Etrac vs. AT Pro?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an etrac but after the fiasco that was my AT PRO I will be ordering a Minelab Safari. I know this is not much of a help, but it could not get much worse quality wise.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the etrac is multifrequency and the at pro is single, most dealers would tell you it is not fair to compare the two.

I've never owned both, but if I did it would be an etrac.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned both, still have the ATP.

I think both have their benefits.

I never took to the tones of the ET well and the weight & balance were horrible!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned both still own the Etrac. Apples to oranges really.

Last edited:

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both and wouldn't get rid of either! I've found that each has it's place in hunting, sort of like golf clubs in the golf bag. The AT Pro is lighter than the etrac, and I like to take it out of the truck first when hunting parks, school yards, lots etc, but with my etrac I've found silver and much deeper coins in areas that I have already search over with at pro. Last spring I met two guys who were using an at pro and an at pro gold, I hit on a target at about 10" that read 12-44, and had both of them come over to check their machines on it before I dug it, neither one could detect it in the ground, even with adjusting their sensitivity. After opening up the dime, the at pro could faintly pick it up sitting in the bottom of the hole. And on the wet and dry sand beach there is no comparison, in my opinion its the etrac and my excel ll in the surf. BUT I still love the AT PRO it has found lots of stuff!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro. A friend keeps trying to talk me into buying a Minelab Etrac. Does anyone here have both Machines? Can you shed any light on the differences between the two machines? Thanks.

The differences? Night and day! They are completely different in design and response. I don't have an AT, but I have friends who do, and they are very happy with them and find lots of great stuff. From what I have seen, the AT is no slouch!

I have had my E-Trac for 4 or 5 years now and I love it to death.

If you are happy with your AT, keep it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt get somethign just because your friend thinks its better...I hunt with a guy that uses an Etrac, and he might finds deeper coins than me. But overall, I wouldnt say that one machine out does the other...they are both good for certain things...plus the whole 500 dollar price difference

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an etrac but after the fiasco that was my AT PRO I will be ordering a Minelab Safari. I know this is not much of a help, but it could not get much worse quality wise.

Weird that not many other people have problems with that machine

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ATGoldGuy!! I agree with firemac!! I have both and two completely different units, but I like both!! Etrac takes a little more getting use to, but appears more sensitive!! A LOT of different tones!! ATPro is easier to use and lighter!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I'm puzzled and somewhat amused by ATP owners that insist on comparing their machine to something so vastly superior. The only thing that an ATP can do that an E-trac can't is go swimming.
I don't care what anyone uses. In fact, I like ATP users. I encourage everyone to trade in whatever they have for one. :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I'm puzzled and somewhat amused by ATP owners that insist on comparing their machine to something so vastly superior. The only thing that an ATP can do that an E-trac can't is go swimming.
I don't care what anyone uses. In fact, I like ATP users. I encourage everyone to trade in whatever they have for one. :laughing7:

You cant "compare" To totally different machines. I was just telling the OP not to do like most and jump on the bandwagon because someone says another machine is better. Or be the guy that Owns too many machines before they relized how to use ONE properly

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch is right with his apple-to-oranges description. The two are totally different technologies, making any direct comparison virtually impossible. That is exactly why I'm amused by ATP users continuously attempting to do so. The "differences" referred to in the OP are innumerable.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me drag up a chair for this ML bashing! Popcorn anyone? The answer is you either love em or hate em! I've only seen one or two haters I can think of. (Who actually used one for more than a week) Many have watched video and said they hate the flutty sounds of the Etrac. If you like how an AT sounds, you should welcome a flutty sound.

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to have to get in on this one...I own both..The etrac is a much more advanced detector. ..But in iron and trashy sites you have to swing the etrac so slow and the nulling drives you crazy...Thats were the at pro comes in...Better separation and quick response....I like them both...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I agree if you run a regular pattern like coins it will null continuously. But simply select Relic RELIC- TTF- SMOOTH RESPONSE and It's a whole different ball game.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, everyone stick with the AT pro. The Etracs are terrible, heavy, slow, and don't work in iron infested sites.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone's got an etrac & think its just to heavy ill trade ya my week old xterra 705 with 2 coils full warrenty only weighs 2.9lbs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread