Really Different Silver- Thanks Hurricane Issac!!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been digging a bunch of relics and coins from a new field that is giving up everything from colonial to 1940s items. Got out there after the torrential rain that the area got during hurricane Issac's pounding. We were making a lot of "eye ball" finds, clay marbles, glass buttons etc. like we always do after a lot of hard rain.......the water washes the top of the sugar cane rows down exposing the goodies beneath. I got to the end of a row and just as I spotted another pretty marble I got a loud beep from my Cortes. I took my eyes off the marble and looked down where my coil had just passed and this coin was staring back at me. Someone did a really great job of popping the coin out into a bubble and drilling 2 holes in it. Looks to us like a tie tack. The coin is a 1944 D Philippines Ten centavos. Here's a little history-
Philippines Coinage under U.S. Sovereignty

The Philippines was ceded to the United States as part of the settlement between Spain and the United States at the end of the Spanish-American War in 1898. A self-governing commonwealth was established in 1935. The U.S. granted the Republic of The Philippines full independence on July 4, 1946.
During the United States administration, Congress was responsible for issuing coinage. The first U.S./Philippine coins were minted in 1903 in Philadelphia and San Francisco and bear both the Identities of the United States and "Filipinas" (Spanish for The Philippines). During the commonwealth period, coinage was issued primarily at the Manila Mint ("M" mint mark). During the Japanese Occupation no Philippine coinage was issued. In 1944 and 1945 coins were only struck at the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco Mints.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_5228.JPG
    100_5228.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_5229.JPG
    100_5229.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 2

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did not even know the U.S. mint made those or even heard of one being dug Shane. A rare find. You guys had a great hunt AGAIN!!
The rairity of recovery makes that a BANNER find and I'm nominating it as such. WTG & HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
very unique find
Yes sir it is........I'm really excited about it. Not just a rare coin but shaped into a tie tack. Perhaps the guy who went thru that trouble of making it spent a tour in the Philippines with the Navy? He would have been very proud to go to the trouble of making this into a tie tack.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not even know the U.S. mint made those or even heard of one being dug Shane. A rare find. You guys had a great hunt AGAIN!!
The rairity of recovery makes that a BANNER find and I'm nominating it as such. WTG & HH, Quindy.
Thanks Q........That very morning Buckleboy and I had chatted about all the things that were washed into sight by the rain and how it would be awesome to find a coin or military button that had also been exposed..........then it happened. So then we started saying, "We are going to find a gold coin"!! Guess that mo jo will manifest itself at a later hunt :P

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Filipino coin! We've had 3 or 4 of those come up this year on our Ohio forums. Although its a different find its by no means rare to find. I think the story of how it washed up after Isaac is more of a rarity. :headbang:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sis is gonna be jealous now!...................HH Cool find

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Filipino coin! We've had 3 or 4 of those come up this year on our Ohio forums. Although its a different find its by no means rare to find. I think the story of how it washed up after Isaac is more of a rarity. :headbang:
Thanks a million for the reply...............Im really excited aboiut it...........

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Q........That very morning Buckleboy and I had chatted about all the things that were washed into sight by the rain and how it would be awesome to find a coin or military button that had also been exposed..........then it happened. So then we started saying, "We are going to find a gold coin"!! Guess that mo jo will manifest itself at a later hunt :P

Dad & I have had many a similar conversations. I once shouted 'come on Roman Silver' & 20 paces & the next dig was a near perfect Roman Silver. Its the only one we have had from that field. I should have said Roman Gold.:laughing7:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that was one cool find! I like how we talk about what we're gonna dig, then dig it. Let's talk about a seated coin next time and see what gets dug. Hey, you doin anything Saturday?

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread