What's new

Yesterdays Dig Gives me my First Whole French Coin.

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other then a snaped piece of a French coin from 1692 this is the only other French coin I've found so far in my diggings here on the coast.Yesterday day was a good day to do some looking other then the heat.The tide was good and low so I gave it a shot & found what you see below.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    83.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    85.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    34 KB · Views: 153
  • 012.webp
    012.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 18
Nice finds! What are the teeth from? Any idea?
 
Nice to see you back.

Always good to add one to the collection!
 
and a flying eagle!!! congrats on the nice coins!
 
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds timekiller.
 
Wow. Looks like you have some great finds and lots of bone and teeth. The pottery shards are very similar to shards I have found in LA (Lower Alabama) along the coast. Those shards are of archaic Native American artifacts. We have a lot of French history in this area.
 
Wow very nice finds!
 
Nice finds as always Pete, 1692, sweet. I just dug a 1858 flying last week. Killer site, and your going to need more paper plates...:laughing7:
 

Congrats on your finds Pete, you got something to sink your teeth into right there! :laughing7:

Dave
 
Nice going Pete. Those finds are similar to my colonial creekfront site up here in SE Virginia. Isn't that some Native American pottery I see mixed in with the teeth? And that looks like a piece of an NA pipe in the last pic. A good assortment of early finds, and congrats on your frenchie.
 
Nice finds! What are the teeth from? Any idea?

Those are very likely from a wild boar which was a staple in the diet of the early settlers, and the Indians as well. I find teeth and bones from these animals in just about every early trash pit I dig.
 
Nope..they are bison or cow.
Looks like Seminole War fort related artifacts.. there was often many layers of occupation on those.. good ground is good ground.. especially if by a source of fresh water.
Looks like the stuff that used to come up in my sifting screen.
These are boar teeth.
That kaolin clay pipe fragment looks british-made.
ForumRunner_20130603_170551.webp
 
Last edited:
British kaolin pipe bowls.

ForumRunner_20130603_171156.webp
 
Thanks Bill,
Gatorboy is right on the teeth here in this post either cow or bison very hard for me to tell the difference of those two,other grazing animals I find teeth from on these sites are horse which are like the ones in my hand below,& wild boar which are like the ones I zoomed in on below.Your right about the native pipe pieces/steams & pottery.I made a post last week or so showing how many native pipes I've found & yes I'm sure it looks a lot like what you see there Bill around your salt water marsh sites as I often trace my finds back to things they document in the tide water region area of Virginia.Here's that post on the pipes & finds I speak of here....................................http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-artifacts/356205-my-collection-continues-grow.html
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    62 KB · Views: 98
  • 014.webp
    014.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 015.webp
    015.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 91
You have a pipe fragment in there that is not native but colonial..that's the one I noticed.
Nice finds.
 
This one is kaolin clay. European.

ForumRunner_20130603_175939-1.webp
 
Great looking finds Timekiller. If you don't mind could you tell me if you are finding these below the high tide mark or along the shore?
ZDD
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom