an uproar because people are looking for things to point out. I understand that. But the reality is it was there before. Ads were being targeted based on your searches and browsing before. The only difference is that we are showing the Google Adsense image ads. We've disabled that for now. We can also filter the URL of the bad ads if only people give us the URL that shows up in the ad. We've filtered a number of them from ever showing up already.

Well maybe that's true about the add, but in all my thousands of posts I have never, and I mean not a single time noticed that add on the old T-net. So if it was there, fair enough, and all that says is the adds are MUCH more in your face here. Personally I don't get offended easy, and don't care, but saying they were on the old site too is definitely not a good defense because they definitely flew much lower on the radar.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
change is good! This +1

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I definitely think we can get this done. Give us a couple of days during the work week.... maybe Wednesday? I think we can do this and let each user pick if they want it this way or that way so everyone can have it exactly the way they want!
Thanks John...Im hanging in here...no more negative comments from me, Im going to support you guys...I see that you all are trying hard to make everyone happy and that has got to be almost overwhelming.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relative. I belong to at least 8 other forums, and most use this format, so it's now easier for me to navigate than it was when I first signed up (very recently, I might add)...

"Somebody Moved my Cheese" by Spencer Johnson ...... a great book regarding 'change' in general.

Thinking back on why you joined this forum, the information that you've benefited from in your browsing, the friends made - interacting with others around the world with like interests ..... is that now no longer relavent because you dont' like the "Brown" background color?

Rick

Rick, most new people still don't get it, for most of us long time members what got us to keep coming back here when we found it was the ease of navigation. The original TreasureNet was the easiest of all the treasure websites to navigate and see what was there, it was different then all the others and that made it unique, being like all the others does not make it unique.

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the "brown" background............ If you go to a unique neighborhood bar someone told you about and have a drink a couple times for a couple weeks, are you going to miss it when it is suddendly tored down and a different one is built, no, but if you have been going to that same bar every single day for many years on end and it is suddendly tore down, are you going to miss it.....You bet your butt you will..

ottor

Mar 1, 2012
So. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick

Rick, most new people still don't get it, for most of us long time members what got us to keep coming back here when we found it was the ease of navigation. The original TreasureNet was the easiest of all the treasure websites to navigate and see what was there, it was different then all the others and that made it unique, being like all the others does not make it unique.

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the "brown" background............ If you go to a unique neighborhood bar someone told you about and have a drink a couple times for a couple weeks, are you going to miss it when it is suddendly tored down and a different one is built, no, but if you have been going to that same bar every single day for many years on end and it is suddendly tore down, are you going to miss it.....You bet your butt you will..

Hi TH..

I do understand "change" is difficult, not only within this forum, but in everyday life also.. but isn't it really the Big Things that count in the end? I just thought all the talk about people leaving was a little silly. But, perhaps you're right.. I'm thinking like a newbie who hasn't had the honor of being here for many years ..

Either way, I'm gonna have fun talking MD talk with you guys for a long time....

r

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey it looks like scrambled eggs I dont know where to focus at

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick

Hi TH..

I do understand "change" is difficult, not only within this forum, but in everyday life also.. but isn't it really the Big Things that count in the end? I just thought all the talk about people leaving was a little silly. But, perhaps you're right.. I'm thinking like a newbie who hasn't had the honor of being here for many years ..

Either way, I'm gonna have fun talking MD talk with you guys for a long time....

r

Rick, thanks for trying to see it from our perspective, it is frustrating when some say just get use to it, its not big deal, when to those of us who have been here many years it is a big deal....

By the way I never did get to tell you "Welcome to TreasureNet."

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks John...Im hanging in here...no more negative comments from me, Im going to support you guys...I see that you all are trying hard to make everyone happy and that has got to be almost overwhelming.

It won't ever be perfect but I feel confident that if we stick with it, give it everything we have, that we can get it close enough to make MOST everyone happy ;)

OP
OP
Bubba65

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

It won't ever be perfect but I feel confident that if we stick with it, give it everything we have, that we can get it close enough to make MOST everyone happy ;)

Hey John Droid. You are incorrect to say it is not new. Many of the oldtimers don't like it and either leaving all together or changing how much time they spend on the site. If it was all about the people you wouldn't have pulled the rug out from under them. But you said it had to be done for all the reasons you say.. About the ads Iron Patch hit the nail on the head, These ads smack you right in the face. I mean where the banner used to be you see an ad for GOOGLE. So you would be wise to have them show up some where else . I know i see you guys said you are trying to work on the main page, but what makes it hard is it reads like a Chinese Menu, very busy.

Also I have posted my first pics in post on the todays forum, it took a bit to figure out, but i got it. Another thing when you go to a forum like todays forum each seperate post seems very small font and they all blend together and don't stand out like they should. Well I am plugging along, don't know if I will use it much, but at least I am trying.

Like I said above and many will agree with a good amount of the old timers leaving or changing their habits on here, it is a new site with a differant feel and I am sure many others will agree with me on that. For example you go hunting and find an awesome colonial copper and posted it. You were guaranteed that Hogge, Iron Patch, Don are many other knowledgeable members will be along to help id it and you could be your life on it they would come around to help. Now you can't do that because many of them are not happy. Some will still be around but not like it used to be.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a member here for about two years. In that time I have seen some older members leave for various reasons and I have seen a lot more new ones join up.
It will take some getting used to but, to me, there is no better site for getting help in Iding relics and just getting a good education on relic hunting in general.
I wonder if we started a new thread just to address the questions and concerns would help all of us? I already have one question I would like an answer to. That is, how do I tell what threads I have replied to? The old site had a check mark next to the thread title but I don't see anything on the new one.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, the check mark showed up on this thread. Maybe they were lost when the new format began.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a member here for about two years. In that time I have seen some older members leave for various reasons and I have seen a lot more new ones join up.
It will take some getting used to but, to me, there is no better site for getting help in Iding relics and just getting a good education on relic hunting in general.
I wonder if we started a new thread just to address the questions and concerns would help all of us? I already have one question I would like an answer to. That is, how do I tell what threads I have replied to? The old site had a check mark next to the thread title but I don't see anything on the new one.

You can also go up to your settings button at the top and it will show you all the post you have participated in.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I see it the old format could have been run on a new server. Windows 7 can run Windows XP programs right? This new format is too complicated. Photos don't post in the order you want, The forum's clock is off by 8 hours. Most will leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread