Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife was off from work today and wanted to get out.It had been awhile since we had been out together. So was all for it.Got off kinda late so picked a site I have found some good things at.Just a basic get out of the house thing.Have hit this shore line purdy hard already.So wasn't counting on much.This fall it will be a good place able to get in the woods.Anyway had found another muskett ball and a piece of old lead shot,piece of pipe steam,and a hammerd out little pendant made of lead can't see no real features on it, also a woulda' been nice bottle.Pendant came from a little area of indian stuff could be something they had :dontknow:.Had started heading back in and was following the shore line close just looking like I always do for signs of old places when I spotted some bones in the marsh.So I stoped looked and could tell right away that it was a gator skeleton.And a large one at that.I'd knew and had seen some around here in my life but not very common for here.It had died facing the water and all the bones where there except it's head.Probably had washed away, the way it was laying.Wife had never seen one before so she couldn't believe it.So I was joking her on the way in that there was probably another one around.I'd splash the water when she weren't looking.Anyway had her worked up.And what do you know another one popped right up in front of us.It was a good size one too.The wife grabed the ore :dontknow: looked at me and said get me to that dock. :laughing9:So me not really knowing her intentions with the ore got her to the dock. :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D Anyway she believes theres gators around now! :laughing9:

Attachments

• 000_0132.jpg
    000_0132.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 000_0133.jpg
    000_0133.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 000_0134.jpg
    000_0134.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 000_0135.jpg
    000_0135.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 000_0136.jpg
    000_0136.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 000_0139.jpg
    000_0139.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,377
  • 000_0138.jpg
    000_0138.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • 000_0137.jpg
    000_0137.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,374
Upvote 0

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
Re: And here I was worried about snakes!

nice pickins :thumbsup:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Gator skutes in NC? Nice find.
Newt

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man I didn't think gators was up that far.......Matt

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al

hell yeah there's gators up there!! I used to live in Atlantic beach, Morehead city & Beaufort.....lots of gators around.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers said:
Man I didn't think gators was up that far.......Matt
Yea man,sure are!Got for awhile you didn't hear much about them.But lately starting to hear more about them again.
Timekiller!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller, it sure is fun hunting the Colonial animal!!! I can just see that glinting cob in the river bottom, just waiting for your coil. :headbang: :hello2: When you start digging up Meg teeth, that is when you won't see me in the water. :o :wink: :D

Kirk

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're lucky that was a gator and not a snake, that would have been one hell of a snake with teeth that size :laughing9:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have you seen any of the documentaries on TV where there are SNAKES eating GATORS, in Florida? Not kidding!!!
Some bonehead brought some of the nasty South American and Asian snakes into Florida, they got too big to be pets, and they
dumped them into one of the lakes/canals Florida has.
Now, go and find some of those snakes' teeth!!! :read2:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay! Went back out today and gathered all the bones of the alligator skeleton I could find. Still haven't been able to find the skull and fear it may have been washed overboard. It's too deep and muddy to see the bottom of the creek right now. The water will clear up when the weather gets cold. I'm hoping I will be able to find it then. I think I have most of the skeletal bones except for the skull. I am going to attempt to put this bad boy back together. I have assembled the vertebrae so far just to see how large he would have been. If I had the skull, it looks like he would be approximately 10 feet long! I took these pictures of his vertebrae and the other bones I haven't identified yet. My wife is 5'9" and thought it was strange to lay beside an alligator in her dining room :laughing7:! The vertebrae without the skull is just shy of 8 feet. Will post more pictures after I figure out the other bones.

Attachments

• 000_0140.jpg
    000_0140.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 774
  • 000_0141.jpg
    000_0141.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 769
  • 000_0142.jpg
    000_0142.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 760
  • 000_0143.jpg
    000_0143.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 763

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
You need to keep her. The wife I mean. Gator bones on the carpet. Nice!
Newt

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok tneters,been working yesterday on this boy.As it stands right now I know I'm missing at least 4 more of his neck vertebra and possibly a piece or two of tip of tale.The record for N.C. is 12'7" this boy here is getting close to that I'd say.If I had it all.
http://www.ncaquariums.com/askaquarium/alligators.htm

Attachments

• 000_0144.jpg
    000_0144.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 618
  • 000_0145.jpg
    000_0145.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 611
  • 000_0146.jpg
    000_0146.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 602

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a poacher shot it and took the head as a trophy and kept the skin also? Likely scenario. Monty

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Monty said:
Maybe a poacher shot it and took the head as a trophy and kept the skin also? Likely scenario. Monty
I thought the same thing ... doesn't make sense that only the head is missing....
Could very well be.But I have purdy much all his scutes that would of been with the skin,and right many teeth that would have gone with skull.Just looks like if they were going to take the skull they would had got his teeth.I do agree that someone else might have it but with the way I found the skeleton head facing the creek laying on the bank I also think it could be at the bottom of the creek.Even with tide low water was close to where his head was.This place is very remote anything is possible.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those teeth look sharp!!!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I don't see any hack marks on the last neck vertebra.Don't mean nothing I don't guess except that they took their time cutting it off, if they did.With the size I'd say for around here probably died of old age.Just another neat find and project for me.Do hope to find his head though.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
timekiller said:
Also I don't see any hack marks on the last neck vertebra.Don't mean nothing I don't guess except that they took their time cutting it off, if they did.With the size I'd say for around here probably died of old age.Just another neat find and project for me.Do hope to find his head though.
You did say you might be missing 4 of the neck bones..correct? maybe a few of them was lost when they hacked the neck an pulled the head off... altho if does get cold in NC sometimes maybe it froze to death... hope you do find the head an missing bones..but stay out of the water since there is another Gator in the water there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
timekiller said:
You did say you might be missing 4 of the neck bones..correct? maybe a few of them was lost when they hacked the neck an pulled the head off... altho if does get cold in NC sometimes maybe it froze to death... hope you do find the head an missing bones..but stay out of the water since there is another Gator in the water there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right on creeper 71 on staying out of the water!The thing is I've been going back and fouth to this site since last winter.Right at the edge of the water is right where I've been doing my looking just wonder how many times I've been sized up. :laughing9:Know there are two for sure there now since I've become aware of them.Another big one I've seen,and a little one the last time 21/2ft or so.
Thanks,

Timekiller!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread