What's new

$1000 bag of dimes, got a few silver and some other stuff

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ended up with 3 silver rosies, 2 1968 Canadians (50% silver) the foreign coin, anyone know what it is?
and this penny, it is the same size as a dime, what happened to it??
 

Attachments

  • S6300494.webp
    S6300494.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 358
  • S6300495.webp
    S6300495.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
I got a penny that was downsized like that in a roll of dimes recently. The worst part of it is the coin counting machine at my dump bank rejected it when I tried to run it through. So you could say I not only got gyped out of 9 cents on that roll and the penny to boot. LOL

Mojo
 
The Canadian Mint only made half the 68 year in silver, the other half if normal. Use a magnet to test them

HH
-GC
 
goldencoin said:
The Canadian Mint only made half the 68 year in silver, the other half if normal. Use a magnet to test them

HH
-GC

Would the magnet still pick it up if there is a small percentage of silver? my understanding is there is a smaller percentage of silver?

Just looked it up on the web. 50% silver 50% copper. 67-68 hmmm. I guess it still would not pick it up with that composition............ Nevermind


Mojo
 
GMan00001 said:
The mystery coin is a 1 Fen from the People's Republic of China.
I got one of those Saturday in a bag of cents. Thanks, now i don't have to ask. I knew it was Chinese but didn't know what to call it.
 
Penny looks like someone may have been working on it for a coin ring. Just a maybe though, not sure.
 
so if a magnet sticks to the canadians they are NOT silver?
 
nope, sorry. I have only found one silver 68 out of about 30

HH
-GC
 
That penny looks like one we used to sand down to put in the pinball machines.

We would go find a penny. Then you would hold it between your fingers and rub it on the sidewalk while rolling it until it was the same diameter as a dime. Then we would lay it flat on the sidewalk and rub it back and forth with our shoe until it was as thick as a dime. When you go it right, you would get one pinball game. And hope you were good enough to get some free ones with it. Times were different back then.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom