$10 Federal reserve note. Blue seals and serial numbers

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023
This may be kind of long I hope that's okay.
I have had this 2013 $10 Federal reserve note for a couple years now. done many many hours of research trying to find out if it is legit. Send it into PMG came back with cannot grade altered note. They have graded some in the past but I guess they have reimbursed the folks that had one graded because of this issue being altered.
The Secret service says that it is inkwell contamination. PMG will not give me a reasoning for their conclusion. From all the research that I have done. Without being able to speak with The BEP. And not actually having I guess what I call evidence or whatever in my hand to research it myself. I still believe that it is a legit error. Here's why.
The example I have is perfect. You can see a difference between a chemically altered one and my example which I have came across other ones like mine not all of them are as complete because some will just have the seals blue color or maybe one side will be blue color being the seal and serial number one example I came across it had a blue seal and it started out green but faded into the blue color serial number. It seemed to have started when they started printing large face bills. I have only seen examples of the five tens and 20s. It seems that none of them are the same. It would seem to me that if somebody was doing this to the bills they would want to do all the serial numbers and and both seals rather than a little here a little there especially if they were trying to perfect their craft. As you can see in my photo the black pigments in the serial number are not discolored and you can also see the black dot pigments in a normal Federal reserve note serial number. It is not as a parent in all serial numbers as my example or some others I've ran across. If they mix some kind of inks together the primary three colors are yellow magenta and cyan. Cyan being the same Exact color blue as what's on my $10 note. But I have heard that they use chemicals to create the color of the seals and serial numbers but that too can have alterations.
V can somebody lead me into the right direction of more information maybe like a contact in the BEP. Or somebody that would have first hand knowledge on their process. Any information would be great thanks
IMG_20231207_232118.jpg
IMG_20231207_232133.jpg
IMG_20231207_232508.jpg
IMG_20231207_232541.jpg
IMG_20231207_232623.jpg
IMG_20231207_232640.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023
environmentally or chemically enhanced.

Yes this would be an example of one that is chemically altered and like I mentioned in my post if you look at the mine with the close-up shots there's no deviation of any other color and a serial numbers have the black dots in them just like a normal bill. And the color of blue is completely different

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing I don't see present in your close-up shots is the colored cloth fibers that are always present in genuine US bills. Might want to check it with one of those counterfeit detection markers like the stores use

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be interested in the discussion at this link:

A few selected excerpts from the discussion:

Unfortunately, ALL OF THESE EXAMPLES ARE FAKE, NOT GENUINE, CREATED AFTER THEY LEFT THE B.E.P.! This is not a guess, merely stating fact. These slabbed examples were slabbed back in the day BEFORE PMG checked them out with an error expert…
…These are all altered by exposure to caustic chemicals AFTER they left the Treasury, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... I wonder if PMG would buy them back to save face??

and

While "contaminated ink" errors do exist, the contaminant always bleeds into the paper like an oily residue but these NEVER alter the pigments in the ink to completely different colors.... ever. I'm reluctant to post exactly how this "error" is created because more may surface…

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing added to the debate with this response:

The BEP did not make the printing error you describe, and would not knowingly release an error note. The alteration to the note most like occurred in general circulation.

An expert from Heritage Auctions gave this response to a query from someone who had purchased a note previously graded by PMG:

Thank you for your inquiry. These items caused quite a stir when they first came out. I recall at the time we were shown these we asked several dealers as well as Glen at PMG for their opinions. Subsequently, we accepted the notes for auction based on PMG grading them. We are now of the opinion these notes are not good and are easily made to resemble errors using various chemicals. The Secret Service in several letters not related to this error but of similar error style mentioned ink fountain contamination was to blame when various seals were a different color. Now we know this is not the case and so-called errors displaying this type of inking will likely not be graded again by PCGS or PMG in the future.

One other thing to note is that there are many similar examples on eBay and elsewhere, described as “rare” but with asking prices typically in the modest region of $20-$30.

OP
OP
F

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023
one thing I don't see present in your close-up shots is the colored cloth fibers that are always present in genuine US bills. Might want to check it with one of those counterfeit detection markers like the stores use
Threads are there so is the micro printing, watermark, strip. I've already sent it into PMG. They say it's an altered note. But from my understanding the secret service says that it's contaminated inkwell.

OP
OP
F

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023

Unfortunately, ALL OF THESE EXAMPLES ARE FAKE, NOT GENUINE, CREATED AFTER THEY LEFT THE B.E.P.! This is not a guess, merely stating fact. These slabbed examples were slabbed back in the day BEFORE PMG checked them out with an error expert…
…These are all altered by exposure to caustic chemicals AFTER they left the Treasury, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... I wonder if PMG would buy them back to save face??

and

While "contaminated ink" errors do exist, the contaminant always bleeds into the paper like an oily residue but these NEVER alter the pigments in the ink to completely different colors.... ever. I'm reluctant to post exactly how this "error" is created because more may surface…

The BEP did not make the printing error you describe, and would not knowingly release an error note. The alteration to the note most like occurred in general circulation.

An expert from Heritage Auctions gave this response to a query from someone who had purchased a note previously graded by PMG:

Thank you for your inquiry. These items caused quite a stir when they first came out. I recall at the time we were shown these we asked several dealers as well as Glen at PMG for their opinions. Subsequently, we accepted the notes for auction based on PMG grading them. We are now of the opinion these notes are not good and are easily made to resemble errors using various chemicals. The Secret Service in several letters not related to this error but of similar error style mentioned ink fountain contamination was to blame when various seals were a different color. Now we know this is not the case and so-called errors displaying this type of inking will likely not be graded again by PCGS or PMG in the future.

One other thing to note is that there are many similar examples on eBay and elsewhere, described as “rare” but with asking prices typically in the modest region of $20-$30.
I would pretty much steak my life on it that it any of them sold weren't in the condition that this one is in. On top of that this one has more of the blue then any of the other ones that I found. And most of them that I have found newer and older than this you can tell we're chemically altered. I've looked on eBay sold items and I couldn't find any under there if you run across one would you be able to send me the link. That would be a huge help.

OP
OP
F

Fresh Find

Greenie
Dec 8, 2023

and

The only problem is inkwell contamination could be a number of things to be able to change the color not just some oily excessive bleeding issue. But if you look at the color wheel for ink not the light spectrum but printing ink it consists of three colors one of them being Cyan. Which is the exact color of the seals and serial number on my $10 note. I thought this web site was interesting I tried getting a hold of them to no avail. You got to read till the end.

moemoney

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2024
I would pretty much steak my life on it that it any of them sold weren't in the condition that this one is in. On top of that this one has more of the blue then any of the other ones that I found. And most of them that I have found newer and older than this you can tell we're chemically altered. I've looked on eBay sold items and I couldn't find any under there if you run across one would you be able to send me the link. That would be a huge help.
Hi, I've just joined, 3-22-24 but there is now one on eBay item #305456767863. The only unaltered notes that are legit are "wrong ink color error" where serial numbers are black on the left side. I have had some of these graded by PMG recently, one from Cleveland district and the other from Atlanta, the only districts that I am aware of with this error. I guess all are aware of alkaline products changing red inks of legal tender notes to yellow and that long term ultraviolet light can change green to yellow on the first printing side.

Ryanc420

Apr 18, 2024
I found one and thought it was very weird at my convenience store and bought it because it definitely passed all the counterfeit protocols and my bank even looked and said it was real and to hangbon to it because they have not seen anything like it.

Attachments

• 17134279915652505676850342411875.jpg
    17134279915652505676850342411875.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 1713428044477957313077622020291.jpg
    1713428044477957313077622020291.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8

moemoney

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2024
Hello. As a collector of error currency, I would really like to figure this out. Currently on eBay, is an uncut strip of 4 of twenty dollar bills, all with the "blue" ink. Since the BEP sells these uncut sheets specifically as collector items, it is unlikely that any such "error" would escape the BEP, as these sheets are "hand packed" and not intended for circulation. Other notes with ink changes are always in very circulated condition, as in $1 bills with the ink on the reverse being yellow (caused by prolonged exposure to direct sunlight), Legal tender notes ( US notes ) with red ink turned to yellow, (having invariably "gone through the wash" with alkaline laundry detergents). The only recent, and explained, ink variances are some notes where the serial numbers on the left are black/dark and the right side normal green. This has been confirmed with the BEP as "ink fountain contamination" and are also recognized by the various grading services. Since all anti-counterfeiting measures are not known to the public, it is possible that a new added ingredient to the ink, ( since the release of "colorized" notes ), has been found to be reactive to specific wave lengths of light, or by a extremely minimally invasive chemical, since some examples seen are in "uncirculated" condition. Any "Breaking Bad" chemists out there? Curious!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...see... the problem there... is "currently on ebay"....

moemoney

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2024
...see... the problem there... is "currently on ebay"....
Agreed. I like figuring out errors in currency, legit and contrived. by knowing the way fake "errors" are made I am more able to help unsuspecting buyers! For grins, if you want to see the item on eBay, the item # is 355641731262.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread