Info needed on old Whites Coinmaster 6000/D

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
My father aquired this a few years ago in a trade, not sure how old it is. The owners manual is dated 1979. I have been wanting to get into MDing and was about to buy a new Ace 250 when I remembered my dad having this one. How would this old Whites compare to an Ace 250? Also it is missing a section of pole, battery pack and charger is also missing. Are parts still available for this older model? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• detector 001.jpg
    detector 001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3,485
  • detector 002.jpg
    detector 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,978
  • detector 003.jpg
    detector 003.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 867

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In it's day it was a fine detector. Now days it is very outdated, heavy and parts may not be available. You could contact Whites to see if they could repair it, but if I were you I would get a newer model.

OP
OP
Ohio_Doug

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Sandman
Thanks for the reply, really the only thing I need for it is a pole section. I put batteries in it and it seems to work fine other than a couple knobs are really hard to turn (easy fix). So I don't think it needs much money put into it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You should still be able to find some parts. They made a battery pack that if memory serves correctly, used 4 C cells. It was still a good machine that gave fair depth (up to 5-6") but it'd wear your elbow out after a while and the closed coil would really float w/o some kind of weight on the lower stem (usually I'd tie a small plastic sack with sand to the end).

OP
OP
Ohio_Doug

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Stoney56, I see what your saying about the balance. I figure it's because the "box" is so heavy on this thing. I'm just curious to put this thing to work and see if I can find anything with it. I really need to study the manual though since all I can get out of it is a steady tone and putting coins and such up to it does'nt change the tone at all :-\

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
That might help. If I remember correctly, there are 3 G.E.B. (Ground Exclusion Balance) modes-Normal=which detects all metals while ignoring the ground, Disc.=which will distinguish between good and junk (per se. depends on what you consider junk), Max= which is more sens. than Normal G.E.B., and T.R. (Transmit-Receive)=which won't cancel out the ground but will still pick up good targets in non-mineralized soil.
I may be mistaken but it sounds like your threshold is too high. It's been quite a few years since I used one but I seem to recall that nickles vs. round ring tabs were pretty close on the meter. Nickle=27 to 29 and round ring tabs=30 to 32 or thereabouts.

Good luck and HH!

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
Sandman is a wizard here on this site,and for the most part I agree with his assessment of the old whites.But if it were me...For just a few bucks you can get your parts,and get it running.Give it a try,metal detecting may or may not be up your alley.If you decide you really like the hobby,ebay that old machine and update to something newer.I see these sell for $50-$75-$100.00 at times,sometimes more..If you dont like the hobby your not really out much money.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I have the same model, and it works well after 30 years in the garage.
I see some people take the meter box off and strap it around their shoulders,
so all they have to do is swing the coil back and forth, making it easier to
handle.

I'm a newbie at this, so have only limited success so far, but fascinating
to find old coins and other junk. In Folsom here, we find a lot of old
gold-mining equipment.

V

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Ohio_Doug,

As you can see I'm a Tesoro dealer,but this is what I have to say about the 6000 D: I have a 6000 D series II That I still CW relic hunt with. I have the 8",10" and 15" coils for it. That machine is my backup to a "two - Box" that I hunt with. I always start hunting for larger targets. The 6000 LOVES iron! The other side of it is I really KNOW that machine in the hunt situation that I use it in. Joe

OP
OP
Ohio_Doug

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Thanks for all the replies, I havent had time to mess with it much yet but it's good to know that I have a very capable detector and it did'nt cost me a dime :)

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
The battery and the pole should be easy to replace.
4 C cells, so that is 6 volts.

I've been using mine about 10 days now and it works well as a transition tool until I get my new detector. (Leaning towards ACE 250, or more likely Tesoro Silver uMax.)

My BIG advice.

Get a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, a pull-tab, a bottle cap, a gold ring, an old rusty nail, and a piece of silver, and do an air test on each of these using various settings on the dials.
Certainly the discriminator dial will be the most important.
Sheesh - I wish I had done that a week ago - I cudda saved about 10 hours of digging old pull tabs if I had just set the discrim. dial a tad higher!
All the pull tabs drop out at about 6-1/2 on my dial, which is slightly above the recommended default position (marked with a "P").

65f100guy

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2013
Yubaville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305
XP Deus
Whites MXT All Pro
Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 6000/d GEB off of fleabay for 60 including shipping. It is definitely a learning curve. So far I have found it to be a pretty reliable machine. I have found coins and plenty of iron, but I have been looking in pretty junky places. I mainly hunt my kids school and feel that all the junk I pull out make it safer for the kids.

If the discriminator is set right, you can filter out the junk. You do have to learn the machine. Get your samples, air test it in all the modes. Mark down your settings if need be. Down load the manual. Read it over and over. Sure, a newer machine is easier to use, but for economy and just trying out a new hobby, a 400 dollar machine is pricy.

I bought mine from a guy who didn't know how to operate it. The thing is flawless. Has two battery packs. One with 6 AA batteries and one with 8 AA batteries. This machine is about as old as I am, but I like a challenge. I used to own MGs as well!

Happy hunting!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one that I purchased for myself as a divorce present. That machine was top of the line at the time, and it's not top of the line now because it's an analog machine. But I'll tell you what, it works darn good and I've found lots of good stuff with it, analog or not. The down side like the others have said is it's heavy, and you don't have the arm brace, you are swinging that heavy thing with your wrist, and for us old guys that can be a major deal. I'm not selling mine, the grand kids use it, and except for my old bones complaining, I'd still be using it. I've thought about building an arm brace or cup or what ever you call it, and attaching it to the 6000, but haven't got further than that. The weight of the 6000 and pain of use is what caused me to buy the MXT, and I love that machine. Bought the DFX for beach hunting wet sand, and don't ever get over to the beach. Bummer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread