Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reading these posts about the V4 HF DEUS settings and finds. ITs helping me understand how I can get the best results from the Equinox (when it releases). I think those of you with DEUS experience are going to have a foot up on us that don't.

I agree with you and wonder if the 40 kh is gonna be high enough.. The equinox is gonna have to something out of this world with the multi iq to root the deus out.. I will be having one to find out what the fuss is about.. If it runs a broad range of freqs at one time well that will be very interesting but we will have to wait and see.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys have to go over the same site with each khz setting? Very redundant.

Heck, I go over a good spot with the same machine more than once and can keep getting new targets.. Let alone when you change the machine or operating parameters.. 8-)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you and wonder if the 40 kh is gonna be high enough.. The equinox is gonna have to something out of this world with the multi iq to root the deus out.. I will be having one to find out what the fuss is about.. If it runs a broad range of freqs at one time well that will be very interesting but we will have to wait and see.

I don't know if it will beat the DEUS at its own game, I think MLs hope was that it just competed in the same field. The DEUS finally did something that no other detector had done (several things) and that it a very good machine with different abilities. I was going to buy one, but the roll out of V4 and the HF coils took so long I lost my steam.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny cause I was pumped about the NOX but I'm kinda lost my excitement about it, no test videos and such.... So it got me to wondering how much hype is behind this thing? I will have to wait and see sure it will be a good detector I'm just hoping its a great one.. another tool for the aresenal

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny cause I was pumped about the NOX but I'm kinda lost my excitement about it, no test videos and such.... So it got me to wondering how much hype is behind this thing? I will have to wait and see sure it will be a good detector I'm just hoping its a great one.. another tool for the aresenal

The Deus is supposed to be coming out with another coil sometime as well? I heard that it may be a larger HF coil? IMO Minelab makes a cheaper "feeling" product in general, but the new NOX may be able to pull out that find of a lifetime. I just hope it has the reactivity speed as it claims. I like to hunt fairly fast with lots of action. The Deus has been perfect for that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The EQ is going to have both 6 inch and 15 inch coils available. Originally ML said they would be available at the time the detector went out, we will have to see if that happens. They will be the same freqs as the stock coil. There won't be anything above the 40kz level, but that is like being lightyears away from the base freqs that FBS has been running for 20 years now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you guys have to go over the same site with each khz setting? Very redundant.

Actually not redundant at all. A lot of folks focus on deep silver ID and recovery, which is great. But focusing your detector to be able to do that limits its ability to pull mid-conductors such as old nickels, gold and brass relics at depth and also limits your ability to unmask even silver when it is in close proximity to iron. If you want to cover a site thoroughly for all types of targets (especially if relic hunting), typically it should be gridded with more than one single frequency detector because the various frequencies and their inherent variations in other characteristics (such as recovery speed and coil sensitivity) can make targets become "visible" that were masked at the other frequencies and settings, and its not all about depth, but separation too. One of the reasons why folks own more than one detector or a Deus which allows you to cover the site with a single detector at multiple frequency and reactivity settings. Even owners of FBS detectors, like yourself (whose recovery speeds typically locked at one setting) could do well to do this. That is also whey the Equinox is intriguing even to Deus users, because it has Frequency IQ AND adjustable reactivity settings. And as mentioned previously, if you think you have covered every inch of a site with your coil, even if gridded, think again. That is why you can still find targets at a "pounded" site with the same detector and same settings, time and again. Besides, targets are constantly moving around in the ground due to any number of natural and manmade forces (frost heave, soil density changes, tilling and plowing, etc.) and targets are unmasked but not necessarily recovered when trash is removed because many detectorists are not experienced or careful enough to re-scan their holes.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is supposed to be coming out with another coil sometime as well? I heard that it may be a larger HF coil? IMO Minelab makes a cheaper "feeling" product in general, but the new NOX may be able to pull out that find of a lifetime. I just hope it has the reactivity speed as it claims. I like to hunt fairly fast with lots of action. The Deus has been perfect for that.

The other coil is actually an LF two-box deep seeking coil that XP has been talking about for years now (that is actually why 4khz was provided in the LF coil settings - you can see pictures of it Andy's handbook). We thought it would be released about the same time as the HF coils but no such luck. I think they are having some technical difficulties with performance but I think it is still under development and has not been shelved, though you do not hear XP talking about it much anymore. I think as far as Deus is concerned, Version "5" SW may unlock additional performance features built into the HF coils that are meant to improved salt beach performance, but that is just rumor based on unreleased test software that has been demonstrated at some of these UK detector festivals.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The other coil is actually an LF two-box deep seeking coil that XP has been talking about for years now (that is actually why 4khz was provided in the LF coil settings - you can see pictures of it Andy's handbook). We thought it would be released about the same time as the HF coils but no such luck. I think they are having some technical difficulties with performance but I think it is still under development and has not been shelved, though you do not hear XP talking about it much anymore. I think as far as Deus is concerned, Version "5" SW may unlock additional performance features built into the HF coils that are meant to improved salt beach performance, but that is just rumor based on unreleased test software that has been demonstrated at some of these UK detector festivals.

Dang it, I read that post wrong.... Yeah there was supposed to be a 2-box "cache hunter" setup for the V4 (another reason I wanted it) but they must have run into trouble getting it to work like they wanted. I think a 2-box setup is a great idea. Garrett used to offer one (called it the blood hound) but it was finicky and unstable so people didnt like it and Garret never went back to try to perfect it. Users were better off going with a true 2-box like the TM-808

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i read of the small elliptical coil hitting targets at the depths talked of here like 14", i'm highly sceptical and jealous, you guys must have the mildest dirt possible to be getting what is basically air test depths.
I've been hunting the past 3-4 weeks with my buddy who's been using the elliptical coil, and it sucks for depth in our soil, he's certainly digging small items but said it's barely scratching the ground surface, but he loved it on stubble and freshly worked ground where there's more surface targets.
We did do a test on a hammered penny at 6" and it couldn't get a sniff of it, so he's going back to his 11" coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i read of the small elliptical coil hitting targets at the depths talked of here like 14", i'm highly sceptical and jealous, you guys must have the mildest dirt possible to be getting what is basically air test depths.
I've been hunting the past 3-4 weeks with my buddy who's been using the elliptical coil, and it sucks for depth in our soil, he's certainly digging small items but said it's barely scratching the ground surface, but he loved it on stubble and freshly worked ground where there's more surface targets.
We did do a test on a hammered penny at 6" and it couldn't get a sniff of it, so he's going back to his 11" coil.

What frequency is he using? If he is using 74 khz, all the time, then yes that will limit depth to a certain degree. But I have both HF coils, you can dial either back down to 13 khz to gain high conductor depth on par with the LF coils and I have found the 28khz seems to be the sweet spot (decent depth for high conductors, hits plenty hard on mid-conductors). Bottom line is that I use the 9" hf as my everyday coil and have not missed the 9" OR the 11" LF at all (I never found the 11" to be much deeper (<1") than the 9", though it did provide the advantage of increased ground coverage per swing). I whip out the 9x5 elliptical for tight spots or if I want to crank it to 74khz for some reason. Thinking harder about it for everyday use based on Smokey's experience, but that is probably just a function of Smokey being both incredibly good and incredibly lucky. A pretty dangerous combo.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The elliptical coil doesn't get as deep as the hf round coil, true. What settings did your buddy try on the 6" hammered? He should be able to get a 6" hammered with the elliptical, even at 74kHz (unless masked by something huge) in mineralized soil. Generally speaking IMO 3 main things affect depth- decreasing Reactivity/Silencer, increasing Audio Response, and increasing Volume. If he has not yet, your buddy should read vfarrari's entries on TNet and watch Calabash Diggers youtube videos on the XP Deus. Also there are tutorial videos the XP Deus Skill School has about the HF coils where Gary shows tests in mineralized soils. So many ways to customize the Deus.

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been helping with his settings, and using all the usual trick settings it just couldn't hit the hammered, but we both kind of suspected that would be the case before he bought it, as even the 11" struggles to hit it at 7", and to be honest plenty of other machines i've used have struggled the same, it's a hard target in our soil.
But i can see areas where it would be a stellar performer, mostly on our old medieval sites if they were ever ploughed and bringing more targets near the surface, but ploughing seems to be happening less and less here.
I feel the Deus is capable of better depth, in goldfield it performs much better, if XP could devise i simple 2 tone, low filter option with the goldfield depth it would be awesome in my soil.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beep1971 knows his way around the deus, hes got tough soil a depth killer!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beep1971 knows his way around the deus, hes got tough soil a depth killer!

Plus he's the one that got us started on Pitch unmasking. Never would have thought of that on my own.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The elliptical. To be honest I have the 9" round HF as my everyday coil, not the elliptical. Even though I have seen with my own eyes the crazy high conductive stuff that Smokey incredibly pulls out of the ground at 74 khz, the scientist in me still says that shouldn't be and I stay down in the 14 to 28 khz range. What I do not have a good feel for, and I do not recall if Calabash exhaustively air tested this or test garden tested this is the depth difference between the round and the elliptical at 14 and 28 khz for the same high and mid conductive targets.

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's deadly in that pitch setting around old nails, i think it's the best i've used at alerting to a target from multiple approach angles, certainly up's the odds and lessons the need for griding a site, it's worth having the Deus just for that purpose lol

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to see an air test on the 9"hf across it's freq range.

Re: The elliptical. To be honest I have the 9" round HF as my everyday coil, not the elliptical. Even though I have seen with my own eyes the crazy high conductive stuff that Smokey incredibly pulls out of the ground at 74 khz, the scientist in me still says that shouldn't be and I stay down in the 14 to 28 khz range. What I do not have a good feel for, and I do not recall if Calabash exhaustively air tested this or test garden tested this is the depth difference between the round and the elliptical at 14 and 28 khz for the same high and mid conductive targets.

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for you guys with the HF coils. Let's say you are hunting a site with the LF coil on say 17khz. If you were to change to the round HF coil do you have to adjust any of the settings? If so which would you have to adjust?

You guys are making me want one and just wondering.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for you guys with the HF coils. Let's say you are hunting a site with the LF coil on say 17khz. If you were to change to the round HF coil do you have to adjust any of the settings? If so which would you have to adjust?

You guys are making me want one and just wondering.

No adjustments needed. Just take into consideration there is not TX power or ID norm adjustment with the HF coil. Everything else is the same as setting the LF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread