Forum Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
Is this a treasure forum or a political forum?
I am all for alternate discussions, but to be honest I am quickly growing tired of the second amendment debate happening here.
Are there any other treasure hunting forums without all the political rhetoric?
--Doodle Bug

"The Earth is saturated with history, all we need to do is extract it." - Doodle Bug

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I am all for alternate discussions, but to be honest I am quickly growing tired of the second amendment debate happening here.
--Doodle Bug

Depends... If you're viewing the "General Discussion" section of TN, we may talk about moonshine. guns, black panthers, or what ever... start a new subject.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and you don't have to read the ones you don't like.
I'm sure when the weather gets better there will be less theoretical talk and more actual finds

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In an answer to your question..."No!":sad1:

I think the "Sisters of the Poor" have a forum, wait a minute, with all the crime around us, they now have a thread on self-defense. So, still, No!:sad5:

I guess it's just the society that we ALL have helped to create.:icon_scratch:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
DB, I'm pro gun, own several guns including the now legislated for extinction AR15, and I'm offended at some of the stuff i'm seeing on here. I have no problem on passing on the politcal threads , but when the message comes in the form of offensive avatars there is no way to avoid them. So, even though T-Net is a business and as such it's main product, this forum, is supposed to be welcoming to all, it's not because the mods are among those expressing their political beliefs here.

I suppose there is line someplace they may draw. My general impression is that line gets drawn much more quickly on subjects that don't line up with the mods own beliefs.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to click on the "Active Topics" button at the top to see what is going on. However, if you click on the "Fourms" button you can select one type of thread, such as "Metal Detecting" and the discussion is limited to that area. When in the Active Forum area I just ignore many of the topics.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
What is an "offensive avatar"?

Avatars that evoke emotions on hot button issues. Or, avatars that are clearly sending a political or religious message. Some avatars could be considered insensitive in the context of the times. Unlike threads that one might find offensive, there is no avoiding the avatars. Which is exactly why avatars are used as banners.

What avatars am I talking about? You'll know one if you see it.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Avatars that evoke emotions on hot button issues. Or, avatars that are clearly sending a political or religious message. Some avatars could be considered insensitive in the context of the times. Unlike threads that one might find offensive, there is no avoiding the avatars. Which is exactly why avatars are used as banners.

What avatars am I talking about? You'll know one if you see it.

Is my avatar OK? Some people like like the Confederate Battle Flag which is part of my avatar?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Is my avatar OK? Some people like like the Confederate Battle Flag which is part of my avatar?

Your avatar is controversial and you already know that. Personally, I'm not offended by it, but i can see where some would be.

What I don't understand is why you would pick a controversial symbol as an avatar on a hobby forum? Are you against the United States or just proud of your Southern Heritage? Are you racist, a Neo Nazi or just a good ole boy proud to be born and raised in Virginia? Without knowing you there is no way to know. Your avatar sends many messages.

For me, I don't even use an avatar. I picked from the family friendly avatars available in the pull down menu. I don't use this place to support my political and religious beliefs. This place is for fun and relaxation. There are other places to fly the flag.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
... Your avatar is fine with me as a MATTER OF FACT,,,, Any avatar is fine with me...... even my avatar some would not like........ It just seems that these days every one has problems with something....... If they don't like it you should not do it.............but if they like something you should do it there way.............

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Your avatar is controversial and you already know that. Personally, I'm not offended by it, but i can see where some would be.

What I don't understand is why you would pick a controversial symbol as an avatar on a hobby forum? Are you against the United States or just proud of your Southern Heritage? Are you racist, a Neo Nazi or just a good ole boy proud to be born and raised in Virginia? Without knowing you there is no way to know. Your avatar sends many messages.

For me, I don't even use an avatar. I picked from the family friendly avatars available in the pull down menu. I don't use this place to support my political and religious beliefs. This place is for fun and relaxation. There are other places to fly the flag.

People are quick to judge without knowing the facts. I guess that's human nature?
I use the same avatar on several of the forums where I'm a member... and have received no negative comments.
I would think someone living in Florida wouldn't pay notice to the flag? This makes me wonder that maybe you're not from the South.. or maybe African American?

Well let's take a closer look at my avatar...

southcross.jpg

It is a picture of the Southern Cross Of Honor. A military honor presented to Confederate military personnel and veterans.
The name on the top bar of the cross is the same as my last name.. "BRANTLEY".
My family during the 1860's lived in Hancock County, Georgia. My Great Grandfather, his brother, and nephew were in the army...
Army of Northern Virgina under Robert E. Lee.

575254_2706972692118_1090767900_n.jpg

Just wondering...

I think just about everyone has seen the movie "Rambo"... did you know a John Rambo died in Vietnam and his name is on the "Wall" of the Vietnam Memorial?
But, there is another name there under his which I thought was odd that has my last name too. I made it back home... my cousin didn't.

johnrambo.jpg

Maybe I should have used it as my avatar? No, that war had controversy too.

Or maybe this one...

560234_2707138856272_1391395617_n.jpg

James A. Brantley - American Revolutionary War

Are you starting to get the message now?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
People are quick to judge without knowing the facts. I guess that's human nature?
I use the same avatar on several of the forums where I'm a member... and have received no negative comments.
I would think someone living in Florida wouldn't pay notice to the flag? This makes me wonder that maybe you're not from the South.. or maybe African American?

Well let's take a closer look at my avatar...

View attachment 748079

It is a picture of the Southern Cross Of Honor. A military honor presented to Confederate military personnel and veterans.
The name on the top bar of the cross is the same as my last name.. "BRANTLEY".
My family during the 1860's lived in Hancock County, Georgia. My Great Grandfather, his brother, and nephew were in the army...
Army of Northern Virgina under Robert E. Lee.

View attachment 748097

Just wondering...

I think just about everyone has seen the movie "Rambo"... did you know a John Rambo died in Vietnam and his name is on the "Wall" of the Vietnam Memorial?
But, there is another name there under his which I thought was odd that has my last name too. I made it back home... my cousin didn't.

View attachment 748134

Maybe I should have used it as my avatar? No, that war had controversy too.

Or maybe this one...

View attachment 748145

James A. Brantley - American Revolutionary War

Are you starting to get the message now?

Oh, i got the message loud and clear. But only because you explained it. Which goes to my point, why use an avatar that can send a mixed message on a hobby forum?

Interesting that you believe i must be African American to say what i have about your Avatar. What? Only a black person would say that the battle flag is a controversial symbol?

As for Florida, born and raised there. Thus the screen name Native Floridian. Lived on a ranch in SW Florida with a bunch of Crackers!!! (look it up before you make another wrong assumption)

BTW, I didn't pick your avatar out, you asked my opinion.

Last edited:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
... Your avatar is fine with me as a MATTER OF FACT,,,, Any avatar is fine with me...... even my avatar some would not like........ It just seems that these days every one has problems with something....... If they don't like it you should not do it.............but if they like something you should do it there way.............

Keppy...

I've always liked your avatar! Reminds me of three things I like... "Rum"... "Caribbean"... and.. uh... must be getting old? .. forgot the last one.:laughing7:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posters and sections of the forum can be put on ignore. Avatars can also be turned off

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People will always find something to whine about. One of the great things about forums such as this is the absolute ease of NOT visiting certain sections. It's like people that complain because it hurts when they punch themselves in the face. Here's a hint...stop punching yourself in the face. If you don't like it don't do it. If you don't like certain sections of the forum, don't go there. This thread is a perfect example of the "if I don't like it nobody should be able to do it" mentality of society today. Lame.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, i got the message loud and clear. But only because you explained it. Which goes to my point, why use an avatar that can send a mixed message on a hobby forum?

Interesting that you believe i must be African American to say what i have about your Avatar. What? Only a black person would say that the battle flag is a controversial symbol?

As for Florida, born and raised there. Thus the screen name Native Floridian. Lived on a ranch in SW Florida with a bunch of Crackers!!! (look it up before you make another wrong assumption)

BTW, I didn't pick your avatar out, you asked my opinion.
9, A little piece of trivia for those that are unaware.... The stars and bars was originaly the south's NAVY flag. When the wind is not blowing, the original Confederate flag looked so much like the union flag that the south changed to the stars and bars to avoid confusion. TTC

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--Doodle Bug

"The Earth is saturated with history, all we need to do is extract it." - Doodle Bug

Hey Doodle Bug. Welcome first of all. To answer your question it is a treasure hunting web site. If you had been here some time ago you would have found that many subjects spilled over into the wrong sections. As the web site kept getting bigger they added more sections to contain certain topics. The goal is to stay family friendly and we have many young members. I am sure there are topics that do not appeal to many but you can just avoid those areas. The 2nd amendment section which is a hot topic in America and to keep it from spilling into other sections it was separated out. But even there the rules of the site apply. The moderators are under Administraction. We do not make rules we only try to help and keep things on track and we work for free. You can block users and block sections. We offer a whole lot for free and is why we are the worlds largest. I have learned much here and you will find the best in what they do and those people will be hunting and finding treasure and posting their finds. Some just enjoy the journey and research and that is all good too. If you see anything that seems inappropriate please hit the report button help us out and we will get to it as fast as we can. We appreciate the help when dealing with thousands of post a day. I hope this helps.
Happy Hunting
TnMtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread