Iron Bros Wednesday... Rev War Pewter New York Volunteers Button & 1800s Brit. 16th

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Bros Wednesday... Rev War Pewter New York Volunteers Button & 1800s Brit. 16th

Today took me back both figuratively and literally to two sites I first hunted about 12 years ago. Targets were kinda thin, which was expected, but I did manage a couple keepers. Had another one of those strange detecting moments. About 15 minutes before I dug the 16th I was thinking back to my first few hunts at the site and trying to recall what I had found, and the only thing that came to mind was a 16th Regiment button. (a 3rd American also did, but I already had one of those in my pocket from the previous site haha) Anyway, I thought it would be cool if one popped up and I could post it and say I dug one when I started the site well over a decade ago, and here I am again posting another... and of course look what turns up. The NY 3rd I also had found at the first site all those years ago so it sort of felt like a back to the future hunt.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 179
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 162
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 12

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice to be able to recover some more history from that site. That area in that period in our history, really is interesting to study.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds as always...and as I said in the past, you have a military horseshoe where the sun doesn't shine... you kill it on old military! Sure must have brought the memories back! Tim's coffee and everything cheese bagel?? lol

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today took me back both figuratively and literally to two sites I first hunted about 12 years ago. Targets were kinda thin, which was expected, but I did manage a couple keepers. Had another one of those strange detecting moments. About 15 minutes before I dug the 16th I was thinking back to my first few hunts at the site and trying to recall what I had found, and the only thing that came to mind was a 16th Regiment button. (a 3rd American also did, but I already had one of those in my pocket from the previous site haha) Anyway, I thought it would be cool if one popped up and I could post it and say I dug one when I started the site well over a decade ago, and here I am again posting another... and of course look what turns up. The NY 3rd I also had found at the first site all those years ago so it sort of felt like a back to the future hunt.
the two buttons are sweet! the musket balls also are great! in the 3rd pix, the group photo, what is the round brass bottom center which appears to have working on it?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the two buttons are sweet! the musket balls also are great! in the 3rd pix, the group photo, what is the round brass bottom center which appears to have working on it?

It's just a mid. 1800s Canadian token.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds as always...and as I said in the past, you have a military horseshoe where the sun doesn't shine... you kill it on old military! Sure must have brought the memories back! Tim's coffee and everything cheese bagel?? lol

And I thought I had another one when I seen the button on the left in my group shot pop out!

The 3rd button is from a site I hunted with Mike B. way back... before your time. :) It gave up pewter tudor rose Navy, RPs, 3rd, 42nd & 80th. Little site with not much, but a good % of the targets were Rev War buttons.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice recoveries, IP! :icon_thumright:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It was like deja vu all over again!

Don't you wish you could sometimes go back to some if our old sites and pull out some if the same finds over again , it's a crying shame that the relics don't grow back in the ground.

All in all you had a decent day, keeping the military roll going!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that the bottom of my GGGGG grandfather's field? The one you got the cob in the upper part?

And I thought I had another one when I seen the button on the left in my group shot pop out!

The 3rd button is from a site I hunted with Mike B. way back... before your time. :) It gave up pewter tudor rose Navy, RPs, 3rd, 42nd & 80th. Little site with not much, but a good % of the targets were Rev War buttons.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty nice haul from a couple of old sites! I always like hitting the old sites even if they've been beat, there's usually something left around!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I can't wait to turn up a pewter button with something on it besides flatness

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on doing it again with the button. What's the cone looking item on the left in the second picture?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice story and finds, Iron Patch. I like the 16th button and also that token, looks like it says 1855?

Yep, 1855 Canadian token. Right after that I dug a George II Halfpenny (1729-39) and it looks like it circulated right up to when the 1855 coin was lost.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Those are some sweet finds...rev war anything is an awesome piece of early history...Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread