What's new

143.00 At the beach!

Ga. dirt fisher

Greenie
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Saint Simons Island, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tonight was the first time I've read any of the post in this catagory, and it reminded me of a great find I had a few years back. My family was spending a week at Panama City Beach Florida. Now the water at this beach most all of the time has a fair amount of seaweed floating in the water, so it's not that easy to see the bottom when you're in it. At the time I was not even into metal detecting so did not look around too much for treasures on the beach, (well maybe did keep an eye out for the ones walking on the beach :).
On the third day we were there the water was extremely calm and clear, I guess it was clearer due to the fact that it was very calm. The calmness allowed the seaweed settle on the bottom and collect in a small strip about two feet wide about fifteen yards out. As I was walking in the water about waist deep marveling at how clear the water was, I spotted what looked like a dollar bill in the seaweed. Sure enough when I hooked it and pulled it up with my foot, it was! Well I thought, if there's one, maybe there's more. For the next three hours I was totally focused on the strip of seaweed, and covered about four hundred yards of beach. In all I found 143.00 in one's, fives, ten's and 20's. I could tell they had been in the water for different amounts of time by the varying degreas of deteriation. All of the bills still had readable serial numbers and I was able to take them to the bank after drying them out. Oh, and I also got a real good sunburn on my Back!
Never again have I seen the water that clear again at that beach. :(
 
That's cool! You have never shared that story with me! I only got an hour in today hunting....I'm bummed about it! I'm going after work some this week!

:BangHead:
 
Maybe your on to someting! Maybe the money is somehow attracted to the seaweed, and kinda sticks to it. I will have to keep my eyes open. But wonder how the money got there, especially if it wasnt all lost at the same time. Hard to believe the wind just blowing money from peoples hands or pockets, gotta be a good explanation for it.
 
Ga. dirt fisher said:
The calmness allowed the seaweed settle on the bottom and collect in a small strip about two feet wide about fifteen yards out.
I have heard that type of strip is also where gold and coins settle. wonder what you would have found with a MD.
 
Were they still readable? I know that money that is refused at places can be exchanged at the bank and they turn it into the feds.
 
Sounds like that huge current in the ocean that has all that plastic debris in it. You have found the black hole for paper money!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom