Ga. dirt fisher

Greenie
Jan 6, 2012
Saint Simons Island, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tonight was the first time I've read any of the post in this catagory, and it reminded me of a great find I had a few years back. My family was spending a week at Panama City Beach Florida. Now the water at this beach most all of the time has a fair amount of seaweed floating in the water, so it's not that easy to see the bottom when you're in it. At the time I was not even into metal detecting so did not look around too much for treasures on the beach, (well maybe did keep an eye out for the ones walking on the beach :).
On the third day we were there the water was extremely calm and clear, I guess it was clearer due to the fact that it was very calm. The calmness allowed the seaweed settle on the bottom and collect in a small strip about two feet wide about fifteen yards out. As I was walking in the water about waist deep marveling at how clear the water was, I spotted what looked like a dollar bill in the seaweed. Sure enough when I hooked it and pulled it up with my foot, it was! Well I thought, if there's one, maybe there's more. For the next three hours I was totally focused on the strip of seaweed, and covered about four hundred yards of beach. In all I found 143.00 in one's, fives, ten's and 20's. I could tell they had been in the water for different amounts of time by the varying degreas of deteriation. All of the bills still had readable serial numbers and I was able to take them to the bank after drying them out. Oh, and I also got a real good sunburn on my Back!
Never again have I seen the water that clear again at that beach. :(

Amyzon

Feb 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 and Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool! You have never shared that story with me! I only got an hour in today hunting....I'm bummed about it! I'm going after work some this week!

:BangHead:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe your on to someting! Maybe the money is somehow attracted to the seaweed, and kinda sticks to it. I will have to keep my eyes open. But wonder how the money got there, especially if it wasnt all lost at the same time. Hard to believe the wind just blowing money from peoples hands or pockets, gotta be a good explanation for it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ga. dirt fisher said:
The calmness allowed the seaweed settle on the bottom and collect in a small strip about two feet wide about fifteen yards out.
I have heard that type of strip is also where gold and coins settle. wonder what you would have found with a MD.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Were they still readable? I know that money that is refused at places can be exchanged at the bank and they turn it into the feds.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like that huge current in the ocean that has all that plastic debris in it. You have found the black hole for paper money!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread