What's new

100 peso coin

Eleven Cents

Full Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2016
Messages
169
Reaction score
309
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding weird coins. I especially love when a find leads me to learn a little history.

In the 1980s, Mexico was experiencing hyperinflation. Between 1984 and 1988, they minted coins from 100 to 5000 pesos. In 1993, a new peso was introduced with a value of 1000 old pesos. So this 100 peso coin has a face value of 0.1 new pesos, which is around 1/2 cent USD. I found it at a playground, so I imagine someone gave it to their kid as play money. Judging from the sale prices on eBay, it has a collector value of two or three dollars. It's a big coin and very thick, about the size of two US quarters stacked.

100pesos_zpswtjvfhjo.jpg
 
Upvote 16
Thanks for the history....seen them many times before, but never put any thought into their currency history....
Dude looks a little like Santa too....
 
Welcome to tnet Glad you have warm temps year round I used to live in AZ Great state also lived near MT Lemon in Tucson.. I also like finding all kinds of coins I find many foreign coins I always think they are some old rare coin till I look at the date fun to find though Thanks for sharing it!!!!!
 
Congrats! I was lucky last season to find the same coin (1988) in one of the Canadian parks. Was really excited about that!
 

Attachments

  • 20150625_074837.webp
    20150625_074837.webp
    458.3 KB · Views: 104
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds Eleven Cents! Thanks for sharing...
 
Nice find! My only foreign so far is a 2003 German 20 euro cent-not bad for a first though!
 
Cool coin find, congratulations! :occasion14:
 
Nice looking coin. I'll bet that gave off a great signal!
 
Nice find! Always found it unbelievable that people that read braille can feel those tiny dots.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom