Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these yesterday on a quick one hour hunt using the 9" HF round coil with Frequency set at 28kHZ. 14kHz didn't even touch them.

2017-12-24 14.13.18.jpg

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pitch program
Freq 28 kHz
React 2.5
Silencer -1
Sense 90
Iron Vol 1
Notch 98-99
Disc 10

This relic program rocks in iron (not that great in modern trash)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to see what bumping it to 74 khz does. I dug a plain eagle button 9-10 inches down with that frequency last weekend.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. Mid-conductors like the higher frequency, those look mostly like mid-conductors. Can't be sure just from the pic, but doesn't look like any high conductors (e.g. silver, pure copper).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense. Mid-conductors like the higher frequency, those look mostly like mid-conductors. Can't be sure just from the pic, but doesn't look like any high conductors (e.g. silver, pure copper).

They are all brass pieces and found at a spot that I have been to no less than 50 times over last year because it produced so much stuff. Up until yesterday I had only used the 9" LF round coil at this spot. So yesterday I interrogated the targets with the 9" HF round coil using 14kHz and then 28kHz and only heard them with 28kHz.
The area is littered with old iron big and small. No modern trash at all.
The 2 smaller fancy buttons and the tombac button I found at depths between 7" and 9" and the fancy little buckle was about 6" deep. Each plug had multiple nails of all sizes.

I believe that it was the unmasking ability of the higher frequency in iron that made these targets available, since I could not find them with the lower 14kHz.

Anyway, I thought that I would share.

I had a blast finding this old colonial stuff!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for sharing that and congrats on the finds. I have been reluctant to hunt in the higher freqs so thanks again for sharing that. My buddy dug a piece of pewter spoon at a foot the other day in 28 kh with the round coil I couldn't believe my eyes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the 74 khz would be useless. I was wrong. Some items have come from 10-14" deep, HOWEVER if there is a shallow good target the response will blow off your head.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And bharping, you make a good point about interrogating a potentially masked target at 28 khz or higher because even if the target itself is not a mid-conductor, the higher frequency can help separate non-ferrous from ferrous better because of the higher resolution afforded by the smaller wavelength of the higher frequency.

Regarding your program, looks great the only comment I would have is be careful about using the iron wraparound notch (at 97-99) for the hf frequencies (i.e., 28khz and above) because it is more likely that legit high conductors get pushed up into that TID range because their is no ID normalization on the hf coils. I have 14k pitch program just like yours (though I bump iron vol up to 3) with the 97-99 notch, then an identical one at 28khz but no notches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the notch is tricky for the high conductors at depth. But what I have found is that notching 98 and 99 (at Freq 28) doesn't completely kill the high conductor targets that create a pure signal at TIDs 98 and 99. I still hear them for some reason. Maybe because those high conductive targets start sounding off at 96 or 97 and then go up to 98 and 99? Maybe the Deus won't let you just swing over a good target without some kind of sound?

What the notching does for this site is stop me from digging big chunks of iron pot fragments.

But you are right about notching and possibly loosing good targets.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the program but that notch window scares me have showed it in videos knocking out high conductive deep targets...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done well and I don't play with the notches. I generally set my machine on "idiot" mode, with me being the idiot then just change frequencies as desired.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Always good to learn more about your detector

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted in a high emi area today in 54 kh and 74 kh and it worked well, its a place that renders detectors useless..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted in a high emi area today in 54 kh and 74 kh and it worked well, its a place that renders detectors useless..

I love reading these posts about the V4 HF DEUS settings and finds. ITs helping me understand how I can get the best results from the Equinox (when it releases). I think those of you with DEUS experience are going to have a foot up on us that don't.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the 9"hf out in the yard for the first time today and I heard signals I never heard before. I did not dig any though. I did notice it followed my old water pipe rather well too..hahaha Looking forward to digging the others

As most would guess it was not as deep in the test garden for me on silver coins as the 9"LF but it was a quieter coil for sure. I have few sights I want to go swing it loaded with Iron..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That 74 kh really gets after it, doesn't it? I'm a big fan of the 74 kh (elliptical). I have found my best finds with it.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
So you guys have to go over the same site with each khz setting? Very redundant.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we just follow minelab users around on relic sites mainly and find the relics they missed with their fbs machines...:laughing7: Yes different kh unlocks targets in different situations,,,and no I don't always comb sites in different freqs depends on the situation, time frame, what kind of relics came from there,,etc, its just now starting to be found how MUCH advantage there is to a machine that can change such a broad range of freqs... why do you think the NEW EQUINNOX has that feature? Deus is the for runner in that department with not having to buy a different coil for each freq that exttera line. I think the deus has the advantage over the fbs because it will hit high conducters and low conducters equally hard and fbs likes high conducters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread